• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LS guys - Clutch?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I purchased an LS7 clutch for my previous GTO. Great feeling clutch. It was put in the car probably 40k miles ago and survived multiple track days slamming gears and hard launches.

The current owner who's a friend of mine still has it in the car and it has not failed. It's held over 550hp-600 hp for those entire 40k miles

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
I purchased an LS7 clutch for my previous GTO. It's held over 550hp-600 hp for those entire 40k miles

I threw an LS7 clutch in my old GTO;.

Another LS7 guy here. .
3 GTO's get an LS7 vote. I know the hydraulics are a little different, the slave cylinder for sure. Not sure if that's why it works for you, But I really don't want to chance it,which sucks cause its a great price on the package

Ls7 for me also and I love it
Fbody or in a goat too?

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
Honesty if you want that stock like pedal feel that can hold moderate HP the LS7 is the only way to go.

The problem I have is I only want to do this 1 more time, it's a toy as I don't drive it much. I'm full weight+ and up on the power a bit. I've seen mixed reviews on the LS7 with more bad for Fbodys than good. Plus I'm debating on boost so I'd rather get a clutch for where I might be. I'd rather spend a bit more money than do it again, plus Im cheap lmao

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Another, albeit more costly option, to retain OEM pedal feel, but yet high clamping force to handle power, is a twin-disc setup.

I do have to say, even my Monster L4 is pretty easy pedal wise. I've had SPEC's before where I could barely get out of the car after a drive from the workout simply working the clutch pedal.

As to the hydraulics. If I recall correctly, the ONLY difference between the F-Body Slave and the GTO slave is how the hydraulic line connects to it. Otherwise they're identical. Many GTO owners have saved money by using the F-Body slave and changing to the F-Body hydraulic line.

I would also recommend a speed bleeder if it's in the budget. Makes life easier bleeding it out which is necessary before first use.

I used to have pictures of both slaves, but I think once I closed down my photobucket account, those pics didn't make it over to my Imgur account.

Editing;
I found a pic where it shows my hydrualic line for the clutch when I replaced mine. See the hose on the left hanging down. It then uses a pin to hold it to the slave once connected. The F-Body's used more of a quick-connect style fitting like you would have on an air-compressor quick-connect;

P0qwSmp.jpg

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
mandatory new slave and speed bleeder. after a certain point whats another couple hundred? I'm dropping the trans to see whats going on in there but it started slipping in 4th. So I figure I'm going to put new shit in since its out so I hopefully don't have to do it again for a while.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
That's one of the reasons I went Level 4... For future mod stupidity... I didn't want to do ANOTHER damn clutch. They aren't hard to do, just a PITA. The stupid part is our shifter knob. At least the F-Body's just screwed on. Ours are that silly snap connector where if you're not careful, you'll break those. :D

Bad00ss

Rockford's Slow Junk
Apr 15, 2006
I always use spec stage 3 clutches. my car needed a clutch every season regardless of brand at this horsepower level and slicks and being raced every single weekend so Speed inc was hooking me up for $400 a clutch every time back in the day. it handled hundreds of 1.40 60fts and daily drove the car. wasnt a bad clutch. I think i've installed 3 of them. the ram clutches i installed lasted 2 months. With the Spec there was no break in. next day it was at the drag strip. a speed bleeder and new slave is a must. I always shimmed the slave.

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
I went with a Mcleod RST, and I have a shim kit ordered. Half the people say get the clutch/flywheel assembly balanced, half say it should of been done at the manufacture and the just installed it. Is there a local place that balances the assembly that anyone used?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info