đź‘‹ INTRO Another New Guy from the Burbs

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
Hello,

It's winter, cars are put away and no projects so I'm searching around and stumbled on this forum. I like anything that runs on fuel so this looks like it could be a great place to hang out and learn. Anxious to get rid of the snow, salt, cold and return to driving season.

Attachments

• IMG_3545.JPG
    IMG_3545.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5788.JPG
    IMG_5788.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 469054.jpg
    469054.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 108

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
Thanks everyone, trust me the cars look better in pictures than in person. I built them to drive and enjoy.

I got the 911 in a million pieces over 15 years ago and built it. It is a bit like the Johnny Cash song "One Piece at a Time". The car is a 69 but someone did the flares before I got it. I decided to go the IROC look. Engine is a 2.7 from a 77 911, trans is a 69 with a very short gear ratio, brakes from a 80's SC. The beauty of it is I am not afraid to drive. I have the old school 15" rims and wide tire choice is an issue. This summer I put a set of Nitto 275/50 drag radials on the back and I must say I am amazed how well they hold in the corners. I expected the sidewall to be soft but my guy at Discount Tire swore by them, and he was right! Oh the best part, painted by Macco in 2000.

I love the Sunfire nose on the GTO. I firmly believe the GTO's will be appreciated in time. They have to be one of the best bargains; IRS, rear drive, smooth/powerful V8, 6 speed and comfort. The GTO has some suspension work done to it and it handles the corners amazingly well for its' size. With the power advantage over the 911 it is quicker on most places except a very tight road / track. i put a 4.11 gear to help getting out of the corners and a few other bits.

It is bad when the best set of corners is a series of exit ramps! I guess it is good I don't like too near the Tail of the Dragon, I would be like some kind of junkie driving all day and night... oh wait that is what I do in the summer. :)

Daily Driver is a 2015 Impala, really wanted it to be an SS but common sense said go with an Impala otherwise the slippery slope of the modification bug would show up again. :)

Here are a few more pics of the 911, it is a driver quality car and will never be a show piece.

Thanks again for the welcome, I'll have to nose around and see what kind of cars / bikes you all have!

Attachments

• DSCN0174.jpg
    DSCN0174.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5790.JPG
    IMG_5790.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5791.JPG
    IMG_5791.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5892.JPG
    IMG_5892.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 96

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Thanks everyone, trust me the cars look better in pictures than in person. I built them to drive and enjoy.

I got the 911 in a million pieces over 15 years ago and built it. It is a bit like the Johnny Cash song "One Piece at a Time". The car is a 69 but someone did the flares before I got it. I decided to go the IROC look. Engine is a 2.7 from a 77 911, trans is a 69 with a very short gear ratio, brakes from a 80's SC. The beauty of it is I am not afraid to drive. I have the old school 15" rims and wide tire choice is an issue. This summer I put a set of Nitto 275/50 drag radials on the back and I must say I am amazed how well they hold in the corners. I expected the sidewall to be soft but my guy at Discount Tire swore by them, and he was right! Oh the best part, painted by Macco in 2000.

I love the Sunfire nose on the GTO. I firmly believe the GTO's will be appreciated in time. They have to be one of the best bargains; IRS, rear drive, smooth/powerful V8, 6 speed and comfort. The GTO has some suspension work done to it and it handles the corners amazingly well for its' size. With the power advantage over the 911 it is quicker on most places except a very tight road / track. i put a 4.11 gear to help getting out of the corners and a few other bits.

It is bad when the best set of corners is a series of exit ramps! I guess it is good I don't like too near the Tail of the Dragon, I would be like some kind of junkie driving all day and night... oh wait that is what I do in the summer. :)

Daily Driver is a 2015 Impala, really wanted it to be an SS but common sense said go with an Impala otherwise the slippery slope of the modification bug would show up again. :)

Here are a few more pics of the 911, it is a driver quality car and will never be a show piece.

Thanks again for the welcome, I'll have to nose around and see what kind of cars / bikes you all have!

6 speed, excellent, I have the same, mine is an 04 though. What suspension mods are you running?

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
Welcome.

Is that 911 for sale? Looks like a car I have been looking at for months. I have been afraid to go look at it because I would have to buy it. Haha

Yes it has been for sale, I've owned if over 16 years and had it for sale last fall. It never sold so I gave up. Everyone wants an original numbers matching car which this isn't. You are always welcome to check it out in spring. It won't tempt you. :)

6 speed, excellent, I have the same, mine is an 04 though. What suspension mods are you running?

The GTO has Lovells 20mm drop springs, Koni adjustable shocks/struts, all poly bushings everywhere, Spohn rear toe bars and some changes with the alignment. I have a Harrop dif cover to install in spring. Have you done much to yours?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yes it has been for sale, I've owned if over 16 years and had it for sale last fall. It never sold so I gave up. Everyone wants an original numbers matching car which this isn't. You are always welcome to check it out in spring. It won't tempt you. :)

I will probably take you up on that. I am not looking for a numbers matching car. I want one I can do what I want with and not worrying about it. And I can't afford a turbo car from that era. Those things have gone for crazy money over the last few years. lol

To be honest, what scared me more than anything is the body kit. It looks awesome but I worried about the quality on the install and how it's going to hold up over time. But I assumed it was a newer install. But knowing it has held up this long I doubt there is much to worry about. So ya, I will probably get in touch with you when the salt is off the roads. :hsughc:

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
I will probably take you up on that. I am not looking for a numbers matching car. I want one I can do what I want with and not worrying about it. And I can't afford a turbo car from that era. Those things have gone for crazy money over the last few years. lol

To be honest, what scared me more than anything is the body kit. It looks awesome but I worried about the quality on the install and how it's going to hold up over time. But I assumed it was a newer install. But knowing it has held up this long I doubt there is much to worry about. So ya, I will probably get in touch with you when the salt is off the roads. :hsughc:

The body is all steel turbo flares. I have pictures of the car without paint so you can see what it looked like. The body work is 20 years old so it has held up to the test of time. Shoot me a PM whenever you want to see it.

Thread Info