Vizio is stepping up their tv game - 2018 lineup demo

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Just sit tight. Give OLED 4k HDR a chance to come down in price. OLED blows even the best local dimming.

Instead of having 12 zones, 40, 100... its per pixel. So the contrast and the response time blows away Local dimming LED.

Tron: Legacy is a superb movie to show it off since so much of the Grid's sky is dark or nearly black. So the contrast and detail levels are amazing.

I'm waiting for the 65-80" TV's to come down into the price range I want to pay. Until then, my Samsung 1080p TV will do.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I still have my first 20" Vizio from 2005. It's in my kid's room and still works great. It's comical how bright the backlight is though. Blacks are a very light gray.

OLED has totally ruined me for LED tv's though. The iPhone has an OLED display and the color reproduction is just incredible. I'm probably not going to replace any TV's in the house until I can justify an OLED.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I still have my first 20" Vizio from 2005. It's in my kid's room and still works great. It's comical how bright the backlight is though. Blacks are a very light gray.

OLED has totally ruined me for LED tv's though. The iPhone has an OLED display and the color reproduction is just incredible. I'm probably not going to replace any TV's in the house until I can justify an OLED.

This exactly.

The display on my iPhone X looks amazing. My Samsung LED TV isn't bad, I actually think its quality is good. But compared to OLED its crap.

I watched a few movies on my X that show off very dark backgrounds like Tron: Legacy, and its a huge difference.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
mWhtwrn.png

:fu:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This exactly.

The display on my iPhone X looks amazing. My Samsung LED TV isn't bad, I actually think its quality is good. But compared to OLED its crap.

I watched a few movies on my X that show off very dark backgrounds like Tron: Legacy, and its a huge difference.

I think Netflix is serving up movies in Dolby Vision which the iPhone X is compatible with. Honestly, I can't believe I'm saying this, but my preferred method of watching movies these days is the iPhone X and my Bose Soundsports.

If Apple adds Dolby Atmos with the next update that's it for me. I've got no reason to ever home theater again.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Atmos at home is still pretty useless. My setup doesn't add THAT much.

And Netflix does Vision on most new programs.

I've never heard Atmos I don't think. But Samsung apparently is supporting it on their new phones. Any kind of mobile setup where you're getting more than stereo is fine by me.

To give some clarity on where things were last time I was REALLY into home theater, I had just finished setting up my flagship parent's basement theater. The system consisted of an LCD projector with resolution so low it looked like you were watching the movie through a screen door but that didn't matter because my Laserdisc player was only outputting something like 300 lines of resolution anyhow. I did have the latest and greatest in sound though: Dolby AC-3. That's OG before they changed the name to Dolby Digital. You kids will never know the struggle.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Hell, I still have my 2005 46" Sony Bravia XBR rocking in my garage. Spent about $3500 at Circuit City. That tv kept up for a good 10 or so years before the newer TVs got even better.

I also have a 50" Plasma in the bedroom. Then newer TVs in the living room, daughter's bedroom, and guest bedroom.

I do plan on eventually getting OLED but nothing in the near future.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I've never heard Atmos I don't think. But Samsung apparently is supporting it on their new phones. Any kind of mobile setup where you're getting more than stereo is fine by me.

To give some clarity on where things were last time I was REALLY into home theater, I had just finished setting up my flagship parent's basement theater. The system consisted of an LCD projector with resolution so low it looked like you were watching the movie through a screen door but that didn't matter because my Laserdisc player was only outputting something like 300 lines of resolution anyhow. I did have the latest and greatest in sound though: Dolby AC-3. That's OG before they changed the name to Dolby Digital. You kids will never know the struggle.
Oh really?

:)

I still have it, and it still WORKS. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Terminator 2: Judgement Day in AC-3 RF. :io:

15359976407_e6bf977328_o.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
That demo is actually really cool and does a good job explaining the difference in a $500 tv vs a $1500 tv when they are both the same resolution and both LED.

I’m extremely happy with my current 1080 LG tv except 3 years later now I’m starting to get some light bleed in the corners. I suspect the video above is explaining why. Luckily it’s only noticeable when it’s a full black screen with bright text in the middle and even then it’s just me being anal (my wife claims she can’t see it). But ultimately I think I’m going to do a OLED tv when I finally replace this tv. Then I’ll never have to worry about light bleed again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info