Chicagoland HD2 stations

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
From the WLUP going under thread... seems like some people don't know of the HD2 stations...

I hadn't really sought them out until that thread. but it seems like they are a touch spotty out this way... probably better reception closer to chicago... but in my quick scan last night...

93.1.2 - blues & jazz stuff

99.5.2 is "the wolf"

95.5.2 is like a 93.9 station

101.1.2 is super similar to the loop's format... etc.

do vehicles have factory stereos that receive these? my truck has an aftermarket kenwood unit and i press channel up once HD is highlighted

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Both my cars have HD radio's but I've never looked into listening to the HD only channels. I know it jumps to a HD signal if it's in range but it's not a different channel. Only reason I know this is when the HD signal isn't strong enough it drops to the SD signal and the volume drops drastically.

I also need to learn how to tune to HD channels only.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

OH great, so way down in Will, Kendall & Kankakee county where I'm always at it's probably useless :(
I can't even get 1/2 the digital TV stations and I have a decent antenna.

Can't you see the antenna's from Addison???

No. :rofl: Im not far from the city, but Im not "close" either. I get HD channels, but going behind a tall building in Schaumburg, or under an overpass, I lose it and it takes a hot second to come back.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
My car get HD radio, and I used to use it all the time, but none of the stations really had much that I wanted. 93.1.2 a couple years ago used to be new music, but it was constantly playing the same shit, and they rarely updated the song list. When they were it was awesome, because no commercials. I have to be in the right mood for blues/jazz.

And [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION], that list is a little old...It still lists 93.1.2 as rock/channel X. There's a few other stations that are different too. Still there's some other interesting stations on there I will have to check out.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
It's so weird...as soon as you get a block off of Dundee, you have perfect reception, but if you are on Dundee you have almost zero radio reception, let alone HD. For awhile my GF thought her radio was bad because her entire commute is Dundee, and she never was able to get reception. She was new to the area, and didn't understand that Dundee is a dead zone.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
In a nutshell, I think part of the issue lies in the fact that the digital sub has usually broadcasts somewhere in the 1% - 4% window of the ERP of the main FM (the FCC will allow up to 10%). If they (the broadcaster) start increasing this up to that 10% limit, they risk potentially cause interference with their main FM signal and could possibly overpower it.

So point being, the digital sub has a very low power signal by comparison to keep from overpowering the main FM. Which sucks for stations in Chicago, due to the already low main FM low ERP.

For example, the Loop, or now I guess to be correctly stated, 97.9, is a class B licensed station with somewhere around 4,000 watts. That 1% - 4% average power window for the sub, would be 40 - 160 watts...

Now if you go out to a more rural area, where the station broadcasts an FM signal with 100,000 watts of power, an HD sub would be significantly stronger and get better coverage. The flip side of that though is that if you're rural, there probably isn't a need for an HD signal to begin with as no one is really listening due to population to begin with...

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Perfect example, a big power FM signal here in the midwest, WIXX out of Green Bay.

Class C, 96,000 watts, broadcasts from southeast of Green Bay on Scray's Hill (outside of the main population of the area), has ZERO HD channels.

There is no need for it because there isn't enough population for all their main FM's to have a sub-digital channel. And truth be told, they're just getting running water and regular electricity up there... Nothing fancy like "HD Radio" is happening up there... :D

Regardless, if they had, 96kw of power @ 1% is just under 1,000 watts of digital power. 4% is 3,840 watts, and the full 10% allowed, would put it at 9,600 watts. Taking out factors such as height of tower and HAAT, You'd have zero issue getting that. :D

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
My car get HD radio, and I used to use it all the time, but none of the stations really had much that I wanted. 93.1.2 a couple years ago used to be new music, but it was constantly playing the same shit, and they rarely updated the song list. When they were it was awesome, because no commercials. I have to be in the right mood for blues/jazz.

And [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION], that list is a little old...It still lists 93.1.2 as rock/channel X. There's a few other stations that are different too. Still there's some other interesting stations on there I will have to check out.

K THEN FIND A BETTER LIST WHYDONTCHYA

THAT'S WHY I MADE THE THREAD :trump::trump::trump::trump:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info