WLUP FM Sold

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
The legendary Chicago rocker has just been sold!

WLUP FM which has been around much of my life and has been a preset on my radios since I had a car has been sold to a Christian radio group.

https://mediaconfidential.blogspot.com/2018/03/chicago-radio-shocker-emf-to-acquire.html

The news marks the end of an era for the station whcih has been WLUP-FM, since March 1977. The station was nicknamed "The Loop FM98" after the main business district in Chicago.

huh. Didn't see THAT coming....

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Maybe I'm too damn old, but I listen to the LOOP all day except during that idiot in the morning.
Is their ratings so bad a religion channel will make more money???
How many people listen to a religion channel, I have never met anyone, EVER!!
Including an old G/F that was a religious nut job that went to church at least 3 times a week.

I guess it'll be between 87 & 97.1 only. This is sad sad news for us old guys.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Good. They’ve been playing the same shit for 40 years. Only so many times you can hear the Stones Satisfaction twice an hour.

FINALLY.

:rofl:

i was reading all these posts like holy shit i had no idea this many people listened to them....

i couldn't stand how old all of their music typically was

"and now a new one from nirvana!!!!"

WAIT WHAT

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
104.3 jams is pretty good but you hear biggie 8x a day

:fy: that's one of my go-to's now.

97.1 sucks now that they play 90's alternative stuff. Just like when oldies 104.3 went and started playing stuff from the 70's and 80's.

I've never noticed that. Usually when I'm listening it's after 8pm so maybe they don't play the newer stuff that late?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That sucks. Not that I listen to that station a lot, but it is nice to have the choice to listen to them if I want to.

poor mancow gon be out of a gig again

I think his net worth is like 10 million. I think he will be ok. Although he just bought a new home for 2 million. It will be interesting to see if he gets a new gig or not. And if it will it be in Chicago.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It isn't the first time Bible Thumpers have owned it. Years back Bonneville owned it, and they were a Mormon group if I recall... Although they really didn't do anything change wise with if vs. what EMF plans.

This has been in the works for awhile now. Merlin Media and Cumulus were in the courts if I recall over a purchase agreement and this seems to stem from that.

I'll be honest, the Loop has stunk since, well, the mid 90's and the late 70's through the 80's when you had Kevin Matthews (and Jim Shorts), Johnny B, Steve Dahl, etc... on the air. Ever since, they've had an identity crisis. Are we hard rock? Or are we Classic Rock? Do we dip into a little Alternative (like Q101 at the time), a little AOR (like the Drive), etc...

Q101 has sucked since they went alternative in the early 90's, mainly because they lost the big ratings driver... The Murphy in the Morning show, which was one of the biggest morning radio shows in Chicago at the time.

104.3 blows ass now. They took away a well produced "tight" (radio term), product in KHit's and replaced it with noise. Seriously, I came out from work one day started the vehicle, and that crap came blaring out. Anyway, their ratings are up now because everyone has tuned in to check it out, but we'll see if those ratings stick come November/December. It'll be a year since they flipped by that time and be telling of whether or not it'll be a promising format. As such, the exodus of K-Hit's listeners landed at WLS or if in the Western suburbs, 95.9 The River.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info