OpenWRT?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Anyone done this? I have an Atom D410 Server I'm thinking about tossing it on to replace my crappy Netgear Wireless N router. I've got a USB Wireless card for it. Is a USB Adapter okay with this, or am I better to get a PCI Card. If so which one should I get, and I'd prefer one I could bump to 2W later.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Haven't done any alternate firmware in a long time but seems like many of the newer routers are a bit more open to accepting those.

I have some SOHO shiat and am looking at plausibly going a bit beefier than that. No kill like overkill, if you look at the CPU requirements for even the basic routers they're a lot beefier than virtually any SOHO router.

Why not try pfSense or OPNsense?

I've been running pfSense for 3 years now and it has been rock solid.

Just need to check that Atom has AES-NI as I think the new pfSense versions are going to require it. OPNsense may not have that requirement.

It appears like I can do without it, I just won't get VPN performance that I would otherwise. I have a few spare systems, but really don't want to scope creep that far yet. Maybe I should though as a thought. Would be nice from a security stand point to have it set up as an OpenVPN Server.

My game plan now is to run 2 NICs in the system or use it as a stub router on top of a Catalyst 1G switch. 3750Gs are cheap as all getup now on ebay so I'll probably wind up with one.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
It appears like I can do without it, I just won't get VPN performance that I would otherwise. I have a few spare systems, but really don't want to scope creep that far yet. Maybe I should though as a thought. Would be nice from a security stand point to have it set up as an OpenVPN Server.

My game plan now is to run 2 NICs in the system or use it as a stub router on top of a Catalyst 1G switch. 3750Gs are cheap as all getup now on ebay so I'll probably wind up with one.

I pfSense running as a VM on my VMware host at my house, then feeds to a switch. Performance and speed is amazing. Just use port 1 on the box for WAN and then port 2 into your switch. Hang an AP or 2 off of the switch and call it a day. Bonus points if you get a POE switch and power the AP off that.

I've got a Ubiquiti AC-Pro right now and I love it. Awesome coverage, updates are a breeze, and it never needs to be restarted.

You could do the same with OpenWRT on there but I would avoid the USB wireless doo-dad. Get a real AP like a Ubiquiti or a Ruckus and never think about it again.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I run a OpenVPN server off pfSense as well and have the OpenVPN connect on all of our phones and iPads. It is great to be able to get into the network securely and if you set it up right you can get around almost all hotel throttling. I was streaming 1080p video from my Plex server to my hotel in Germany over the VPN.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mr_Roboto
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list