Network Guru

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
Alright all you networking guys. I have the Nighthawk R7500v2. It isn't a bad router persay, but it is giving me fits with this Gigabit internet. I understand that wifi has limitations and that wired is the way to go for achieving speeds. But I have tried multiple things with this router that claims to have Gigabit LAN ports. Below are the results.

The first image is wired.
79 - wifi 1ft away from the router
90 - same wifi test, 1st try
588 down - wired directly to modem
252 down - wired to the router

The 2nd image is 2 wifi results from my desktop, which is further away, but it seems like a huge drop off still.

I don't get how the wired drops more than 50%. That is the biggest thing that makes me think something is wrong. The wifi stuff can be dealt with, or just wired around if I can get wired to work properly.

Any recommendations on what to fix? I reset the router to factory defaults in case something was weird in a setting.

Attachments

• speed (1).PNG
    speed (1).PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 58
  • wifi-speed.PNG
    wifi-speed.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 62

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
What wireless protocol are you using to connect.
You probably need to be on 802.11ac at 5Ghz to get the max speed.
According to the Netgear router specs, it should be able to handle 1Gbps.

Although, your wired directly to modem test and directly to the router test is telling.
Have you tried a different computer to run the directly wired tests?

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
What wireless protocol are you using to connect.
You probably need to be on 802.11ac at 5Ghz to get the max speed.
According to the Netgear router specs, it should be able to handle 1Gbps.

Although, your wired directly to modem test and directly to the router test is telling.
Have you tried a different computer to run the directly wired tests?

I'm not looking to get the max speed out of wifi...With everything in my house and where everything is located, I am out of range of the 5Ghz channel and I know that. The biggest concern is the wired test.

I got my brother's new alienware laptop to test it. Other than unhooking my desktop and taking it downstairs, I don't have another computer to test on. I am looking to see if I have a long enough ethernet cable that can at least run to my desktop so I can try that.

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
that wired drop in half is surprising! i won't offer my speculation here as i'm not a network geek but curious if you get to the bottom of this what the explanations are.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I've tried everything I can think of and googled it and read a ton of forums. I just tried going back a few firmwares even to see if that fixes anything. Nothing yet!

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Run the speed test on dslreports.com and post the full results. Post Results wired to the modem, wired to the router and wireless 5ghz while being near the router. Try doing it while no other devices are connected, so change your wifi password to kick them all off temporarily and disconnect any other wired connections.

Also download the app called wifi analyzer and see how clogged the channels are near you to choose the best settings for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

It is most likely a QOS setting in the router causing the issue or the router software/hardware just can't handle any faster speeds.

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
Have you tried multiple wired tests directly to the modem? I thought I had a router issue recently w/ random packet loss (wired) and overall just spotty service (wireless)...turned out it was my modem. Edit: modem was older

Yes, pretty much everything has been done multiple times and everything has looked pretty much identical. This modem is brand new as well. The service guy even said "nice! I didn't know they were shipping these ones out already"

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
Run the speed test on dslreports.com and post the full results. Post Results wired to the modem, wired to the router and wireless 5ghz while being near the router. Try doing it while no other devices are connected, so change your wifi password to kick them all off temporarily and disconnect any other wired connections.

Also download the app called wifi analyzer and see how clogged the channels are near you to choose the best settings for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

It is most likely a QOS setting in the router causing the issue or the router software/hardware just can't handle any faster speeds.

I used the wifi analyzer. 2.4 was fine, 5g needed a new channel, so thanks for that.

wired to router - Speed result of 381.2/57.4 Mbps | DSLReports, ISP Information

wired to modem - Speed result of 648/55.1 Mbps | DSLReports, ISP Information

5g wireless - Speed result of 257.4/59.5 Mbps | DSLReports, ISP Information

My current solution is going to be drilling some holes from the basement up here and just running an ethernet cable from the modem to my desktop.

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
Currently messing with it slightly, nothing really changed so far. Ran a hard line up to my computer, so that part of it is fixed. The problem now is getting maxed out in regards to VPN service on downloads.

I have 6TB of bandwidth now though...so I guess I am going to need another hard drive or 3 lol

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
I was amazed that I could get gig service. I had called to cancel phone...ended up with phone still, but now gig service.

I mean how does Belvidere have this? And not in town Belvidere even lol
Who did you go through? Belvidere sucks, it's Comcast or dsl. I have 150/10 through Comcast with a 1TB cap

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I used to have MediaCom when I first moved into my subdivision in Hampshire. Either them or att dsl. Of course I wanted the faster speeds.... Between bad service and slow speeds.... I think I would have been better off with att dsl. But one glorious day an att rep came to my door and offered me fiber..... He had me at hello, we he fiber turned on in the neighborhood.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info