GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Time for a new HDD in my NAS.

I currently run 5 4TB WD Red drives in a 5 disk cage inside my desktop. I need to grow my RAID as I have less than 200GB free.

I haven't had issues with the Red drives but I've been reading into the HGST NAS drives. I'm leaning towards going the HGST drives out. Anyone have any experiences or opinions?

WD specifically says up to 8 drives in a system. Is that because of the vibrations? I'll be at 6 drives and am not sure if I'd have issues pushing above 8. I also am currently still running a desktop case. I want to avoid going rack mount as long as possible.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Time for a new HDD in my NAS.

I currently run 5 4TB WD Red drives in a 5 disk cage inside my desktop. I need to grow my RAID as I have less than 200GB free.

I haven't had issues with the Red drives but I've been reading into the HGST NAS drives. I'm leaning towards going the HGST drives out. Anyone have any experiences or opinions?

WD specifically says up to 8 drives in a system. Is that because of the vibrations? I'll be at 6 drives and am not sure if I'd have issues pushing above 8. I also am currently still running a desktop case. I want to avoid going rack mount as long as possible.

Drives won't matter. I think its just based on the failure rate for 8 drives in a Raid5 config. Chance of failure is much higher of of a two disk failure during a rebuild. FreeNAS RaidZ1 is much more forgiving.

I shelled 5 of the WD 8TB Mybooks because inside of them are the WD Reds, which are just Relabeled HGST Ultrastar HE8 drives. Been very nice.

Current NAS runs 5x 8TB RaidZ1 with a 5x 4TB RaidZ1. Lots of storage.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Drives won't matter. I think its just based on the failure rate for 8 drives in a Raid5 config. Chance of failure is much higher of of a two disk failure during a rebuild. FreeNAS RaidZ1 is much more forgiving.

I shelled 5 of the WD 8TB Mybooks because inside of them are the WD Reds, which are just Relabeled HGST Ultrastar HE8 drives. Been very nice.

Current NAS runs 5x 8TB RaidZ1 with a 5x 4TB RaidZ1. Lots of storage.

You like to live dangerously I see. 8TB drives all bought and shucked at the same time in a RAIDZ1. Sounds like a rebuild failure waiting to happen

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I would stick with the WD red drives, they are purpose built. I use them in my Synology and customer sites. Solid drives with very low failure rates in my experience.

I agree.

I have two NAS systems at work using the 6TB Red drives.
They've been running 24 hours a day for years with zero issues.

Those things are built to be run packed into a NAS system and can handle heat / vibrations.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info