75 Inch Samsung TV

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Considering a new TV and want to hear some opinions before I pull the trigger. I know there are deals coming soon and Best Buy is offering a few good ones now. I'm NOT going to deal with the craziness of Black Friday but would wait for Cyber Monday if anyone thinks it is worth it.

Max budget for this is $2500 if I had to guess. I know Sony, LG, and Samsung all make a good TV but wanted to see if there are any brands I should consider or stay away from.

Here are the two I like so far. I'm not up on this stuff so if there is any new technology worth having let me know.

This one is $1798 once you go to check-out.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/5844904.p?skuId=5844904

and this one.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...th-high-dynamic-range/5774200.p?skuId=5774200

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
I bought a 70" Vizio e70-e3 from Best Buy weds for 870. I dunno if there are many left as i hit two different stores and they were flying off the shelves.

The display is awesome but here's my one con. There is no internal tuner for the basic hd channels. I "cut the cord" years ago and mainly stream and play dvds so buying an external tuner is kind of a nuisance. Other than that the picture is amazing. I was actually in the market for a Sony Bravia 900 series.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I'm not a samsung guy personally but I know people that swear by them. My brother in law has a 75 samsung and he loves it, it does have a very nice picture. I just got the M70 Vizio and so far it's really nice. That being said I have a 65" LG that was maybe $800 ish last year. I think it has a better picture than the Vizio. So I would also look into the LG stuff. Sam's and Costco have good deals on tv's. I think our LG was $200 cheaper at Sam's compared to anyone else. Same with the vizio.

I will say the one thing i HATE about both my tv's is they didn't come with a light up remote. I wish they did.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I have a newer Vizio 70" M-series TV and it's been absolutely outstanding. Has HDR and 4K obviously. Backlighting, colors, and blacks are all fantastic. Haven't had any problems so far in 1 year of ownership and it was $1,299 on sale which is a pretty good price for the M series. This was last year's model though, not the newer one.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I have a newer Vizio 70" M-series TV and it's been absolutely outstanding. Has HDR and 4K obviously. Backlighting, colors, and blacks are all fantastic. Haven't had any problems so far in 1 year of ownership and it was $1,299 on sale which is a pretty good price for the M series. This was last year's model though, not the newer one.
Ever get yours to show in 2160p? I have 4k in netflix but it seems nothing streams in 4k and if i select something that does it still doesn't go that high. Usually stops at 1080p, not even sure if it has done 1440p but I'll check. I don't use the tv in that room much

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Is that tv on wifi or hardwired? If its wifi, it will likey have a hard time doing consistent 4k, especially if you have average speeds.

My LG is hardwired and I pull down the maximum 4k every time.

Stranger Things season 2, for example, should go 4k and Dolby Vision (assuming your tv supports DV) as a test.

Edit: See post #14

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Ever get yours to show in 2160p? I have 4k in netflix but it seems nothing streams in 4k and if i select something that does it still doesn't go that high. Usually stops at 1080p, not even sure if it has done 1440p but I'll check. I don't use the tv in that room much

It will with 4K content over amazon prime video. That's the only thing I've ever tried though TBH.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Can you measure the width of the stand feet? I have a 60" TV stand and I'm concerned it won't fit on it.

Honestly no matter what tv you end up with, just wall mount the thing. Even if it is a few inches above a cabinet a wall mount looks 1000x better than the stupid stands that come with the tv, especially in that large of a size

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Honestly no matter what tv you end up with, just wall mount the thing. Even if it is a few inches above a cabinet a wall mount looks 1000x better than the stupid stands that come with the tv, especially in that large of a size

I agree, mine is about 2 feet from the floor because the wall isn't that tall. I'll do that any day over a stand. Especially when having kids

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Considering a new TV and want to hear some opinions before I pull the trigger. I know there are deals coming soon and Best Buy is offering a few good ones now. I'm NOT going to deal with the craziness of Black Friday but would wait for Cyber Monday if anyone thinks it is worth it.

Max budget for this is $2500 if I had to guess. I know Sony, LG, and Samsung all make a good TV but wanted to see if there are any brands I should consider or stay away from.

Here are the two I like so far. I'm not up on this stuff so if there is any new technology worth having let me know.

This one is $1798 once you go to check-out.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/5844904.p?skuId=5844904

and this one.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...th-high-dynamic-range/5774200.p?skuId=5774200

I just purchased the bottom TV Saturday, will be delivered tomorrow. Will let you know if it's junk or not lol

To think.....went to BestBuy to get the GF a new dishwasher and ended up spending close to 3k with the 4 year warranty....doh

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Jesus, ok my first thoughts....
this TV is YUUUUGEEEE

CONSTRUCTION
This TV is very rigid, the legs just slip into the bottom with an interference fit. There's no screws or anything that hold them in, other than the sheer weight of unit. They support the tv very well and would require serious effort to tip it over. I opted away from wall mounting due to the massive size and to give myself the option to still re-arrange the furniture without having to fill in holes in the wall.

Back of the TV is very clean looking, you have 2 sections with only one side that provides cable routing. The other side has a cover with a hole in it to allow the lan cable to come out.

One section has ports for LAN/USB/Ex-Link(diag port), the other for the One Connect module and power cable. You can completely hide and run the power cord and one-connect cables through the back and out the foot of the TV to on the left side. Very neat!

INPUTS
I plugged in everything, turned the TV on, it detected and named my inputs automatically. Xfinity, PS4, Xbox One. That was pretty badass.

There are zero inputs on the back of the unit and instead uses the Samsung One Connect box with a proprietary cable. I kinda like it seeing as I don't have to fumble around the backside of the TV for inputs. However I dislike it as it's just another potential failure point. Also when you have 3 hdmi cables being used, with a digital out for surround, the box almost seems kinda cumbersome as you have cables sticking out from 2 of the 4 sides.

Hide the box and it's not a problem I suppose. Mine's sitting on top of the xbox for now.

Older tech that utilizes component/composite connections, you're going to have issues, as there is only USB/RF/HDMI/Optical ports. So I'm trying to figure out how to hook up my PS2/PS1. Might use a composite to RF adapter or a Composite to HDMI converter. The Aquos had composite ports, so I'll see how that works.

PICTURE QUALITY
Picture is amazing when you have a true 4k setup. 1080p is OK looking, but I'm wondering if that's just to be expected with such a large panel size. Best way to put it, the 1080p looks far more crisp and clear on my 60" AQUOS, but it was also much smaller.

Gaming, PS4 original kinda looks like ass compared to the XBOX 1 S. Best way to relate it.... the difference is almost like 720p vs 1080p when it first came out if that tells you anything. Might end up selling the PS4 for a PS4 Pro just because of it, it's that noticeable.

Netflix, had to up my subscription plan for UHD. The few items I watched on there briefly simply looked amazing. Very happy with the overall picture

CONTROLLER
If I were to say there were one thing I don't like about this TV, it's the remote. They have a feature rich tv with a tiny remote with virtually no buttons that looks like a damn bedroom toy. It can be frustrating trying to move through the menu just to change the input or get into the settings. (There's no settings or menu button on the remote)

On the plus side, you can control your xfinity box through the TV remote. You give the remote voice commands, and it transfers those commands to your cable box. Pretty neat.

Final thought - I'm still debating if it was worth it until I can test it more. But it's definitely the best TV I've ever owned picture and size wise. I only had a few hours worth of testing last night, but can update with any questions if you have any

Attachments

• 20171121_185617.jpg
    20171121_185617.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20171121_185742.jpg
    20171121_185742.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20171121_232759.jpg
    20171121_232759.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 44
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info