Router/extender for detached garage

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
My wifi signal in the garage isn't the best. I think it's part of the reason I have trouble with my phone disconnecting with my Chromecast audio. try to avoid extenders/repeaters as much as possible but I think it's time. My first thought was that I was worried about the humidity. The first few routers / repeaters I've looked at said they are only good to 32*. Am I stuck shelling out for an outdoor range extender? How will it hold up to the humidity if I just disconnect it for the winter? I don't spend a lot of time out there when it's cold. Any thoughts or suggestions?

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Is there not an option to run a hardwire into the garage from the house?
It's always an option. If I owned and wasn't renting I'd be more inclined.
Higher gain antenna for your router?
I haven't had good luck the one time I tried. Putting the router in a better location is what I should have done in the first place but where it's at is where it is staying for the foreseeable future.
Look into the Ubiquiti products. Something like a Nano station can be mounted outside your house towards your garage. Or you could mount it in your garage and use it as a bridge or extender.

It's got a higher gain antenna and might pick up what is there a little better.
I was thinking of using a router as a repeater as being the easiest / best option. I know it slows the bandwidth down but for what I'm using it for I don't see that being an issue. I'm just worried about the temperature and humidity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info