Windows 10 sound issue

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
IT just put a new PC with windows 10 at my desk today. (after delaying and saying it would be done yesterday, but stories for another time)

I log in and notice that I have no sound coming from my speakers. Figuring IT is IT and has a hard time doing things, like plugging in speakers, I go and check everything, and surprisingly everything is plugged in where it needs to be. For funziez I even tried all the plugs, the two in the back (which one is for a mic) and the one in the front, and no sound anywhere. Windows thinks everything is hunky dory. I even tried a set of headphones I have and zero sound.

I go to try and look and update drivers and get a big ol FU YOU CANT DO THAT YOU ARE NOT ADMINISTRATOR NOM NOM NOM (that really needs to be a pop up windows box.)

I cant even run troubleshooter cause IM NOT ADMINISTRATOR NOM NOM NOM. Im not here during the day, when of course IT is here, so trying to do anything with them is a game of phone tag that I never win.

Any Windows 10 admins out there got any tips?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
- Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray next to the clock.

- Click on "Playback Devices".

- Click on "Speakers" and then click on the "Set default" button.

- Make sure the volume is up.

Tried all of it. Made sure everything wasn't muted or anything before I felt like an idiot.

I called IT and he did the list of questions. Said I should hear something. Skyped into my pc and took control. Saw everything and tried playing some sounds. No sound. Said he submitted a ticket to send someone. I'm already home so we will see.

I was local admin on my last 2 machines but the guy said (we have never let anyone be local admin). Ok dude.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i've had wonky sound things on multiple win10 machines, don't know why it's a challenge all of a sudden. including it working like trash on a fresh laptop install cuz lower power mode or something.

in any case if they ever open a command line on your machine with admin and you are able to slip in and use it, just make a local admin account from there. i name mine SQLNET and nobody ever notices it. i'm usually given admin anyway so i haven't had to figure out how to hax0r da windows for a while to give it to myself other ways.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I should have upgraded when it was free. I think you have to pay for it now.

download the windows 10 media creation tool. so long as you win7/8 is legit and activated it will download/upgrade to windows 10 for free.

windows 10 creators update fucked my sound card. i've got a soundblaster zxr and now once a week it forgets that it's there. i have to move the card to another PCI-E slot to get it to work again. apparently it's a software issue and creative is shit when it comes to driver support. :picard:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
- Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray next to the clock.

- Click on "Playback Devices".

- Click on "Speakers" and then click on the "Set default" button.

- Make sure the volume is up.

I was gonna say this. :D

My issues with Win10, is that there is no equalizer or other way to adjust the sound to my liking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info