Xbox Scorpio specs released - huge MEH.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Honestly YES Im looking for computer level graphics at this point. But here is what they have.

CPU - eight custom x86 cores clocked at 2.3GHz
GPU - 40 customised compute units clocked at 1172MHz
12GB of GDDR5 RAM with a memory bandwidth of 326GB/s
1TB 2.5-inch hard drive
UHD Blu-ray drive
Integrated power supply
Input/output options as per Xbox One S (so HDMI out, HDMI in, USB 3.0 port x 2 IR out, S/PDIF, Networking port, Lock port).

So we are looking at AMD FX8350 ish cpu and a mix between 980ti/1070 GPU power. NOT even close to enough juice to do real 4k and any level of good detail/FPS. The gold standard now is 4k@60fps. 4K@30FPS is vomit worthy gameplay. Not playable at all. If this is all they got, then they are finally able to run full 1080p@60FPS. Thats it. 4K is a pipe dream, let alone 1440p.

According to the Eurogamer report the clock rates for the GPUs are "very high" and does achieve Microsofts stated six teraflop promise.

Overall, the estimate is that the CPU is 30% faster than Xbox One while the GPU is 4.6 times faster.

The big deal however is apparently the amount of high speed memory the console can use. Of that 12GB mentioned, 4GB is used for the system, leaving 8GB just for games, 5GB more than the Xbox One. A slight upgrade then. One example of the benefit that will give is "fast streaming of very high-quality art assets", suggesting that will help with 4K output. While it's not confirmed, Digital Foundry seem fairly sure Scorpio will be able to run a standard Xbox One 1080p game at 4K with little trouble.

Try again.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
They are sticking with 4k@60fps.

Thats a great goal. But those specs are just barely on par with two years ago hardware.

Just now with the 1080 Ti, are most games able to run at that magic 4k@60fps. They are dreaming if they think thats possible without watering down the graphics to horrible levels.

I have an i7 6700hq/1070 system that can barely get 4k@60 without running all the settings for any of my AAA titles on their low settings.

You console guys can argue all you want, there is just now high end PC hardware thats able to run 4k@60 with ultra or even high graphics.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Dude, why don't you actually read the article? The CPU has a dx12 component that reduces CPU load by 50%. They were able port forza 6 to 60fps 4k in 2 days and only had to utilize 65% gpu.

Xbox master race. It will play as good as your computer.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
giphy.gif

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Thats a great goal. But those specs are just barely on par with two years ago hardware.

Just now with the 1080 Ti, are most games able to run at that magic 4k@60fps. They are dreaming if they think thats possible without watering down the graphics to horrible levels.

I have an i7 6700hq/1070 system that can barely get 4k@60 without running all the settings for any of my AAA titles on their low settings.

You console guys can argue all you want, there is just now high end PC hardware thats able to run 4k@60 with ultra or even high graphics.

You have to remember that since the Scorpio is going to be a unified hardware platform it can be much better optimized for the hardware. Devs won't have to take into account infinite combinations of hardware that are present in a PC.

Games will be tailor made for the console hardware which is why you can squeeze performance out of less.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Dude, why don't you actually read the article? The CPU has a dx12 component that reduces CPU load by 50%. They were able port forza 6 to 60fps 4k in 2 days and only had to utilize 65% gpu.

Xbox master race. It will play as good as your computer.

DX12 has been shit. I've been playing games with it for the last year. Rise of the tomb raider, BF1 and a few others. You actually get the same or in most cases worse FPS with DX12. Thats not going to help you.

You can cry baby over your favorite game, and its awful DX12 showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvc82bKvqAI

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

You are missing the fact that the software is built specifically for the hardware so there is a good chance it is optimized to run 4k@60fps even though the hardware, if built in a custom PC running Windows, technically may have trouble running it at those specs.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
You are missing the fact that the software is built specifically for the hardware so there is a good chance it is optimized to run 4k@60fps even though the hardware, if built in a custom PC running Windows, technically may have trouble running it at those specs.

I get that. But DX12 games have been being optimized for the last year and they still rarely even match DX11. There are plenty of comparison videos to show this.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Dont get me wrong. 4K@60 will happen for the new consoles. The level of detail will be shit though. Check out the real difference between a PC running GTAV 4k with ultra settings, vs the xbox one S running GTAv with 4k enabled. Its night and day. Plus the xbox one S can still barely run GTAV in 1080p without dropping frames horribly.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I get that. But DX12 games have been being optimized for the last year and they still rarely even match DX11. There are plenty of comparison videos to show this.
Yeah but that doesn't matter when software is built specifically for a set of hardware. You are trying to compare them apples to apples when they are completely different on the back end. Yes it's the same game on both platforms, but that's about where it ends.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Dont get me wrong. 4K@60 will happen for the new consoles. The level of detail will be shit though. Check out the real difference between a PC running GTAV 4k with ultra settings, vs the xbox one S running GTAv with 4k enabled. Its night and day. Plus the xbox one S can still barely run GTAV in 1080p without dropping frames horribly.
But most console owners don't give a shit that much about quality. They want to play the game and not have to worry about all the extra stuffed involved in gaming on PC.

A majority of people can't even tell the difference between 1080 and 4k.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I'll laugh when Scorpio is hitting 4k ultra graphics on rdr2. Just watch. If forza can easily hit the mark in 2 days then why wouldn't everything else with months of optimization? This isn't a pc, it's a custom built console that devs can code for. Your over priced pc just became obsolete.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
DX12 has been shit. I've been playing games with it for the last year. Rise of the tomb raider, BF1 and a few others. You actually get the same or in most cases worse FPS with DX12. Thats not going to help you.

You can cry baby over your favorite game, and its awful DX12 showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvc82bKvqAI

Which of those computers had a custom dx12 chip? None? Ok.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info