Big week ahead for Space X

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Space X is going to launch the first previously used rocket ship this week from Florida.

If the flight is successful, it will mark a new era in space ship launch costs.

On Thursday, SpaceX is set to launch yet another satellite into orbit from the Florida coast — but this mission will be far from routine for the company. The Falcon 9 rocket that SpaceX is using for the launch has already flown before. Around the same time last year, it sent cargo to the International Space Station for NASA, and then came back to Earth to land upright on a floating drone ship at sea. This is the first time that SpaceX will attempt to reuse one of its rockets.

It’s a feat that SpaceX has been working toward for more than five years now, and it could be a watershed moment for the aerospace industry. Up until now, practically all rockets that can achieve orbit are either destroyed or go unrecovered after each mission. That means an entirely new rocket — which costs tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to make — has to be built for each launch. But SpaceX’s plan has been to recover its rockets after launch rather than throw them away, so that the vehicles can be used again. That way, the company can save on manufacturing a completely new vehicle, and potentially lower the cost of each mission.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/28/15071288/spacex-launch-recycled-falcon-9-rocket-landing-schedule

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Space X performed a preflight engine burn on March 27.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA2NC8xMjcvb3JpZ2luYWwvc3BhY2V4LXRlc3QtZmlyZXMtbGFuZGVkLXJvY2tldC5qcGVn

This is actually a pretty momentous week for mankind. Brings us one step closer to Mel Reynolds buying Serenity in a spaceship junkyard.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Flyn
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list