Cable/ Internet recommendations

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Looking to start cable TV and internet service at my new house. I'm a big fan of Comcast's X1 platform, but I'm open to suggestions. I only need 25mb internet, It's all we had at my parents house and I never had an issue streaming, multiple devices on wifi, xbox live, etc... Anyone familiar with current offers from comcast, DirecTv or Dish for a cable/internet package?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Just don't do internet over satellite.

or DSL if you have more then one person streaming anything.

I didn't plan on it. Lmao.

Anyone with Comcast, the X1 starter pack is like $80/month for 24 months, how fucked am I over that $80 in monthly fees and such? I only need the one DVR box and then two of the little boxes for basement and bedroom...

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I felt bait and switched with Comcast. 2 years ago I ordered the X1 system with their medium 75mb internet. When the guy came to install the service, he was like fyi this price does not include HD service. Um seriously??

Then he was like well HD is an extra 10 a month, then the router is another monthly charge, then that package did not include DVR service etc etc etc.

When we moved I went with direct tv and att. Not as fast internet wise but couldn't be happier. No hidden baits and switches so far. Everything was as expected

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I just picked their most advertised package. Now keep in mind that was still advertised at about 80 dollars a month. So for 80 bucks I didnt even get HD? How is that even still an option?

So now I pay a total of 90 per month for twice the channels, awesome picture quality, and full DVR service. With direct tv. I personally feel they are way better priced

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
So now I pay a total of 90 per month for twice the channels, awesome picture quality, and full DVR service. With direct tv. I personally feel they are way better priced

.....unless it's raining, snowing, storming, or if the wind just tickles your satellite right. I'll never have satellite again. Comcast has never had close to the outages that satellite did. Plus, Comcast just offers the best for internet. My mom pays just as much for 12mbps thru att as we do for 105 thru Comcast, and att only offers a max of like 45mbps.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I have only had an issue when the storm starts to get really bad. Normal rain, normal storms do not affect mine. If your dish is installed and aimed properly you wouldn't have those issues.

The last round of bad storms that went through 2 weeks ago only caused us a small outage and that was when shit was hitting the fan

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I've personally experienced all three systems as we've bounced around for the best deals at my parents house. I never really had issues with the dish loosing reception, but, when it did happen it was during a fucked up storm when all I wanted to do was sit inside and watch TV :rofl: My biggest draw to comcast is their on demand system. All the satellite based ones can't hold a candle to comcast.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
dish's customer service was fucking awesome for me.

We had dish forever. I really liked it, and, I still remember where all the channels are lol. We got rid of dish for comcast right before the X1 system came out, my dad switched it because he hated the old comcast format. I loved it because having no DVR hookup in my room the OnDemand was key. I'm thinking DirecTv is going to be the best bang for my buck on internet and TV service. I'd like to have three TV's hooked up and from what I'm seeing you're allowed up to four with no additional fees.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
DirectTV has some good deals too, just get Comcast for internet only then.

Just don't do internet over satellite.

I have a friend in bumble and all they can get is HughesNet. 10Mbps and 700ms latency :rofl:. The future of satellite internet is about to get interesting with this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_satellite_constellation

SpaceX will be launching thousands of low orbit satellites for low-latency, worldwide gigabit internet access. The satelites will be about 800 miles away from earth, much lower than current ones, this will drastically lower latency to around 30ms.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
.....unless it's raining, snowing, storming, or if the wind just tickles your satellite right. I'll never have satellite again. Comcast has never had close to the outages that satellite did. Plus, Comcast just offers the best for internet. My mom pays just as much for 12mbps thru att as we do for 105 thru Comcast, and att only offers a max of like 45mbps.

How much do you pay for internet? I have AT&T and I'm sure I pay relatively close for faster speeds. :dunno: I have had some issues here and there with bad weather with my DirecTV, but I've had more problems with Comcast (both internet and cable).

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
We had dish forever. I really liked it, and, I still remember where all the channels are lol. We got rid of dish for comcast right before the X1 system came out, my dad switched it because he hated the old comcast format. I loved it because having no DVR hookup in my room the OnDemand was key. I'm thinking DirecTv is going to be the best bang for my buck on internet and TV service. I'd like to have three TV's hooked up and from what I'm seeing you're allowed up to four with no additional fees.

Read the fine print. I have DirecTV. You'd most likely sign a 2 year contract, and the promotion is usually good for a year or a year and a few months. Then you pay for everything. Right now I'm paying just shy of $200/month with 1 HD DVR and 2 Genie minis. I also have Xtra package with premium channels. The premium channels alone are $54/month. I know Mook has not issues chatting with them and getting discounts. I, for some reason, have somewhat of a hard time to get any discounts. Right now they're going to give me a discount on the premium channels for 6 months.

Just something to keep in mind.

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
How much do you pay for internet? I have AT&T and I'm sure I pay relatively close for faster speeds. :dunno: I have had some issues here and there with bad weather with my DirecTV, but I've had more problems with Comcast (both internet and cable).

We have one of the combo packages so it doesn't break it down to what just the internet costs. We pay $180 for "preferred plus" TV including HBO/Starz/HD/DVR, and 105mbps internet with modem rental. In the 4 years we've had Comcast here, I think it's gone out maybe 3/4 times.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Read the fine print. I have DirecTV. You'd most likely sign a 2 year contract, and the promotion is usually good for a year or a year and a few months. Then you pay for everything. Right now I'm paying just shy of $200/month with 1 HD DVR and 2 Genie minis. I also have Xtra package with premium channels. The premium channels alone are $54/month. I know Mook has not issues chatting with them and getting discounts. I, for some reason, have somewhat of a hard time to get any discounts. Right now they're going to give me a discount on the premium channels for 6 months.

Just something to keep in mind.

My parents have DirecTv and were able to secure a deal through Costco for a two year promotion with no equipment fees, etc. My dad priced it out last night and it's $105/mo for 240 channels and 45mb internet, also a $150 visa gift card but that's almost offset by a $99 one time fee. You can do the $175 channel package and it drops it $9/month but for MAV TV alone I'm willing to pay the difference.

Still undecided. It's something I have to live with for a while so I'm taking my time.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I am with Comcast and paying $85.44 after taxes and fee's. I have my own modem/router.

Blast Internet 75MBps down, 10MBps up.

Kinda hard to read on the bill what package I exactly have but sounds like a "Blast Plus" bundle. Digital Economy TV with HD and additional outlet.

I do not watch TV at all. Last time I did was the World Series. I want to cancel the TV but Comcast fucks me harder on the internet and I am only saving like $10 or $15. The only other internet that is available is Satellite at my location. I

Its bullshit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info