Gaming Anybody getting Horizon Zero Dawn?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
This is definitely a gorgeous game. One that must be seen on a 4k/HDR display. These pics can't even capture it.

8t5voOw.jpg

NeK04mW.jpg

zeVBb9M.jpg

The environment has dynamic day/night and weather cycles. And even the mechanical beasts you encounter early in the game can kill you w/out hesitation if you're not smart. Start to get a little cocky, and you die :rofl:

Probably have about 5 hours in the game now and I've barely advanced the story along. Just been going along trying to refine my hunting techniques, and gathering all sorts of resources to craft better things and give myself a little bit more of an edge. The voice acting and character models are bit....stiff, compared to like uncharted, but its not horrible.

Definitely hard to believe this game came from the people that did Killzone.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I've been contemplating on getting it. I still have a few games I need to beat and I need to do another run through Resident Evil 7.

I haven't touched RE7 in awhile. A couple weeks ago I started up Mafia 3 out of boredom and haven't been able to put it down. But now I've got zero dawn, and then next month mass effect, so I don't know when i'll get back to RE7. I'm sure at some point i'll get a hankering to throw on the VR headset and shit my pants one of these nights.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I haven't touched RE7 in awhile. A couple weeks ago I started up Mafia 3 out of boredom and haven't been able to put it down. But now I've got zero dawn, and then next month mass effect, so I don't know when i'll get back to RE7. I'm sure at some point i'll get a hankering to throw on the VR headset and shit my pants one of these nights.
I still have yet to complete FFXV. Add Zero Dawn and I'll probably never get back to FFXV. I'm still playing a bit of The Division (survival).

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Yeah i havent even bothered to buy FF. :rofl: I'll probably wait until it hits bargain bin and buy it and still not play it.

Finally just hit the first big "event" in this game and was not expecting to be taken in by it like i was. I'll say again, im shocked these are the same people that made the killzone games :rofl: which ive loved, but theyve never really been that heavy on plot and story telling. Not like this game is turning out to be.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Was playing for awhile, and was getting ready to take a break, but found one little side quest, I thought would be a simple fetch and return, figured why not. And before long one thing is leading me somewhere which is leading somewhere else, and somewhere else, and im going all over the god damn map for this side quest :rofl: And of course any time you travel anywhere you come across packs of machines that always seem to be right in the path you need to go thru, so you need to stop and deal w/ them, and your little side quest is taking way longer than you thought it would.

then theres of course the stopping to take pictures also.

fQTnfHD.jpg

AlFugvN.jpg

I do love just traveling around the map tho. Discovering things, gathering supplies for crafting. Hunting both animals and machines. Sometimes I love just not doing any quests and roaming around the map freely.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Nothing in this game takes as little time as you think it will. :rofl: Decided to avoid any quests and head over to this "Cauldron", which is a place you can venture into, and once you leave, you gain the ability to override a group of machines and use them to your will. Usually as mounts you can ride around the land. Cauldrons are not like any other place you will visit in this place. They are very mechanical, and very alive. Such a stark contrast to anything else you see in this game.

5NonjJX.jpg

tY1A6fB.jpg

There is a "boss fight" at the end, and the machine I had to defeat in this one......i threw absolutely everything i had at it. every ammo type id crafted, every trap i had, used up every health potion id made, even had to stop mid fight and craft more w/ what little supplies i had. I was victorious in the end. But god damn was it a battle.

I don't know where time goes when I play this game.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
A sling shot is the next item on my purchase list. I can more than afford it. I dont know why i havent bought one yet. Problem was that machine was vulnerable to freeze attacks, and the only thing i had in my arsenal for that was a few freeze traps.

The ONLY thing i dont i like about combat is how you have to cycle thru EVERYTHING in your inventory just to use one thing, while combat is still going on the whole time. Theres so many things in your disposal but you have to cycle to the exact item you need while the thing youre fighting is still very much attacking you. And these machines move FAST. You put some distance between you and them, and in an instant they're right back on you.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Exactly. It's like, set trap, attack them till they hit the trap, attack more while they are down, roll away as fast as possible and now make all the crap you just used so you can do it again lol. I used the electric trap and he would be stunned so I could bomb him or get close and do a critical hit. It was rough either way.

Thread Info