Official 2017 Oscars Thread

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I see chatter on Facebook but wasn't watching. My gym is in the Dolby Theater complex so I couldn't go. That's the most the Oscars affected me.

Actually, on second thought, seeing how they set the show up is kind of cool. The stairs they walk up are in the middle of a mall and you can walk up them right up until the day of the oscars. They lay down red carpet over the floor of the mall a few days prior and then put protective plastic down over that. So technically I walked the red carpet a few days ago. I'm a fucking star.

If anyone cares to see, I can snap a video when I'm at the gym tomorrow. I'm a big fan of all the pomp and circumstance of show business though so it might just be me. It's probably just me. It's for sure just me.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Ha Ha! The Hollywood morons on stage mistakenly named La La Land best picture and then took the awards away to give them to Moonlight while the cast and producers of La La Land were giving acceptance speeches.

Hollywood is La La Land, indeed.

"This is not a joke. Moonlight is the best picture." Give me that Oscar back.

Kimmel: "This is very unfortunate. I blame Steve Harvey."

Can't make this stuff up...

Discovery and shock begins at 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgI74NoX-ck

La La Land cast:

ipqprhxoavtsocvj44rk

Moonlight cast:

gettyimages-614469734-h_2016.jpg

I'm not trying to be racist. It's just funny. What a f*ck up.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
The award for dumbass of Oscar night goes to...

Brian Cullinan, accountant with Price Waterhouse Cooper.

Warren Beatty entered from stage right, where Cullinan was located, to present Best Picture and could be seen holding an envelope that clearly said 'Actress'

How, Brian? How could you make such a big mistake?

Cullinan, 57, also posted photo to Twitter just before the incident of Emma Stone backstage after her Oscar win, which he later deleted from his account

Cullinan was taking the pic and tweeting during the time when he should have been overseeing the envelope hand off.

The award for male supporting actor in a dumbass role goes to...

Warren Beatty. The envelope he had clearly states "Actress" not "Best Picture". The card inside said "Emma Stone - La La Land" Read the damn card and envelope rather than stare dumbly at the audience and Faye. Is it too hard to look at the Price Waterhouse guy and ask for clarification?

The award for female supporting actor in a dumbass role goes to...

Faye Dunaway. She was just confused and thinking "The show must go on. The show must go on." She narrowly beat out Meryl Streep for this award after Streep barely avoided tripping and falling on the red carpet. A complete fall would have put Streep over the top for the Oscar. Better luck next year and thank you to all the wonderful Hollywood talent that climbed on stage during the last few minutes of the show making the ending as spectacular as it was.

Are these people responsible for Oscars La La Land gaffe? | Daily Mail Online

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Warren said he had the envelope for best leading lady for Emma Stone and thats what threw him. She later said she had that envelope in her hands the whole time since she got her award.

Something fishy...

FF to 2:50 for her version of what happened with the phantom envelope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anQf2MI8514&t=269s

Each side of the stage had their own duplicate briefcase and envelopes. Two Price Waterhouse Cooper accountants were present, one on each side. If the Best Actress presenter came in from the opposite side of the stage, there would be a similar envelope still on the other side. Brian Cullinan, the accountant on that side was supposedly responsible for seeing the right envelope got into the right hands.

Edit: Tree'd

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Still seems like a fuckton of people.

32.9 Million? With the giant production crew and huge budget? For comparison, PewDiePie, who is one guy sitting at a computer, has 52 million followers. He gets an average of 5 million + views for each of his low budget vids.

Oops. Just looked and he's up to almost 54 million followers. It's no wonder MSM is concerned about the web guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9SFQTrfUwc

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Some more context on the ratings from USA Today

The 89th Academy Awards sure ended with a bang, but the ratings were anything but.

Preliminary national ratings, adjusted for time zones across the country, revealed 32.9 million viewers tuned in Sunday night to the nearly four-hour ceremony on ABC, hosted for the first time by the network's late-night host Jimmy Kimmel. That's just a shade above the record-low turnout of 32 million logged in 2008, in the middle of a writers' strike that crippled Hollywood. Last year's telecast claimed 34.4, when Chris Rock hosted and Spotlight won best picture, but the show more typically draws closer to 40 million, according to Nielsen.

Sunday's awards proceeded mostly as expected, until the final award for best picture, when PricewaterhouseCoopers gave the wrong envelope to presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, who announced La La Land as best picture when Moonlight had won.

Here's how the worst flub in Oscar history went down

The Oscars high point came in 1998, when 55 million watched blockbuster Titanic win best picture; its low, a decade later, in 2008, when 32 million watched No Country for Old Men win in the midst of a bitter writers strike that saw many boycott the ceremony. The more recent high was 43.7 million in 2014, in a ceremony hosted by Ellen DeGeneres that honored 12 Years a Slave as best picture.

Review: Kimmel comes out comfortable and swinging in debut as Oscars host

By comparison, the Grammy Awards on CBS drew 26.1 million same-day viewers Feb. 12, while NBC's Golden Globes claimed 20 million Jan. 8.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
32.9 Million? With the giant production crew and huge budget? For comparison, PewDiePie, who is one guy sitting at a computer, has 52 million followers. He gets an average of 5 million + views for each of his low budget vids.

Oops. Just looked and he's up to almost 54 million followers. It's no wonder MSM is concerned about the web guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9SFQTrfUwc

Followers literally have nothing to do with viewership for a tv show :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info