AMD Ryzen = Intel i7 killer?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Bit of a click bate title. And no benchmarks yet. Those are what I'm really looking forward to seeing.

But it SOUNDS nice on paper.

i7 8 core performance for half the price of that same i7.

Could be a hype train. Or maybe AMD finally punched back with another Athlon CPU like the did in the P3 vs Athlon wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rUndzpdo1I&spfreload=10

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
hopefully AMD got their shit together on this one. it looks promising for sure, but i'll reserve my judgement for when actual people start reviewing these chips. AMD is trying to fuel their hype train, hopefully these chips live up to it

Unfortunately AMD just can't beat the juggernaut that is Intel. The only part of AMD that has truly been able to fight has been the ATI vs nVidia front. They trade back and forth.

But on the CPU front they fell far behind, they just couldn't match Intel due to the amount of money it takes to build a Fab, or refit it for a new architecture.

The last few generations of AMD processors have been furnaces in terms of how much heat and electricity they use. And even though they were cheaper than Intel, the performance wasn't equal or better at the same power consumption.

I really do hope Ryzen is what they promised. I like rooting for them underdog.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
AMD needs to do something, even if it's just enough to get Intel off their ass to produce something better. Intel really hasn't improved their product line much at all over the years and why should they? They have no competition.

Back when AMD first started selling CPU's, Intel and AMD would constantly leapfrog each other in performance since they always competing. We ended up with some great processors at decent prices back then.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Holy shit.

Not even out of the gate and it beat the world record for multi-threaded.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Achieves CPU World Record in Cinebench R15
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Breaks Multi-Threaded CPU Performance World Record Before Launch Day

The record run shows a group of overclockers putting an AMD Ryzen 7 1800X chip through the test in Cinebench R15. The chip was cooled with LN2 and voltage was bumped to an outrageous 1.875V. This allowed the overclockers to push this chip to 5.2 GHz across all 8 cores using LN2 cooling which kept the chip operating at a cool -200c. This is absolutely amazing for a chip that is yet to be released for consumers.

At these speeds, the chip was able to score 2449 Cinebench points in the multi-threaded tests, breaking the previous world record of 2410 Cinebench points.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I mean yeah, its extreme overclocking. But the world record is held by those same standards. So I'm still feeling positive for Ryzen right now.

Its a good sign, but doesnt really prove much. Im sure they were given a binned chip. But still promising.

Although remember you can basically OC a Kaby lake 7700k to 5ghz on air now. I know 4/8 is not 8/16, but again single thread performance and IPC really matter most for gaming atleast. Cinebench is just a benchmark.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I know 4/8 is not 8/16, but again single thread performance and IPC really matter most for gaming atleast. Cinebench is just a benchmark.

this. the ryzen 7 1700 is set to be price at $329 (i believe) on launch. if it doesn't outperform the 7700k in games, then what's the point? they're priced the same with the 7700k being on sale at times for even lower than that. swinging a big dick in benchmark programs really doesn't mean much to me, show an in game performance increase over the intel. give the gamers (who don't stream/video render) to buy red over intel. force intel to either innovate and improve their product or match amd pricing

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
this. the ryzen 7 1700 is set to be price at $329 (i believe) on launch. if it doesn't outperform the 7700k in games, then what's the point? they're priced the same with the 7700k being on sale at times for even lower than that. swinging a big dick in benchmark programs really doesn't mean much to me, show an in game performance increase over the intel. give the gamers (who don't stream/video render) to buy red over intel. force intel to either innovate and improve their product or match amd pricing

Honestly I thought I read that they were pretty much aiming for all the 6 and 8 core Intel CPUs. I dont think they are going for the pure gamers with the 7600k and 7700k. They are all wrapped up in "content creators". Man I HATE that millennial hipster bullshit term for youtuber.

But back on topic, they are looking at taking the market share from Intel for the bigger Broadwell-E CPUs. I mean why buy a 6900k for $1000, when you can get a 1800x for $500? Same or better performance, for half the price.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
But back on topic, they are looking at taking the market share from Intel for the bigger Broadwell-E CPUs. I mean why buy a 6900k for $1000, when you can get a 1800x for $500? Same or better performance, for half the price.

that'd be fantastic. drive intel to either lower their CPU cost or make a better product. definitely not trying to bash AMD, in fact AMD is the first CPU i used to build a PC. back in the athlon days amd had a better CPU for way less money. i had an athlon 3000 series (fuck if i can remember exactly) coupled with an ati 9800xt that shit all over the comparable intel/nvidia setup of that time.

i hope ryzen/vega gets us back to that type of competition :fy:

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005

Not looking good for gaming at least.

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-vs-Core-i7-7700K-DinoPC_GTA-V.png

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Eh, I couldn't careless about cinebench testing. And the real-world gaming testing is still fucking great. Average 80 FPS? zero fucks if it can get 200 FPS at 1080p.
Yeah it's still only 3 frames behind for average frame rate which is pretty good.

Anything past 60+ is fine for me

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info