Movie review: Snowden

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
God damn. I'm in IT, I'm educated fairly well on many things security related in the IT world.

This movie shocked me. It's always something you know could happen with enough resources, compute and brain power... but I'll be damned if seeing it documented in a movie of all things for people of the world to watch isn't like a slap in the face.

If you haven't watched this movie yourself, go now.

Wow.

Makes you wonder what really happens out there if this is the content that is allowed out into the light.

Now for my question. If you have watched this, what do you think of Snowden and the actions he took? Should he see prosecution or should he be hailed a hero?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
BTW, a shot of this monument briefly was shown during the movie. I'd be lying if after reading it the words literally shook me to my core in regards to Snowden.

830edb62f0bd3a83c09f4b2913df55cd.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
We thought this was a great movie as well.

A guy like this is what we need more of. Too many liberals and cowards in this country afraid to stand up for what's right.

Great acting on the part of JGL. I'm a big fan of his movies.

:rolleyes:

cuz so many conservatives are fighting THE GOOD FIGHT.

all politicians suck and don't have the general public's best interest in mind... take off your blinders.

any and all policitical affiliation aside, i have respect for what snowden did.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
The movie is great but if you haven't seen the vice documentary you should definitely check it out. It's basically the plot of the movie where the reporters were in the room with him when the story broke

Edit. It was actually an HBO documentary called citizenfour that documented the story breaking in the room. It's worth the watch especially if you like the snowden movie

Full documentary here
http://documentary-movie.com/citizenfour/

Some coverage after snowden fled
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucRWyGKBVzo

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
:rolleyes:

cuz so many conservatives are fighting THE GOOD FIGHT.

all politicians suck and don't have the general public's best interest in mind... take off your blinders.

any and all policitical affiliation aside, i have respect for what snowden did.

Hey KJ!

I'm not political. I don't vote, start threads about how Trump is the devil, etc. No blinders here bro.

Try not to keep taking my posts out of context.

My point was, he did the right thing, and a large majority of people don't have the gall to do what Snowden did, politically associated or not.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Hey KJ!

I'm not political. I don't vote, start threads about how Trump is the devil, etc. No blinders here bro.

Try not to keep taking my posts out of context.

My point was, he did the right thing, and a large majority of people don't have the gall to do what Snowden did, politically associated or not.

took nothing whatsoever out of context.

Too many liberals and cowards in this country afraid to stand up for what's right.

you said that.

i poked holes in it, because for whatever reason you needed to say "too many liberals"... because frankly there are too many conservatives guilty of exactly what you are complaining about as well.

im also not even sure i've quoted your posts prior and took you "out of context" :rofl:

ps. you should vote.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
took nothing whatsoever out of context.

you said that.

i poked holes in it, because for whatever reason you needed to say "too many liberals"... because frankly there are too many conservatives guilty of exactly what you are complaining about as well.

im also not even sure i've quoted your posts prior and took you "out of context" :rofl:

ps. you should vote.

Yeah, you caught me.

Meh, voting is too much of a hassle and I feel a waste.

But, take a look at my other post in the VW thread about politics. I like to avoid them since if I give my opinion, I'm the bad guy that doesn't understand anything.

Anyhow, we need more movies like Snowden!

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
God damn. I'm in IT, I'm educated fairly well on many things security related in the IT world.

This movie shocked me. It's always something you know could happen with enough resources, compute and brain power... but I'll be damned if seeing it documented in a movie of all things for people of the world to watch isn't like a slap in the face.

If you haven't watched this movie yourself, go now.

Wow.

Makes you wonder what really happens out there if this is the content that is allowed out into the light.

Now for my question. If you have watched this, what do you think of Snowden and the actions he took? Should he see prosecution or should he be hailed a hero?

I did watch it. Just recently as a matter of fact. I find this stuff quite interesting.

I know there are laws for whistle blowers. But is that what this is by definition. I don't know other than a brief wiki definition. I'd think he's good. The government is his employer. Spying on people without a warrant major no no.

I think it takes a great amount of balls and a person with less self regulars as he must have to let it all out.

I've always believed government is in our business all the time. He just proved it. So to me he's a guy who did what he believed the right thing for the American people. So of your choices. Hero

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
citizenfour is a lot better i think. and certainly worth watching either way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenfour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGwAvd5mvM

i used to have some technology in my sales portfolio that is basically powering a non-trival chunk of this. ibm has this stuff that just rides along the network, works through cpu and mem, pops out the network, no disk - make as many parallel nodes as you want to do whatever you want. listen to real time audio? scan for things in images? treat a video as just a series of fast images and do the same thing? process natural language or even tricky language a la watson on jeopardy? not only can these things be done, they can be done in real time. i suspect you've also already seen some articles on what people can do with metadata about you alone, let alone having actual real access to the content of your data.

i'm not sure if it's fully clear what real actions he took before leaving and what concerns he tried to raise. i don't know about a full pardon but i think something fair and not that punitive could be reached and agreeable.

i don't think the effort is actually making us safer either, and lays in place a fantastic infrastructure available for abuse.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
If you have watched this, what do you think of Snowden and the actions he took? Should he see prosecution or should he be hailed a hero?

Watched it.....HERO. I've been working in the belly of the beast (telecommunications) for nearly 20 yrs now so it really hit home.

If America is the bastion of freedom WTF do we allow ourselves to be tracked,recorded and ALL our data stored?

This movie was GREAT....like you said everyone should watch it but it's just the tip of the ice berg.

If you really wan't to see how bad the deep state surveillance network is you tube these fellows...

William Binney - former #2 at NSA; perhaps worlds best code cracker
Robert David Steele - former CIA field ops officer

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info