Headphones for Flying?

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
If you fly a lot, and rock some decent headphones, let me know what you have and what you like or dislike about them. If what you have sucks and you're eyeing something good, shout it out too.

IDGAF what they look like, so I was thinking over-ear and noise cancelling would be good. I do like to travel light though so any in-ear or mid-ear that rock might work, too.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i have some klipsch in ear ones, i find them good enough and they are what i use at coffee shops and whatnot if i go work from one and use them. i don't totally feel the need for the big ones and they muss up your hurr too. i keep these in the tin they came with which is like half the size of a mouse? i don't think i'd enjoy the extra bulk of flying with those bigger headphones, although they are certainly nicer.

i'm usually listening to music, i suppose i might have a different opinion if trying to watch a movie and dialogue was tough to make out... maybe... but probably not

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
In ear Shure memory foam ear plugs. super comfy, super tight seal and blocks most engine noise on planes in a small package. These blow the Bose ones out of the water in the environment noise department.

Pick any model that uses these:
Black Foam Sleeves | Shure Americas

What bose ones do these blow out of the water?

I wore these for 1200 to 1600 hours last year while sitting next to a diesel motor at 2500 rpm. I also like that for $20 i can send them to bose and get a new pair in under a week.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products...20i-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones.html

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I rock the Bose QC35. Never thought I'd buy Bose (Blows) but I've been impressed with that they're doing in certain cars and in the portable speaker world. Wireless is liberating, that's for sure, and they work as a wireless phone headset too. The headphones are light and comfortable and the noise cancellation drowns out considerably more background noise than my previous Audio-Technica over-the-ear headphones. The sound quality is OK, not spectacular. I'm not sure if there's any credence to headphone burn-in, but I've only put a few hours on these so far.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I rock the Bose QC35. Never thought I'd buy Bose (Blows) but I've been impressed with that they're doing in certain cars and in the portable speaker world. Wireless is liberating, that's for sure, and they work as a wireless phone headset too. The headphones are light and comfortable and the noise cancellation drowns out considerably more background noise than my previous Audio-Technica over-the-ear headphones. The sound quality is OK, not spectacular. I'm not sure if there's any credence to headphone burn-in, but I've only put a few hours on these so far.

my soundlink mini ii is pretty tits i travel with it

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Turns out the noise-cancelling on the Bose and Sony headphones I tried gave me a headache over time, so I went with some Jaybird Freedoms. They're super low-profile which helps as I already carry a ton of stuff on the plane with me already, and rely on foam inserts like the Shure ones for passive noise cancelling.

They're mostly made of metal and sound great so here's hoping they hold up.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I have a pair of Bose QC25s, the predecessor to the newer QC35s. They are over the ear, but the noise cancelling is awesome. I work in a lot of datacenters, they are extremely noisy. You can barely hear a person next to you talking. I can have a phone conversation with these on and forget I'm surrounded by 70dB+ of noise. Flying with them cancels out the crying baby or that person that talks during an entire 8 hour flight. Well worth the $$.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info