2.4GHz vs 5GHz

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
I'm not very "techy" by any means, and i just read an article online stating that switching your wifi over to 5GHz would increase speed, but reduce distance. I am using a motorola SBG6580 and i just changed it to 5GHz, but then i lost all wifi and could not connect. i had to plug it in via cable and switch it back to 2.4GHz and my wifi came back....?

any help?

what got me looking is i am in need of an extender, i live in a really long style ranch house and i don't have any internet on the far side of the house and garage. so also open to suggestions on extenders. saw the netgear n300 is cheap via amazon and has a ton of positive reviews, but will a more expensive one give me a stronger signal?

Jdiding

I has the dumb
Dec 5, 2016
sheridan ill
I use a dual band Linksys es6500 and have tons of range on 2.4 and 5 GHZ. some of my stuff connects to the 2.4 side others to the 5 side. I had this router in my ranch home and had great signal at the farthest point of my house no problem
the most reliable and easy way I found was to run a hardline from the main router to about midway thru the house and install the big wifi router in the middle of the house.
when I had Comcast their router would only work for about 1/2 the house once I swapped over to a good dual band piggybacked to it I had signal at all points and the majority of my 5 acres of yard

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
2.4 supports slower speeds, but has a longer reach. 5ghz has a shorter reach, but supports much faster speeds. Use 5ghz if you can keep connection around your house. If not, 2.4 is fine but will cap your speeds.

i understand that, that's what i had read. but when i switched my router to 5ghz, my laptop and phone said i had no service, and i was sitting 5ft away from it

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I have issues modem router combos. I suggest a separate router whenever possible
This. Get a good modem and a solid router and your issues will likely be solved. I run a Netgear Nighthawk X4S and my entire house gets reliable WiFi with the router being in the basement. I have a 2.4GHz and a 5 running simultaneously. I run things near the kitchen on 5GHz since 2.4 gets to be a busy signal with things like Microwaves.

To answer the original question, you likely need to set up the 5GHz band in your router, more than just "turning it on". Needs to be a new SSID with new security.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
This. Get a good modem and a solid router and your issues will likely be solved. I run a Netgear Nighthawk X4S and my entire house gets reliable WiFi with the router being in the basement. I have a 2.4GHz and a 5 running simultaneously. I run things near the kitchen on 5GHz since 2.4 gets to be a busy signal with things like Microwaves.

To answer the original question, you likely need to set up the 5GHz band in your router, more than just "turning it on". Needs to be a new SSID with new security.

unfortunatly, i just purchased the router/modem, so i won't be replacing it anytime soon.

as for the 2.4ghz vs 5, yup, that shit is far beyond my knowledge. haha. :io: i log into my router settings and it just has an option for 2.4 or 5, i clicked 5, it popped up to confirm, i clicked yes, and lost wifi. so then i changed it back. haha.

i ordered one of these off of ebay for $40 shipped, i think ill just have to settle with this since that other shit confuses my simple mind. :rollpicard:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQ883QW/?tag=tcg21-20

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I had a dual band ASUS rt66u router that worked ok but if you have many devices connected which I do it seemed to have trouble handling all the connections. I've since upgraded to a Tri band router with mu-mimo and that has made all the difference in handling all connections with a single ssid with two 5ghz bands and 1 2.4ghz band that is managed automatically. It's an asus ac-5300.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info