Verizon, ATT, Sprint, T Mobile? Best Price/Value?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Guys, how do you like your phone service provider?

I have 7 phones on Verizon. Love the service, hate the price. Watching the Sprint commercials, they are saying they are within 1% of Verizon service levels and they will give me $1,400 in gift cards if I switch.

I'm wondering about real world service with these carriers. Do you guys use them? Dropped calls? Cost for the plans? Unlimited? Customer service? If I switch to Sprint or T Mobile will people be able to hear me now?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Sprint has gotten way better, despite what people on here will say. But like anything else, location location location.

Using Project FI, I jump between TMO and Sprint at will (US Cellular once in awhile). I have great success with regard to actual service...speeds vary but you wont notice unless youre trying to download huge files or something ridiculous.

Once youre in the sticks, thats where you'll see both those networks suffer (and mostly just with data). If you dont travel outside of cities, you'll be fine on either.

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
Agree with Mooks assessment of sprint. We've had them for 20 years.
Great in urban areas; spottier in less populated areas relative to verizon

FWIW I have my business cell through Verizon so I can always get a good on the fly comparison. Verizon seems to have good coverage most everywhere.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
[MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] [MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION] @Whoevertheelsegoesupnorth

Who are are you guys using and who works up north?? I Keep Verizon just for up north activities but would love to get over to Sprint if it works up there now.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
sprint customer here. happy with the value.. unlimited everything after taxes and fees on a single line $63.47.

find someone who has sprint and uses it in locations you are frequently at and inquire about the service.

90% of the places you spend time at regularly are going to have trustworthy wifi network anyways. (home, work, friends and families homes)

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I've had T-Mobile for 5 or 6 years and its been very reliable overall. In the Chicagoland I always have solid LTE. Along major highways, I've always had solid LTE. In rural areas, I sometimes have no connection.

As long as you don't need reception in rural areas, T-Mo is a great value.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
sprint customer here. happy with the value.. unlimited everything after taxes and fees on a single line $63.47.

find someone who has sprint and uses it in locations you are frequently at and inquire about the service.

90% of the places you spend time at regularly are going to have trustworthy wifi network anyways. (home, work, friends and families homes)

Fuck, glad you and Mook brought this up. Just looked at Sprint's plan compared to AT&T and I'm paying ~55 for 3GB of data with Military discount. Sprint's plan looks enticing as fuck especially with that $200 card since I'm also not tied down to AT&T.

EDIT: Just looked, $52 and change.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
TMO sucks wang once you're out of any major city. My phone jumps to Sprint almost immediately.

I do wish FI would mimic TMO and allow unlimited streaming with no data usage...would be boss for spotify.

Agreed...but the majority of people, when they go outside of a major city, they have WiFi. And thats the nice thing about the TMO $30 plan with Google Voice...WiFi or cellular data connection doesn't matter. The phone functions the same over either.

Now, I know thats not for everyone. But it probably would work for the large majority of people.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
You dont have wifi when youre driving in the middle of nowhere or basically ANYWHERE in IL that isnt a Chicago suburb.

TMO is good and stable for me most of the time, I really have no complaints. Its great having 3 networks at my disposal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info