Directv Now = Cable Killer

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
Im sure most of you have heard of "Directv Now" streaming service that just came out but in case you haven't.

I have been a diehard cable cutter. I have WOW internet($25 a month), Netflix 4K($12 a Month), Antenna, Kodi, and Amazon Prime which is hard to count because we mainly use it for shipping and video game benefits.

Just recently At&T and Directv released their new TV streaming service. Their promotional pricing is $35 for 100+ channels and the price stays with you as long as you stay with them. Also if you prepay 3 months up front you get a 4th gen apple tv which costs $150 normally, so essentially no risk.

The big thing keeping me from services like Sling and Vue were no local sports. "Directv Now" has CSN so i will be able to get blackhawks games now.

Here are the downfalls that i know of right now:
- Only 2 TVs can stream at once
- No DVR
- No CBS but they are in negotiations with them
- Limited pausing capabilities for live TV
- No Showtime option
- Something is up with ABC with it being Live
- Currently only works on Apple TV, Fire TV, and Chromecast

Other cool things:
-If you have AT&T cell service, you can stream without it counting against your data.
-HBO only costs an extra $5 a month

I was convinced and got 3 Months. Ill give it a try tonight.

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
Price stay the same even after they polish the package up and include more options?

They say that if you get in on this promotional price that your price will stay the same until you cancel or change packages.

Now I don't know if they will charge extra for new shit that will come out. I think it would be hard to for them because this package is their second highest.

Edit: You can cancel anytime, there is no contracts.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Still not sure if I see the value. What does the $35 a month get you that you don't already have? If its sports, there are much cheaper options for sports.

I'm with you, WOW internet (mine is $50/mo), NetFlix ($10/mo), and SmoothStreams ($11/mo) coupled with an HD antenna in the attic and Kodi.

That $71 a month gets me internet, all live sports including PPV events (local and global), live streaming Fox News, CNN, AMC, HBO, WWE Network, History, Discovery, Investigation Discovery, etc.

Not sure what I'd gain from the $35 a month?

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
Still not sure if I see the value. What does the $35 a month get you that you don't already have? If its sports, there are much cheaper options for sports.

I'm with you, WOW internet (mine is $50/mo), NetFlix ($10/mo), and SmoothStreams ($11/mo) coupled with an HD antenna in the attic and Kodi.

That $71 a month gets me internet, all live sports including PPV events (local and global), live streaming Fox News, CNN, AMC, HBO, WWE Network, History, Discovery, Investigation Discovery, etc.

Not sure what I'd gain from the $35 a month?

When compared to SmoothStreams, which I assume is a Kodi type product, there is not a ton of value, but Kodi also isnt legal or 100% reliable.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
When compared to SmoothStreams, which I assume is a Kodi type product, there is not a ton of value, but Kodi also isnt legal or 100% reliable.

I get the legal part, but SmoothStreams has been just as reliable as cable TV for me, and even has a nice guide like cable.

3356b02d005ebc505c7a9255f1232d57.jpg

pajamasam

Addict
Apr 12, 2011
O'Hare Area
Following as well... I keep talking about cutting the cord but always wuss out in the end. Tired of the damn money going to Comcast all the time...

Is there an OTA DVR out there anywhere? Thats my biggest issue right now, I DVR everything and watch it later.

I was reading some more. Directv Now is working on a DVR. Didnt see a timeline or if it will be included for free.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Following as well... I keep talking about cutting the cord but always wuss out in the end. Tired of the damn money going to Comcast all the time...

Is there an OTA DVR out there anywhere? Thats my biggest issue right now, I DVR everything and watch it later.

There is the Tivo Roamio, or you can use a computer or Xbox One. I use an HD antenna routed through my computer (using a Hauppage TV tuner card) and I can DVR any OTA TV.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I've personally never had a problem with Comcast other than the pricing going up every year or two and having to call in and act like I'm quitting to get it to a respectable price again.

How about you just leave the fucking rate alone and I'll keep paying it.

Where the hell is Google Fiber? Theyre taking their sweet ass time. :bowrofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info