TV Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Oh look, its Rihanna for some reason. Will see because Luc Besson.

Loved 5th Element, and the designs in here have a ton of influence from that. The variety and strangness of the aliens is definitely 5th element/star wars worthy.

But Lucy was a bad movie. So I'm on the fence. I will see how later trailers are. The first one is very action oriented and I'm not sure how it will go.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
This review kind of confirms what i thought could be a possibility.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets-is-undeniab-1796790128

It’s rare that a modern scifi movie shows you something you’ve truly never seen before, but that happens a lot in Luc Besson’s Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. There’s innovative action, wondrous landscapes, creepy aliens, awesome weapons and technology, all of which combine to create a massive, magnificent universe. Unfortunately, all the focus on the setting causes Valerian’s story to suffer.

Besson is so transfixed by the world he’s created that he’s often much more interested in showing it to you than telling an interesting story. So while many moments of Valerian are masterful—there’s a chase scene in a market that will blow your mind—once the film finishes its brisk first act, Besson pumps the brakes considerably and the lack of a strong plotline begins to show. What started as a intergalactic joyride quickly becomes a bunch of people standing around and talking, peppered in with visually impressive, but ultimately empty, tangents.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, I went to go see this.

And I walked out of the theater without even finishing it.

In fact, the movie was so boring I figured since I was only an hour in I'd ask for my money back. I didn't get my money back, but I did get a discount on a new ticket to something else.

To which I put towards Atomic Blonde. Which I will talk about in the Atomic blonde thread.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Guess I won't watch it then. Thanks for the review.

I mean, visually its a stunning movie. The visual effects, worlds, and characters are top-notch.

Its just that this movie literally uses the plot simply to move from one set piece to another. And ultimately there is no chemistry between the leads which really hurts. There is very little humor. The plot is bland and doesn't mesh with the visuals on screen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info