F1 2016 XBOX gameplay

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
:rofl: Was gonna make a thread about this game when I got home from work today and tag you [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] cuz I figured you'd be the only one interested in it. This game kinda came out under the radar, but I've been following it closely for the last few weeks and have been really liking what I've been seeing. I haven't played an F1 game since F1 2013 and I'm not alone in my thinking that 2013 was the last good F1 game, but this one looked to bring the glory back, and so far all the reviews I've read are pretty much confirming that.

Hedging my bets that this game would be worth it, I sorta did a thing a few nights ago... Amazon had the Logitech g920 wheel on sale for like $239. So I ordered it. I know the thrustmaster is probably the "better" wheel, but Logitech still has a pretty good reputation, and for HALF the price the thrustmaster, I'm willing to give it a shot and see how it goes. I just hope I can devise a way to hard mount it to my fanatec wheel stand, cuz I really don't wanna buy another stand as well. It's supposed to show up monday, so we will see. In the meantime it looks like Im ordering this game this weekend.

Here's a good video of all the new things added to the game this year. Career mode is such a VAST improvement over anything its ever been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0mFTCJEQM

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Well this was unexpected. My wheel that wasnt supposed to get here until monday....just got here. :rofl: And steam just finished installing the game... Anyone believe in coincidences?

Guess I know what I'm doing after dinner. Assuming I can get it mounted to my fanatec wheel stand...that would be quite disappointing if it wont go.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
*WARNING* MikeK post incoming::

Man it took longer than I expected to get the new wheel mounted on my fanatec stand. The wheel itself was alright. Thankfully the stand already had holes pre-drilled that matched up w/ logitechs mounting holes. But in order to keep my fanatec pedals from sliding forward, I 3M double sided foam taped a bracket across the stand so the pedals had something to butt up against. Well the logitech pedal stand is quite a bit longer than my fanatec pedals, so I had to get the heat gun out and heat up the tape so it would be pliable enough for me to rip the bracket off and re-tape it for the logitech pedals :rofl: I was sweating before I even started the game.

As for the game itself, I think it was probably wise to go w/ PC. With my system I've got everything on high, and it benchmarked an average of 78fps at 1080p in dry conditions, and right around 60fps at 1080 in heavy rain. So I'm happy with that. And it does look great. The only thing I did tonight was try and get myself acclimatized with the game, being this is the first F1 game I've played since F1 2012, not 2013 like I previously thought. Plus this is the first time I've used a wheel in a while. The results were....very rusty. I thought id be able to start a quick race and just jump right into Legend difficulty... :xzbit: That wasn't happening. I bumped it down to expert and tried again.... :nope: Sadly that was just as embarassing.

Did a 17 lap race at Spain, which is a track I'm very familar with, and I don't even wanna tell you how many cars had lapped me by the end of the race. This AI is no joke. So I'll have to mess with it some more and see just how far I've fallen. Now I was doing the race in a Mclaren, cuz that's eventually where I wanna start my career, but even still, the AI was just too insane. I hope I don't have to bump it down too much further, cuz I don't think my pride could handle it :rofl: I'll mess with it more tomorrow/next week. I really don't wanna start my career until next weekend, because this time I wanna try to mimic the fri/sat/sun practice/quali/race format, because for 2012 I was doing full race weekends in one day......and thats a lot. haha.

As for the other aspects of the game, so far with what I've played Im quite liking it. If you're an F1 nerd, there's a lot to like this year. The manual starts are really going to take time to master...my first one was....not so good :rofl: I wish there was a practice mode where you could perfect them. The manual pit lane entry is also quite tricky to time, that will take a lotta practice as well. The info screen while youre racing is also very nice where you can tweak aspects of your car like brake bias/fuel modes/etc and also view other things like race strategies and tire wear/damage etc. The radio communications are also actually helpful for once and tell you important things that are going on.

The sound settings did need some tweaking, the radio was a bit quiet, and the other cars are LOUD. Sometimes I couldnt even hear my own car when other cars weren't even near me. So that had to be turned down. I wish tire sounds were a little more amplified so you can actually hear whats going with them.

Overall, once I swallow my pride and find a difficulty that doesnt absolutely destroy me, I think this will be a very fun game :rofl: There is a lot to digest in this game if you're a true F1 fan, but it can also be tweaked to suit casual newcomers as well. I know I haven't played an F1 game since 2012, but this game definitely seems to be the one to get compared to the last few years lackluster offerings.

Now for the logitech g920 wheel itself. Initial thoughts are, I'm very pleased with it. Initially I wasn't all that impressed w/ the force feedback, it felt very light, but once I went into the logitech program I found there was a setting for the "spring back" when you let go of the wheel, which was unchecked, so I checked that one, and left it at a low 10%, and the force feedback felt a lot better after that. Plus it was initially set at 900 degrees, which is just way too much for an F1 game. When I was running practice laps at Spain I was having a very difficult time w/ the tight 90 degree and hairpin turns. So i set that down to 540 degrees and it was MUCH better after that.

The pedals aren't actually that bad either. I thought I'd be spoiled by my all metal fanatec clubsport pedals, but these do alright. I'd like a little more resistance in the gas pedal, but the brake pedal is very firm. And I was able to drive w/ all assists, including ABS off, w/out many issues. It was pretty easy to judge how much pressure would cause my front brakes to lock up, and the throttle is pretty tricky thru 3rd gear so you have be gentle, but when it does go you get a pretty good feel thru the wheel that your back tires are giving you the big FU.

I sorta cant wait to try this wheel out w/ Forza and Dirt and see how it does. It's quite well ventilated as well. Didn't really get that hot during my playtime. My PC on the other hand.... :rofl:

So, yeah. Wasn't planning on all this happening tonight, but I'm glad it did.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Jesus. Either codemasters gave the AI in this game the Dirt treatment, or I am just really horrible at F1 games now. They have come a long way since 2012, when I took Lotus F1 (the green ones) to the drivers championship :rofl: Until I really get comfortable w/ the game again it looks like I'm really gonna have to turn the AI down lower than I want to admit.

Amazon also delivered my xbox copy of the game earlier today. Whoops :rofl: Looks like thats goin back. Unless anyone here picks it up and wants to do an online co op championship. Dont really know how it works, but it sounds kinda fun.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Bleh. Did a quick race at Spa tonight. Put the AI on medium. It was better. But almost too much better. Qualified like 7th w/ Button. But that was with SS tires, low fuel, and running rich. haha. Was doing pretty good in the race as well......until it started to rain. My engineer told me to stay out. Then it started raining harder. Then all of a sudden, the track was gone. Everyone came in to pit for inters and I was stuck out there. So with like 3 laps left I pitted for inters from like 8th or 9th. Came back out in 17th. Did what I could for the next couple laps, then cranked it back up to rich on the last lap and went for it. Clawed my way up to 11th, but then was randomly handed a 3 second time penalty for cutting a corner I don't even remember cutting. So I officially wound up 17th. #kvyat. I don't know what to do now. I may bump it back up to hard when I start my career and just deal with whatever happens. That was almost too easy. Or maybe i'll just start my career in a sauber or manor. That way i at least have an excuse why im always at the back. :rofl:

I do like the quick race options this year tho. You can do a 30 minute practice, one shot quali, which gives you about 17 minutes to get the best time you can, and then I've been doing a 25% race distance, which is usually like 12-15 laps depending on the track. When you just wanna get a race weekend in its not completely overwhelming. When I start my career tho i'll be doing full practice, full quali, and probably 50% race distance.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
:rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ5nKWouxZU

Did a race at singapore tonight. That was probably a mistake, since I'm not intimately familiar w/ that track. And I turned the AI back up to hard. 30 practice minutes weren't enough so I did another 30. Improved my time by like 3 seconds, still finished the session in 17th. Then thanks to the randomized weather, quali was absolutely pouring w/ rain, and due to a mistake on my part, i set it up for one shot quali, which just gives you one lap to give it your best. Yeah i was dead last :rofl: Rained the whole race as well, but not as hard as quali. The team wanted me to get 15th, but once again best I could do was 17th. I think I can work w/ this tho. Once I start my career, and can actually start developing the car and get more into the groove it should be a good challenge. Assuming I don't get fired from the team for not meeting my goals :rofl:

One disappointing thing i have noticed tho is that w/ all the different strategies teams can take, which is one of the big parts of F1, so far, in the game every team uses the same strategy/same tires every race. Im kinda hoping this is due to the race distance I'm running right now, because when you only run 15 laps, whats the point of taking a chance on a 2 stop pit strategy when 1 stop will more than get you thru the race. Hopefully when I bump it up to 50% it will allow for some differences between the teams strategies.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Welp. Just got my first career weekend in Australia out of the way this weekend. It was not good. All 3 practices were dry, but it looked like part of quali would get rain, and all of the race would be raining. The only practice program i could successfully complete was the track acclimatization one. The tire test and quali pace tests were fails because I couldn't hit the damn target lap times they'd set for me. That means I got very little points to toss into my car development.

Q1 started dry, and I figured it would be over quick because i wasn't expecting to make it to Q2. But i did. Only just. It started raining just as Q1 ended, so Q2 had to be done in the wet. Before I left the garage in Q1 and was locked in to my car settings I put full downforce on the car since it looked like it was going to be a wet race. Thought it might help me out in Q2 also if it rained. It did not. Qualified 16th, which is dead last for Q2 :rofl: My teammate Button qualified like 11th or 12th I think. Asshole.

Start the race day. Its pouring. And it never let up the whole race. Now even tho I qualified 16th I started the race in 19th....which confused me because I don't remember getting any grid spot penalties or anything for anything Id done over the weekend....Button was even right in front of me in 18th so I really dont know what happened there. Hope its not some kind fo glitch or something. Anyways, 29 laps of full rain and 2 virtual safety cars later, I finish in 17th. Team wanted 15th. Button finished 11th. Asshole.

I met NONE of my teams goals over the whole weekend. Theres a scale that tells you if you're below, meeting, or exceeding expectations. After 1 weekend Im not even on the scale anymore. :rofl: And I'm getting spanked in my rivalry with Button.

So thats weekend 1 in the books. I wanted it hard enough that I wouldn't just dominate right from the start, but christ. Why do I do this to myself. haha. Looking forward to not touching this game until next weekend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info