Gaming Nintendo brings back Classic NES

LiquidPen

Forum Sponsor
Jun 23, 2011
Bartlett, IL
So awesome can't wait!

nesclassic-640x572.jpg

fter years spent letting the software-based Virtual Console largely rot on its vine, Nintendo is trying to cash in on its nostalgia-filled back catalog with a new piece of old hardware. The NES Classic Edition, announced today, is a palm-sized, HDMI-equipped re-release of the '80s console that will launch on November 11, preloaded with 30 games for $59.99.

“We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo’s original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place,” Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime said in a statement. “The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers.”

The NES Classic Controller will also work via a Wii Remote with the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles.

Nintendo hasn't said much about the underlying hardware powering the re-release, but it doesn't sound like the new system will be exactly the same as the original. For one thing, the announcement makes no mention of the ability to plug in old NES game cartridges, even though pictures show a familiar, cartridge slot dust-cover styled on the system's boxy case. For another, Nintendo says that "each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off at a later time, no passwords needed," suggesting that some sort of virtualized, emulated version of the underlying games is being used.

The new system also will not support old NES controllers natively. Instead, it has slots that will fit the existing Wii Classic Controller Pro and will also work with a new NES Classic Controller patterned after the original rectangular design (sorry dog-bone fans). One Classic Controller will be included with the system; extra ones will retail for $9.99.

Nintendo is coming late to a trend that has hit many other classic consoles in recent years. Sega licensed its old hardware and software for a number of "Arcade Classic" system-on-a-chip Genesis re-releases, most of which have a slot for classic cartridges and support original controllers as well as built-in games. The Atari Flashback line similarly recreates the Atari 2600 and 7800, with some hackers going so far as to add a cartridge port for their decades-old games. Even the Colecovision and Intellivision got Flashback re-releases.

If you have $500+ to spend on a 30-year-old console, this is the one to buy.
Nostalgia-minded Nintendo gamers looking for new hardware, on the other hand, have been stuck settling for gray market Famiclone systems, or emulation-based hardware like the Retron 5, which have their issues when it come to compatibility and authenticity. Then there's the Analogue Nt, a high-end, high-def, high-priced NES modification sourced from actual Famicom chips, which we recently reviewed.

Here are the 30 games that will be included on the NES Classic Edition:

Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts N' Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby’s Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Surprise: Nintendo

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Welp. Nevermind then.

Announced this morning to much fanfare, the classic-playing mini-NES is an exciting prospect for both old and new Nintendo fans. It’s a $60 device that plays 30 classic NES games ranging from Final Fantasy to Super Mario Bros. If you don’t like that list, you’re out of luck: Nintendo says this mini NES won’t be getting other games even after launch.

Will the mini-NES be able to connect to the internet?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The game lineup was chosen to provide a diverse mix of popular and recognizable NES games that appeal to a wide variety of players. Everyone should be able to find multiple games to enjoy.

On the same note: does Nintendo plan to sell other NES games for the mini-NES beyond the 30 it comes preloaded with?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The 30 games included with the system were chosen to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences.

The Mini-NES Won't Get Games Beyond The Ones That Were Announced

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Waste of money with all the roms and emulators out there.

If the graphics are optimized for HDTV, and official Nintendo controllers, I disagree. Even a PC hooked to your TV with wireless controllers will not play as good. I get very slight lag with my RPI2 running emulationstation, and I am not sitting at my computer to play NES games. :rofl:

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
If the graphics are optimized for HDTV, and official Nintendo controllers, I disagree. Even a PC hooked to your TV with wireless controllers will not play as good. I get very slight lag with my RPI2 running emulationstation, and I am not sitting at my computer to play NES games. :rofl:
I have the emulator sideloaded to to my Fire Stick, so I can play from the couch.

I don't really notice any lag.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info