Back to comcast...;(

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I just couldnt handle AT&T anymore with the piss poor internet service, and the clunky slow ass cable interface. They also had the worst on-demand services interface on the planet. It was like trying to browse the internet from a motorola razr phone. So I bit the bullet and called those idiots and ordered the X1 cable and 105 internet again. Luckily I was able to lock in a 2 year contract price of $140 a month total. Which is only $10 more than the AT&T was. But I originally switched from them because I was very unhappy with their customer service and the bill was creeping up past $220 for their triple play service. But they do have the best internet and cable, so Im stuck.

And in true comcast fashion, I have already had to call twice to get the new bill setup correctly. The sales people said one thing, the customer service people said another and the online chat people had a third story as to why the bill was wrong. Oh well. Rant over.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Google fiber needs to get here asap

Yeah man I wish. There really isnt anything else worth a damn out here. The Comcast sales rep said they were working on deploying a 550mbps consumer service in chicago at some point soon. Im sure that involves another 20 years of upgrades before we will see that. Im just looking forward to better than 1.5mbps upload speeds...

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
And in true comcast fashion, I have already had to call twice to get the new bill setup correctly. The sales people said one thing, the customer service people said another and the online chat people had a third story as to why the bill was wrong. Oh well. Rant over.

When I got my service set up at the house the dipshit who created my account didn't put any of my information in or run the credit check. Come to find out, my first bill was $150 (for $49.99 50Mb internet) because they charged me a bunch of stupid fucking fees and a $50 "deposit" because they "couldn't verify who I am". Or some other butt fuckery. I still haven't paid it and after the first year I get it credited back. And by credited back, meaning "we'll credit your account when we feel necessary."

Comcast is such a fucking joke and even though I can't wait for Google Fiber, I know that Island Lake will probably be one of the last fucking places to get it around here.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Fiber has been installed at my place for the past 4-5 years but there was some regulatory or some other issue they couldn't offer more than their standard bandwidth packages, no idea but 1Gps intrigues me, no plans to get rid of Comcast unless att can give static IP's, no bandwidth caps, no tcp/udp port restrictions, and they can pass public IP directly to my fw, none of this "dmz" junk.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
When I got my service set up at the house the dipshit who created my account didn't put any of my information in or run the credit check. Come to find out, my first bill was $150 (for $49.99 50Mb internet) because they charged me a bunch of stupid fucking fees and a $50 "deposit" because they "couldn't verify who I am". Or some other butt fuckery. I still haven't paid it and after the first year I get it credited back. And by credited back, meaning "we'll credit your account when we feel necessary."

I had them try the same shit with me a few years ago. I wanted to upgrade my Internet speed, get their home security system and phone service. After it was all tallied up, they said they needed to tack on an extra $50 "security deposit" that would be refunded in a year. I said no. The refused to put the order through without it, so I told them to go fuck themselves. I was a Comcast customer for 25+ years prior and they're trying to pull this scam on me? WTF? They can eat shit.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I had them try the same shit with me a few years ago. I wanted to upgrade my Internet speed, get their home security system and phone service. After it was all tallied up, they said they needed to tack on an extra $50 "security deposit" that would be refunded in a year. I said no. The refused to put the order through without it, so I told them to go fuck themselves. I was a Comcast customer for 25+ years prior and they're trying to pull this scam on me? WTF? They can eat shit.

We were customers too for like 8 years prior to me canceling last time to head to at&t. I had called to try and work out a new plan because all of our pricing had went way up(promotion ending), and the cunt on the other end of the phone wouldnt do anything for me. She basically said if I didnt like it, I could cancel. And thats what I did. Looks like shes getting the last laugh on this one...little shit.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Uverse TV is awesome, never had any issue with lag. Just recieved a firmware update that cleaned up the look and feel on my boxes. I will agree their on-demand is awful but I ain't even mad. TV quality is much better than Comcast imo. I've been patiently awaiting AT&T gigapower or whatever the 1Gbps service will be. Comcast can burn in hell when everyone switches over to that. Either way, that or google, I welcome them to run fiber to my prem anyday, anytime. Uverse is already a hybrid fiber system, with the last mile copper. I'd figure it would be easier to just convert my 1960s POTS line over to fiber :rofl: but I'm sure there are plenty of 'obstacles' in the way.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Uverse TV is awesome, never had any issue with lag. Just recieved a firmware update that cleaned up the look and feel on my boxes. I will agree their on-demand is awful but I ain't even mad. TV quality is much better than Comcast imo. I've been patiently awaiting AT&T gigapower or whatever the 1Gbps service will be. Comcast can burn in hell when everyone switches over to that. Either way, that or google, I welcome them to run fiber to my prem anyday, anytime. Uverse is already a hybrid fiber system, with the last mile copper. I'd figure it would be easier to just convert my 1960s POTS line over to fiber :rofl: but I'm sure there are plenty of 'obstacles' in the way.

The obstacles are cheap ass companies that dont want to upgrade unless competition is stealing their customers.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
The obstacles are cheap ass companies that dont want to upgrade unless competition is stealing their customers.

The AT&T tech said we were 3000 feet from the switch, and in order to get any faster we would need to dig up our house and move it 1000 feet closer to their box... Yeah you can get AT&T fiber and whatnot, but not at 3000ft from their switch box. So we are fucked on that.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
The AT&T tech said we were 3000 feet from the switch, and in order to get any faster we would need to dig up our house and move it 1000 feet closer to their box... Yeah you can get AT&T fiber and whatnot, but not at 3000ft from their switch box. So we are fucked on that.

Should just be FTTP in a perfect world. The 3,000ft limit is for the last mile carried over copper. I'm ~2,300 feet from the VRAD and just approaching the physical limitations, my neighbor two doors from me cant get Uverse lol. If the last mile was fiber the distance from the switch could be much greater.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin

The obstacles are placing millions of miles of cables both in the air and below ground while dealing with trees, clearance from electrical interference, trees, sewers, roads, sidewalks, more fucking trees, fences, houses, garages, etc etc etc etc. They custom make the cables for length from pole to pole and connecting point to connecting point. Add to that the simple fact that all of the placing work has to be done by humans who do in fact get tired and need to eat and sleep. Plus we have to do the regular copper work of road widening projects and the business as usual shit, we have a large amount of new linemen that have to be trained to not only place gigapower fiber but the normal stuff as well and not get killed or injured in the process (which is amazingly easy to do).

Once gigapower is up and fully running I can almost guarantee that it will be federally regulated and we'll have to give away our product in the spirit of "fair commerce", just like we're forced to do now. And Comcast will pitch a fit when they lose customers in the hundreds of thousands and somehow they'll find a way to fuck it up for everyone.

* This was not a shot at you Tinfoil, I understand your point of huge companies not seeing a reason to upgrade until their hand is forced. Why spend the money if you don't have to, right? Now the problem is we've forced EVERYONE to up their game.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info