It's been a long time since I've felt this stupid

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I was reading the review for Cities: Skylines on Kotaku and was blown away by the graphics, attention to detail and seeming simplicity of the game. It looks amazing. The closer for me was when he said how easy it is by default. Just don't do anything profoundly stupid and you'll always have enough cash.

Cities: Skylines: The Kotaku Review

Well apparently I'm dumb because I don't get the game at all. Forget the complex stuff, I can't even lay down pipes and get a neighborhood plumbed. The area shows that it's covered but some houses are still blinking with a little sewer icon. And you have different lines for sewer and fresh water but they apparently can't cross. How does that work? You know how hard it is to make a grid where pipes can't cross? It's not hard. It's impossible. Surely I'm doing something wrong but then that blasted video review pops into my head and I can hear him telling me how easy it is.

So then they're bitching about not having a dump and so I build one and now the trucks are getting stuck in traffic but I don't have access to highways this early in the game and IT IS A NEIGHBORHOOD THE SIZE OF 2 SQUARE BLOCKS.

It was so much work. I was waiting for the fun. It was legitimately frustrating and I finally said fuck it and shut it off. I was pissed at the game and more than that I was pissed at myself for apparently being so stupid because the reviews for the game are almost unanimously great. I just wanted to build a city in peace. With the old Sim City games you could get started relatively easily and not run into problems until your city got big. With this game I can't even get a 2 block neighborhood to run properly with all services without them complaining that they don't have any water, their shit spilling into the street, their garbage trucks getting stuck in traffic and oh yeah, I thought I powered the whole town but apparently not because they're complaining about that too. Also I'm out of money and with every passing day I lose a couple hundred more dollars.

I feel like such an old man right now. This legitimately has me pissed off and flustered. Does anyone else play this game? Am I just functionally retarded?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I don't have 8 hours a day to do monotonous work like that. When someone tells me it's easy I'm thinking it's pretty straightforward but the game has no tutorial so you're figuring everything out by trial and error.

I'll get this. I'm not an out of touch old man. I'll make a functional 2 square blocks if it's the last thing I do. :rofl:

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
punching-trees.jpg

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
My brother has the game. So far he said he screwed up his first city because he was getting the hang of it. Restarted with a new city and things are going smooth. I havent bought it yet. Im still on cities xxl. But sounds like you and I have similar game interest. Maybe we can discuss over table top sometime :dancingnaughty:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I tried again tonight. Started at 7:00 and built up a pretty nice city. Parts of it started losing power so to get some quick money I raised taxes to 30% for 10 seconds. That threw things out of whack enough that 2 hours later my city was empty and $600,000 in debt.

Once you get the hang of it it's a lot better.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I tried again tonight. Started at 7:00 and built up a pretty nice city. Parts of it started losing power so to get some quick money I raised taxes to 30% for 10 seconds. That threw things out of whack enough that 2 hours later my city was empty and $600,000 in debt.

Once you get the hang of it it's a lot better.

Newb mistake. Older simulations you could manipulate using those tricks, newer sims know what you are doing and make you pay for it. I bet you could get away with 5-10%...maybe.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Cant you take out a loan in the game?

You can but by the time I was in the red I was in for several hundred thousand and the biggest loan at the time was $50,000.

No worries though. There's an option for unlimited money so I just turned that on, spent like 3 hours laying out roads, power and plumbing and then went to town (literally).

This game is much more fun when you have unlimited cash.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
You can but by the time I was in the red I was in for several hundred thousand and the biggest loan at the time was $50,000.

No worries though. There's an option for unlimited money so I just turned that on, spent like 3 hours laying out roads, power and plumbing and then went to town (literally).

This game is much more fun when you have unlimited cash.

Is there a setting for empty businesses to demolish themselves? I hate tearing down empty buildings every 5 seconds..... But my first town is at the point that I am earning $7k a week, and almost 12k residents.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info