My current laptop is going to shit.... Need ideas on what to get!

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I currently have a Dell Inspiron N4110 that I have owned for about 3 years now. It has served me well, but is showing its age and the battery has gone to shit, so I am looking for a replacement.

I use my laptop for:

-AutoCAD 2D drawing as well as 3D modeling with Inventor and Solidworks
-Acquiring and storing large movie files ;)
-MS Office programs
-Burning DVD's & CD's
-Datalogging for vehicle EFI computer recalibration
-Other random crap that most users do.

My current laptop specs are:

-Dell Inspiron N4110
-Intel Core i3 Dual Core 2.2GHz processor
-OS Windows 7 64 bit (I would like to keep 7, I HATE 8, from the few experiences I had with it so far, due to tablet type of interface)
-14.0" Screen AMD TFT LCD
-4.0GB RAM
-750GB HDD
-Multi-Card Slot (SD, Memory Stick, etc)
-DVD Multi burner
-USB 3.0 x 2ea, USB 2.0 x2ea
-I think I spent around $350-400, so a pricepoint not higher than $400 would be good.

I would like my new computer to have:

-At least the same or better specs than my old one. I really would like a 1TB or bigger HDD, a faster CPU for the modeling, as well as more RAM for modeling as well.
-The Multi-card reader is a must too. I mainly use SD Cards in it.
-Windows 7 if possible, unless Win 8 can be easily made to not seem like a retarded tablet.
-USB 3.0 in a few of the ports would be nice.
-DVD Multi burner

-Stay under the $400 budget

I really like Dell, have been using them for my last 3 machines, and would naturally prefer to stick with them, but if you have a good recommendation for another quality brand, then that's ok too.

I have never asked for help on picking a laptop before, but for some reason it seems that my recent searches have only been turning up laptops that are of similar spec to my 3 year old one, and for the same price as what I bought mine originally for! Why the heck would I buy a laptop that specs the same as my 3 year old one, for the same price?!?!? What say you, TCG?

Thanks, Rob.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Screw the huge HD unless you really are storing that much crap on it.

SSD

SSD

ESSS ESSS DEEE!!!!

Its like witchcraft turbos for a PC.

As for the Specs. If you are primarily looking at Intel laptops their CPU clock speeds have remain largely unchanged. What has happened is that the CPU's have gotten MUCH faster per clock. Instead of doing say 10 things per clock cycle, they now do 14 things per clock cycle. Which leads to a huge improvement in speed.

If you can do a laptop with a large chassis, you can run two HD's, a SSD OS Boot drive + standard HD for storage.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Screw the huge HD unless you really are storing that much crap on it.

SSD

SSD

ESSS ESSS DEEE!!!!

Its like witchcraft turbos for a PC.

As for the Specs. If you are primarily looking at Intel laptops their CPU clock speeds have remain largely unchanged. What has happened is that the CPU's have gotten MUCH faster per clock. Instead of doing say 10 things per clock cycle, they now do 14 things per clock cycle. Which leads to a huge improvement in speed.

If you can do a laptop with a large chassis, you can run two HD's, a SSD OS Boot drive + standard HD for storage.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the CPU clocking thing. I prefer a smaller to medium sized laptop actually. SSD is great, and I would be willing to sacrifice storage space for an SSD's speed, if affordable. My brother has been really recommending the SSD too. It would be cool to get a new laptop with one, but I am afraid it will break the budget, which I feel I should really try sticking to.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
The autocad and 3d stuff is throwing this off. Are you getting decent performance in that area from your current laptop? It is the only part of your requirements that seems to scream for more cpu and graphics horsepower.

I am getting decent enough performance from my current laptop. AutoCAD will open the drawing file, hesitate for about 5 seconds, and then be good to go after that.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I was going to say a Dell Inspiron 7000 series laptop. The one I have (7737) has 2gb gtx750m graphics card, 12gb ram (maybe more, can't remember), 1tb hard drive, i7 4500k cpu, (4) USB 3.0, card reader slots, 17" display, cd/DVD rw. But.....I spent about $1k on it. Could always swap out the hard drive, put a ssd in it, and if need be, grab an external portable hard drive for movies and whatnot.

With a $400 price tag...I can't help ya right now. Lol

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I had 4 or 5 Dell laptops. I don't think I was hard on them but they were all pretty miserable for reliability. The last one I had was a top of the line Studio I think? It was a 17" model. Wonderful computer but miserable build quality. The screen broke free from the base, the battery wouldn't stay on for more than an hour after only a few months of use, the DVD drive went out... And it was like that for all of them.

Then I switched to MACs. Say what you will about Apple but I've yet to see anything that even approaches the build quality of a Macbook. I'm on my 15" retina right now. I beat the snot out of this thing. I even dropped it on my car a month back. It's silent, it's powerful, it doesn't run hot, it's small, the keyboard is lit, it feels solid, the screen is magnificent and the list goes on and on and on. With the SSD drive I can shut it down with 30 windows open and then boot it back up and it will be ready to go in 30 seconds with all those windows/ programs opened and ready to go. It's my third Macbook and they've all been great. I've had it for almost 2 years now and the battery still goes for 3 - 4 hours.

There are so many things you don't realize piss you off until you get a macbook. The fans on my Dells and my ASUS Republic of Gamers would always be running. You'd sit with the computer in your lap and it would be burning and making a racket. I've got my Macbook sitting on a high pile carpet right now with no fans running and no noise at all. No hard drive, nothing. There's a list of small stuff like that that goes on for days. The attention to detail is what converts you.

If I ever returned to windows it will be on a Macbook booting into Windows. Seriously, if you're any kind of power user a Macbook is amazing, even if you're a windows guy. They're a reason they're used for a lot of industry work. Not to mention the resale value when you go to sell it will be much higher. I paid $1500 for my retina in April of 2013. I can list it for $1300 right now and be the cheapest price for it on eBay. Find me a Dell where that happens. $200 in depreciation in two years for any computer is madness.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Macs are just expensive and pretty business grade laptops. Same components, same fans, same quality. The only place I can see paying for them is the retina monitor for video/photo editting as it is better for that.

Consumer grade hp,dell, toshiba are all junk in regards to flexing, bad hinges, falling when breaking etc etc. Try that with a business grade lenovo,dell, hp and it is a whole different animal as they are supposed to last 3-5 years for business lease.

Tbh I would just put an SSD in your existing laptop at that budget range and upgrade it to 8gb of ram. Way more bang for buck. also a replacement battery.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Macs are just expensive and pretty business grade laptops. Same components, same fans, same quality. The only place I can see paying for them is the retina monitor for video/photo editting as it is better for that.

Consumer grade hp,dell, toshiba are all junk in regards to flexing, bad hinges, falling when breaking etc etc. Try that with a business grade lenovo,dell, hp and it is a whole different animal as they are supposed to last 3-5 years for business lease.

Tbh I would just put an SSD in your existing laptop at that budget range and upgrade it to 8gb of ram. Way more bang for buck. also a replacement battery.

Yeah I clearly missed the budget requirements which would eliminate pretty much any modern Macbook from consideration anyhow.

So I'll +1 the recommendation to swap your existing drive for an SSD.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Then I switched to MACs. Say what you will about Apple but I've yet to see anything that even approaches the build quality of a Macbook.

I completely agree! The Apple stuff, whether it be the Macbooks, the iPads, iPods, etc are built very solid! The reason I switched to liking Dell was that I had a Latitude issued to me while teaching classes for the government. It was a very solid computer, with a magnesium case that was on par with Mac stuff. My previous laptop was a newer Latitude as well, then the current laptop I have, I stepped down to an Inspiron consumer grade laptop due to lacking budget.

If I had my preference, I would have either a Macbook that booted Windows or a Dell business laptop again; but that just isn't in the cards right now.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Revisiting this. My onboard mouse has been taking a crap lately but two nights ago got a whole lot worse. It is functioning enough where I can backup all my files to an external drive.

It looks like in order for me to get anything halfways decent, I will need to increase my budget a bit. Perhaps up to $600. Any suggestions at that price point?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I would NEVER own a Dell, HP, or Lenovo etc that was "consumer grade". I've had two different Dell Latitude's (enterprise grade), and should be getting a third within the month or two. Never ever a problem with the hinges or cases and they have been deadnuts reliable.

Also, don't even consider a laptop if you aren't planning on putting an SSD into. It is an absolute night and day difference. If you need to keep some larger files, SSD plus an external will do you fine.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I would NEVER own a Dell, HP, or Lenovo etc that was "consumer grade". I've had two different Dell Latitude's (enterprise grade), and should be getting a third within the month or two. Never ever a problem with the hinges or cases and they have been deadnuts reliable.

Also, don't even consider a laptop if you aren't planning on putting an SSD into. It is an absolute night and day difference. If you need to keep some larger files, SSD plus an external will do you fine.

I have been looking at Dell XPS laptops this afternoon. They seem to be pretty good computers. The bad is that I would really have to get comfortable with the idea of extending my budget even further.

I liked my Latitudes that I used to have before, and looked into them lately as well, but none appeared to offer a SSD. Sure, they offered 1TB HDD, which is nice for the space, but it seems like having a SSD is a good decision considering the 2D and 3D modeling I do. I believe the graphics card is better in the XPS too, but I am still looking into that.

Don't even get a laptop. Get a venue or surface pro....no hinges

I cannot even imagine a tablet being up to the task of running the 3D modeling programs that I use, let alone not being cumbersome to operate while doing so. Besides, I already have a tablet.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I have been looking at Dell XPS laptops this afternoon. They seem to be pretty good computers. The bad is that I would really have to get comfortable with the idea of extending my budget even further.

I liked my Latitudes that I used to have before, and looked into them lately as well, but none appeared to offer a SSD. Sure, they offered 1TB HDD, which is nice for the space, but it seems like having a SSD is a good decision considering the 2D and 3D modeling I do. I believe the graphics card is better in the XPS too, but I am still looking into that.

It's going to be REALLY hard, if not impossible, to get a quality laptop, for what you need, for under $400. $400 is about what a medium-end consumer grade laptop seem to be starting at, before you start getting into the SSD and GPU's. I would be thinking about doubling your budget, if you want to keep the laptop for an extended period of time, otherwise start keeping an eye on craigslist/ebay or talk to [MENTION=1848]MikeyLikesIt[/MENTION] as he seems to have a ton of laptops that come across or he can at least steer you to what you may need.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I didn't even see the $400 budget :rofl: ...yeah good luck on that...

When I was still talking about the $400 budget, SSD and many other additional options weren't being talked about yet because I was looking for a mere replacement of my existing laptop; not an upgrade. The thread has since snowballed.

I ended up picking up a Dell XPS 13 for $740 shipped after tax. It originally sells for $850, but I had a 10% military discount and took advantage of a few small coupon codes Dell has going. It has the new 5th generation Intel Core i3 processor, 128GB SSD, HD screen, Integrated Broadwell Intel HD Graphics 5500 GPU, etc. If my current laptop was able to handle Autocad, Inventor, and Solidworks then this one should be able to do so even better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info