Man of Steel Review

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Since not everyone goes into the trailer thread, here are my thoughts after seeing the movie last night:

It is fucking terrible. The only good in the movie was the fight scenes. But the didn't fit with the story for a number of reasons that I'll avoid mentioning to prevent spoilers. But here the bullet points of my thoughts:

-Garbage acting, worse and than TV movie/soap opera level
-Terrible story with hundreds of holes in it
-Scene and time to transitions are random, confusing at times and terrible.
-Bad casting
-Story points that are not explained

Since I'm typing this on my tablet, I'll save my spoiler ridden complaints for later. But don't waste your $10 on it

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ok, home and infront of a laptop.

First, Dave, you are flat out crazy and possibly out of your mind. Are you sure you went and saw Man of Steel and not Guy of Metal?

Lets jump right in...

The acting - I didnt have any real issue was it. When compared to other superhero movies, I wouldnt say it was the best, but it certainly held its own. I was perfectly content with the casting choices and I would have to say Henry Cavill did a good job as superman. When he had his first lines, I was nervous but they quickly went away the more he talked. Michael Shannon was an excellent Zod. Amy Adams was a decent enough Lane. Crowe was OUTSTANDING as Jor El. One could complain that there really wasnt a lot of dialog in the movie, and they would be correct...but I dont think this movie was really about in depth talks, it was about action.

The story - There is literally no reason to complain about it. Superman really only has one origin story and EVERYONE knows what it is. I liked how they started the movie at Krypton and then jumped right into his 20s & 30s with flashbacks to his childhood. It was done quite well and at the right moments which no hit to the storytelling. If I had a complain, it was how Pa Kent died....holy fucking stupid. They couldnt have thought of ANY other way? I get the why, just dont agree with the execution. Dave, I'm not sure what plotholes you're referring to...I would have to go back and watch it a second time...being that its a superhero movie, I take those with a grain of salt. I'm also quite glad they spent very little time on Clark Kent. Hes a boring character and we've seen enough of him over the years. Also, *spoiler*, having Louis already know him when he came to the Planet, added a welcome change to the movie dynamic.

The action - not much to say...it was top notch and well done. Limited shakey camera and for a change, a superman movie showed superman actually USING his powers. The end battle was a bit drawn out tho...they seemed to just have destruction for the sake of destruction.

More thoughts (spoilers) -

• I enjoyed when Superman had Zod in a headlock and had to choose between his people and earth. It was well acted and I believed the emotion behind the choice.
  • I would still rail Diane Lane.
  • I liked the score for the movie a lot.
  • Movie should have been trimmed down to closer around 2 hours rather than 2.5.
  • Good casting choices for younger Clark...they all seemed to have similarities to Cavill.
  • Metropolis REALLY got fucked up....I mean really bad...I hate when movies just jump forward and dont acknowledge ANY of the destruction at the end.

My final verdict....and I cant believe I'm saying this...I would rank this up there with Batman Begins...It is not better, but on the enjoyment scale, I put it up there with it. TDK & TDKR still reign as the superhero movie kings.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Pros:
-Loved the seamless intertwining of past and present
-From the very start you see a young Clark Kent's powers and his current struggles being super
-Russell Crowe was fantastic
-Great action and carnage, though the last 45 min almost felt like a Bay movie.

Cons:
-Acting fell flat on many occasions
-Lack of "smarts" to the resolve. All physical carnage and fighting.
-I would have preferred more origin story and learning powers than jumping right into the Zod storyline

Overall, would def see again and enjoyed it for the most part. Solid B. Nothing wow, but a great summer flick.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
To touch on your comment about using smarts...I'm glad they chose to show Supermans raw emotion during his battles. Sure, hes a smart guy, but it was a welcome change to see him fighting with rage rather than his goody goody attitude.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I like how they presented Zod as him thinking himself as a savior of his people, and not just some bumbling psycho who just likes wrecking shit. That girl was a complete badass too.

Did you guys catch any of the Easter Eggs? Like the satellite they crashed into had "Wayne Enterprises" written on it. There were a few others too.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
If i can have ONE major complaint it's this.... They spent so much of the movie talking about how people would freak once they saw Clark for what he was... Yet NO ONE acted scared or shocked when he could fly or smash shit.. They acted most surprised when he broke the handcuffs :rofl:

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
If i can have ONE major complaint it's this.... They spent so much of the movie talking about how people would freak once they saw Clark for what he was... Yet NO ONE acted scared or shocked when he could fly or smash shit.. They acted most surprised when he broke the handcuffs :rofl:

Not necessarily. When he first showed himself to the military, they all had like 5 tanks pointed at him. And they really were scared, that's why when they were trying to gun the badguys down they also initially targeted him as well. That was the whole point of him finally showing himself. The world was only going to accept him if he showed at a time in need and saved them in a way in which only he could.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I think all the actors are the perfect choice. Just wish the director would have pushed a little harder for some of them to deliver lines with more emotion. Like Zod in the opening scenes.

They cast the perfect Superman. My favorite of the chain, both tv and movie.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Ok [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION], Here are some of my complaints: (Full of Spoilers)
Acting:

Superman: all lines and scenes are delivered with similar expressions and emphasis. I felt like I was watching Kristen Stewart.

The inconsistencies of powers/strengths:

- Superman's strength, speed, power, ect all come from the sun and the earths atmosphere. But when he is fighting the other Kryptonians, they are neither breathing the oxygen or exposed to the sun, How are they as strong as him?
-How is Zod as strong as superman with 3 seconds of exposure when Superman has had 33 years of exposure.

Story Issues:

-Dialog, There was no depth or realism to anyone's character other than Zod and superman's father.

-The 4 winged thing in the beginning. It is neither explained or makes sense as no other animals are seen on krypton.

-The thing with all the DNA is half a skull, but it is newer explained why it was that and not just on a "Master Key" like all of Krypton's other info.

-How is all the DNA in Superman? This makes less sense than superman.

-Interrogation scene: How do they get in the desert? This transition felt like 2+ minutes of movie were skipped.

-Why is lois Lane on the plane? It would have taken 2 seconds to show a military person how to put the little key in the ship. The step that she isn't involved with anyway as the scientist guy does it.

-Final scene with Zod: Superman is holding him back from going right and killing people. When Superman breaks his neck, he goes right, This would have killed that poor family before going far enough to break his neck.

-Zod's instant power mastery, laser vision that is 10x more intense than supermans and Superman telling him how to control the overload of senses when breathing oxygen.

-Superman's scream after killing Zod, this was very similar to the scream at the end of Star wars 3 (as in terrible). Also, in all the comics, cartoons, and other superman movies, his breath is extremely powerful. But somehow his uncontrolled scream of emotion has no power at all.

I'll think of more in a bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info