Kawasaki has a PWC with a larger factory blower than a GTP had... or a TERMINATOR

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
ohnohedidnt

004_KAWASAKI-ULTRA-310-HOT-ROD.jpg

001_KAWASAKI-ULTRA-310-HOT-ROD.jpg

How Kawi Brings 310 BHP Out of a 1.5L Sportbike Engine
Can we just call this the Hellcat of Jet Skis? It needs a low-power key for the weak-willed, it’s got a blower, and it’s just about as irrational. What we’re talking about is the 310hp, 1,498cc four-banger in Kawasaki’s Ultra 310-series of Jet Skis. Known internally as the JT1500LHF (LHF probably stands for the first thing out of your mouth at full-tilt: “Like, holy f***!”), this water-cooled, DOHC, air-to-water-intercooled Jet Ski is electronically limited just under 70 mph, but with an Eaton TVS supercharger carrying a pulley that looks like it could be a few fractions of an inch smaller and a healthy aftermarket, we don’t think it’s an issue for those wanting a bit more insanity.

Starting with the company’s 210hp Ninja ZX-14R sportbike engine, Kawi strapped on a 2.0L, four-lobe TVS blower that feeds 16.8 psi of intercooled boost through a 60mm throttle-body. Inside, the water-jacketed cylinders are chrome-composite plated for durability and improved heat transfer. Those 1,498 cc’s come from a bore and stroke of 83×69.2mm, with twin oil squirters for each piston, and static compression comes in at 8.2:1.

been out for a while, i just never saw a pic of the engine... and then i did today and had to find out what s/c was on it... 2.0L tvs :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
riding it you can hear blower whine too. it's pretty awesome :rofl:
i wish i could justify the ridiculous price these command. i'd buy one in a heartbeat

i wonder how they ride, seeing as how some small boats weigh the same :rofl:

kinda surprised they don't have a higher top speed when modded either... i mean stage one kits on the riva seadoo's and yamaha's are mid to upper 70s if not 80s... the kaw is 73

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
i'm not familiar with these, if i look into it too much i'll end up buying one :rofl: but with 300hp i would think an impeller and tune would send this damn close to 80. the SC looks belt driven, which means pulley swap would be possible too. :pedobear:

new they start over $15k. $18k for a loaded one :fu: :bowrofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
per the comments

Q: Is there anyway you can make the ski faster?

A: The Kawasaki 310 is a very powerful and stable ski. But the hull design seriously limits the top speed potential of the ski. To get a 310 to go more than 75 MPH is very difficult and very expensive.

makes sense tho. it's a very stable ski

interesting. i want to ride one.

i kinda feel similarly. although the doodads and gadgets on the new seadoos are pretty neat...

and stage 1 300 seadoo vs stage 1 gp1800r looks like both ~80 mph rides. which is neat.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
ohnohedidnt

been out for a while, i just never saw a pic of the engine... and then i did today and had to find out what s/c was on it... 2.0L tvs :rofl:

Larger because marine engines operate without a transmission. There’s a fancy engineering term (adiabatic/isentropic efficiency) for the characteristics of the volume, pressure and temperature gain of the air that correlates to the blower curve. It’s got to be making relatively cool air at WOT under load to not melt the engine down and I imagine they accomplish that mostly by using a larger blower. Just like crazy boat motors that are 800ci+ with blowers making 1000+ hp on pump gas on 7lbs of boost.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Larger because marine engines operate without a transmission. There’s a fancy engineering term (adiabatic/isentropic efficiency) for the characteristics of the volume, pressure and temperature gain of the air that correlates to the blower curve. It’s got to be making relatively cool air at WOT under load to not melt the engine down and I imagine they accomplish that mostly by using a larger blower. Just like crazy boat motors that are 800ci+ with blowers making 1000+ hp on pump gas on 7lbs of boost.

right right. really neat shit.

they also talk about on some website i was reading that the blower used is much beefier/heavier duty than normal land-going s/c's to deal with the typical pwc throttle of 0 - 100% every 26 seconds 62 times. :rofl: and that there is a lot of g forces a car will never see but a pwc will regularly.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
i kinda feel similarly. although the doodads and gadgets on the new seadoos are pretty neat...

and stage 1 300 seadoo vs stage 1 gp1800r looks like both ~80 mph rides. which is neat.

Yamaha has been slowly adding technology, but Seadoo has a lot of cool features. I like Yamaha GP's for 2 reasons, first reliability and second the hull is bad ass. Plus as you mentioned, Riva makes a lot of nice mods for the GPR platform.

Anyways, these new PWC's are getting way too pricey. $14K plus is a lot for a new GPR.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’d imagine oiling is another issue

oh for sure, at first i thought the SC was on top, but this is how the engine actually sits from ABOVE :rofl:

dry sump oil system for a sc or what? :rofl:

Yamaha has been slowly adding technology, but Seadoo has a lot of cool features. I like Yamaha GP's for 2 reasons, first reliability and second the hull is bad ass. Plus as you mentioned, Riva makes a lot of nice mods for the GPR platform.

Anyways, these new PWC's are getting way too pricey. $14K plus is a lot for a new GPR.

i guess the new seadoo hull is ridiculously awesome... wider and lower sitting position, ive read you basically have to try to get wet at all on it. which depending what you're doing/where you're doing it is the name of the game... for me im going to ride it like a full bagger harley with jeans and a tshirt on in the middle of october.

and shit... 14k is on the middle end :rofl:

the kaw/yam/seadoo top dogs are 16-19k

the new seadoo stuff with the linq system, sound system (kawasaki has it also) etc., is fucking awesome.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
dat yamadawg reliability though is enticing like you said...

my hiccup is the "high end" stuff, needs premium... which i know on lake G is doable at gordy's iirc, but i think most chain pumps are 89 and bald knob has one for 91.

the seadoo 230hp motor doesn't need premium so i kinda like that a lot right now... because speed limiter removed its a 72/73 mph ski... yamadawg you have to go non supercharged and it's a 60/62 mph ski, 63-65 riva stage one

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i really like this guy's site and write ups because he doesn't seem too biased

2018 Sea-Doo vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki - Steven in Sales

i asked about dry/rough water rides and got this...

I would say the GTX, RXT or Ultra’s are going to be the ones that are best for rough water. The GTX or RXT bodies (ST3 hulls) are going be dry and you’ll have to actually try to get wet. Even the GTI bodies or VX bodies are pretty dry, but not as dry as the bigger models.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The VXR for sure is going to feel more nimble and have a quicker take-off. Yamaha did a good job on making this craft. Even though it lacks a supercharger it doesn’t need one, its just as fast is the GTR from Sea-Doo who has a supercharger. And you have a shot to buy a leftover 2017, sounds like a win to me. The only reason I would consider the GTX 230 is if you want a super stable and comfortable ride, but if you want fast and nimble go with the VXR.

another neat tidbit

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
dat yamadawg reliability though is enticing like you said...

my hiccup is the "high end" stuff, needs premium... which i know on lake G is doable at gordy's iirc, but i think most chain pumps are 89 and bald knob has one for 91.

the seadoo 230hp motor doesn't need premium so i kinda like that a lot right now... because speed limiter removed its a 72/73 mph ski... yamadawg you have to go non supercharged and it's a 60/62 mph ski, 63-65 riva stage one

I'm cheap so I just fill three 5 gallon jugs of 93 at the BP. I'm not paying $5 plus a gallon. My model GPR is a gas hog. I wonder if the newer ones being 4 stoke are much more efficient.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info