My 2017 Colorado Dual Sport Trip

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Back in early September I loaded my DRZ400 and gear into my truck and headed for CO. I had been planning this trip for a year. It was a bucket list type trip and it did not disappoint.

First I spent 3 nights in Buena Vista riding the 4 mile OHV area. Some very nice and somewhat easy riding through desert like conditions. This was to get warmed up for what was ahead.

Then I spent 5 nights in Ouray, CO. The heart of the San Juan Mountains.
I rode every major 4x4 mountain pass in the area. Black Bear, Imogene, Engineer, Cinnamon, California, Hurricane, Corkscrew, Ophir, ect. Completed the Alpine loop. These passes are no joke and pics/video do them no justice whatsoever! It was one of the most challenging and rewarding trips I have every taken. One of the most beautiful areas I have ever had the chance to ride in. Definitely a trip to remember.

Here are a bunch of pic from the trip and I will work on getting some more descriptions.

Buena Vista 4 Mile OHV Trails

35n0uup.jpg

2uf56dk.jpg

k2mub.jpg

imur5w.jpg

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
wait for summer so you don't have to be too cautious of snow... even though it could snow whenever.
[MENTION=4838]1MEANGT[/MENTION] did you go alone?

Yes, this was a solo trip. I did meet some cool Iowa guys camping in Ouray. So many dual sport guys, and everyone was amazingly nice and friendly. I rode Black Bear with them as I really did not want to do it alone. It is pretty wicked, especially going down the backside. It is so dangerous that it is one way only down from just before the "steps" to half way down the switchbacks.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
That looks awesome Mike, I am a bit jealous. Howcome you went alone?

Long story short I do not have many friends that ride off road. Aron and I originally planned to take our larger ADV bikes out but he had to back out.

Honestly it was a blessing in disguise. Since he backed out I decided to take the dual sport. And thank god I did. I would have been in trouble and not able to ride half of what I did on my Africa Twin. Riding and picking up a 300lb bike at 12,000 - 13,000 ft on ridiculous inclines is much easier then a 500+ lb ADV bike. And I had way more fun on the DRZ.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Long story short I do not have many friends that ride off road. Aron and I originally planned to take our larger ADV bikes out but he had to back out.

Honestly it was a blessing in disguise. Since he backed out I decided to take the dual sport. And thank god I did. I would have been in trouble and not able to ride half of what I did on my Africa Twin. Riding and picking up a 300lb bike at 12,000 - 13,000 ft on ridiculous inclines is much easier then a 500+ lb ADV bike. And I had way more fun on the DRZ.

I have no clue what your saying in that second paragraph but I like it :hsughlol:

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
I have no clue what your saying in that second paragraph but I like it :hsughlol:

Hahaha! I have 3 bikes. The Africa Twin is a large adventure bike. On/off road capable and weighs in over 500 lbs.

My DRZ400 is a dual sport. Basically a street legal dirt bike and weighs closer to 300 lbs. Much easier to handle on knarley terrain. And much easier to pick up if I drop it.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
When were you out there?
Some buddies and I did the TAT from OK - Moab from Sept 9-16, we went right through that area - 2 fat guys on AT's, a short fucker on a KTM 690 and a dipshit(me) on an XR650.

It is beautiful out there, I will definitely go back out for some more!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info