Tomorrow is the day #newbraaap

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
After a few months of searching, dieting and dreaming.....Im finally getting a braaap toy.

I found a 2015 Yamaha YZ250F 4-stroke for a steal. Its on consignment right now at a local dealer. But I worked out a deal on it tonight. Going to pay for it tomorrow and do the paperwork.

Im going to get some gear too. Plus I have to get a hitch installed on the Explorer (Im keeping the mustang). And I have to find a cheap moto trailer. Open trailer most likely. Less than $500 would be nice.

The bike has an hour meter and has less than 20 hours on it. Has some after market parts and the suspension was setup for a 220lb rider. That will work for me. Im already down into the low 250s and should be hitting my goal of 220 in the next three months. It has some crappy graphics on it, but they are over the factory ones and I should be able to put it back to the stock look easy.

Man Im excited. Ive totally lost the love for the car sport over the last few months. I do love my mustang and its a great daily driver. But I have no need or want to buy anything but gas for it. I will still hit the drag strip here and there, but no mods. I have another probably $1000 to spend on all the gear I will want for MX and trails.

But this is awesome. I couldnt be happier. The dude is waiting to sell it so he can get a 2018 model.

I went to rocky glen in rockford with my son last weekend. He spend like 3 hours on the beginner track and desprately wanted to ride the trails. I couldnt do that on foot. Now I will be able to putt along behind him and help him if he gets into trouble. Hes already crashed probably 10 times on it at the track that day. I have replaced two sets of bars and grips, and the shifter lever now.

So I plan to get the bike looking stock again, then get an FMF Ti exhaust for it. Then get a kick stand so I can keep it upright when I have to jump off and help my son up. He wipes out pretty much everytime he rides. But hes pushing himself so thats good. Im super proud of him and this will help me support him and have fun myself. Heres a pic of what it looks like.

071814-2015_Yamaha_YZ250F_MO_A.jpg

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Ahhhhhhhhh, a moto cross weapon!
Very nice

Congratulations!

I agonized over getting a 450 because of my weight and experience, but quickly realized that I would not be able to take either 250 or 450 to its limit, plus being able to wring out a smaller engine will be more fun vs always be holding back on the power of a 450. So the 250f made more sense. Its very common that people claim the 250f is more fun to ride than the 450. The 450 really needs a huge track or big enduro course to make use of all the power. Not some small stadium MX track like we have locally.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Very cool. If this BW350 I picked up ends up boring me I'm going for a WR450 to replace it and want to get into some trail riding around here and in Michigan. I have a bunch of friends with MX and Enduro style bikes who are always out and about in the UP.

Just because of ignorance, what made you go with the 250 over the 450?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Very cool. If this BW350 I picked up ends up boring me I'm going for a WR450 to replace it and want to get into some trail riding around here and in Michigan. I have a bunch of friends with MX and Enduro style bikes who are always out and about in the UP.

Just because of ignorance, what made you go with the 250 over the 450?

Lots and lots of advice from dealers, and people at the tracks and online. The common thought is that the 250f is more fun to ride for lazy vet riders. They make you feel fast and you usually wont over jump things. 450s are deceivingly fast.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Gotcha, so for the average guy, the 250 is the way to go. I'm sure they're cheaper as well. I need to research more if I'm going to buy something.

Where do you plan to ride the one you're buying?

Byron motorsports park has open practice all the time. Rocky Glen in rockford as well as many other small places I know of with trails and whatnot. There are some awesome tracks in WI too. Aztalan I believe in Lake Mills.

Mostly going to rockford with my kid. Follow him around. He made some friends too that are on 50s and their dads ride too. Maybe get a group of dads and kids and let them ride the trails.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Rocky glen is pretty small according to [MENTION=4838]1MEANGT[/MENTION]

But since you're mainly getting your son some practice, let him fuckin rip.

Its 120 acres. Three tracks and several miles of trails. Its perfect for dirt bikes but not much else. Quads are ok there and SxS. but not on the tracks. We were there last weekend. Spent all day on the beginner track with my son. But he really wanted to ride the trails.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info