HELP!! Wanting another UTV again.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
A buddy has one for sale for a steal of a price and I'm considering it. It is a huge ass Yamaha Viking bus , but would be good to get the wife/kids or whoever up to the UP. Great shape, warranty, and some goodies.

The problem is, I don't get up there too often in the summer as I'd like to. I know it is dumb to consider it but I can't help myself. I have the car and bike down here already.

Who takes their whole family to the Northwoods, goes out on ATVs or UTVs, etc. Do the kids like it? What else do you do?

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
my sister has 20 acres in WI. they have 2 UTV's.

1 for the kids to mess around on, 1 for the adults.

1 had doors and heat to use in the winter for plowing / brother-in-law to go to his deer stand.

the few times a year we get up there they are a blast to drive around and goof off in on the 7is acres that is the play field / hunting area.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
sounds like the "kids" one. 40 in one of these is blazing. well for what ive done on them it is. im sure on a longer ride with a long straight, 40 might seem lacking.

my sister's one with the plow option, is not goverened. and can get up to speed quite fast. i never look down at the speedo that often because the corners come up fast.

im headed up there for easter. i should be able to romp on each of them and let you know. should be noted they have polaris rangers. so it could differ a little to what you are looking at.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I bought my 8 year old nephew a TRX 125 and he loves it. I'm hoping to get him out on some decent Wisconsin trails. I keep tossing around the idea of buying a RZR so I can take the wife out and she seems interested in at least trying it. Knowing her it's gonna be one and done though. I say go for it. I see myself transitioning to UTV's within the next 4-5 years.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What do you think this is worth? I researched it some yesterday and I'm seeing prices all over the board, but usually this price for a three seater. It does have 3k miles, but these are super reliable and I'm not concerned with that.

does the lift entice you?

i swear i remember seeing viking vi's for about that price brand new... but can't remember correctly :dunno:

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
It is nice since it has brand new and the tires are brand new, roughly $2k in extras. I dunno, this is all impulse and I've talked myself out of it, I think. I dunno, I have visions of bringing the family, dog, and drone up to the UP and Exploring. I have a ton of friends up there who have UTVs and have a RZR in the past and sold it only because I was buying a house.

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
Is it going to be used or a dust collector? How often do you go up to the UP to make it worth while? Storage,can you leave it up there or do you have to trailer it? I know its hard to pass up great deals(I'm an impulse buyer too) but another deal will come along if you don't need it now

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
You're right. Maybe if I didn't have a car and bike for the summer or if I had a house in the UP.

If anyone is interested, I can put you in touch. I know it is dumb idea that isn't in the budget, but a lot of the crap I buy is impulse. I'd be rich if I had self control LOL.

Get the property FIRST, you always find ways to get the other stuff. Like my buddy Bubba says "They cant make more dirt" 10K is a great down payment on a chunk of land and you aren't getting any younger

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Tempting, but I also know I want to move south when I retire. That is a big reason I haven't bought up there. I made an offer on a house up there in 2013 but it didn't go anywhere. $28k house, I offered $20k, they didn't respond. Finally found out they wouldn't take less than asking so offered $26k LOL. They said nope, offered asking price, and they decided not to sell LOL. Their realtor was known for not budging but I had to try. Sort of happy it didn't work out, but I still love the UP. I wish the drive wasn't as far. I have friends in Wisconsin who can make it to the area I like in four hours, which is totally doable. The extra two hours really sucks LOL.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
That thing isn't anywhere NEAR a deal...You can buy those brand new for $11,900. That guy wants $10,500

The one your looking at has 3300 miles...In the off road world that's like 100,000 miles on a car..

I guess I'm comparing to when I had my RZR 800. But this is what I needed to hear haha. I guess the fact that I know him, that he worked at a Yamaha dealer, made the miles not sound so bad.

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
Tempting, but I also know I want to move south when I retire. That is a big reason I haven't bought up there. I made an offer on a house up there in 2013 but it didn't go anywhere. $28k house, I offered $20k, they didn't respond. Finally found out they wouldn't take less than asking so offered $26k LOL. They said nope, offered asking price, and they decided not to sell LOL. Their realtor was known for not budging but I had to try. Sort of happy it didn't work out, but I still love the UP. I wish the drive wasn't as far. I have friends in Wisconsin who can make it to the area I like in four hours, which is totally doable. The extra two hours really sucks LOL.

I'm stuck in Illinois as I don't want to eat the paycut Id take moving somewhere else(union electrician plus I love my job) But right now I like having all 4 seasons within travel. I know "Illinois sucks" but I'm 6 hrs from my buds place in Amasa, 6 hrs from Lake of the Ozarks, 6ish from Tail of the Dragon. There is so much fun stuff to do in every season I need them all

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info