How to measure bridge clearance on boats.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Pulling into the Harbor last Friday I noticed some signs for the water depth indicating the bridge clearance under Lake Shore Drive. As I pulled under I looked up and the bridge looked alot closer to the top of the radar arch verse last year. Kinda too close for comfort. The radar and antennas were off the boat for transport and I installed them back when I got to my slip. Then I got thinking, will this boat even clear with the radar installed? I talked to the harbor master and he said the lake was up 1.5ft this year and alot of boats can't even get in the harbor anymore. He looked at my boat and he said you need to be very carefull. It will be close with the radar on. Granted the boat is low on gas and it was only me on it I still don't want to take any chances. Might have to remove the radar for the year.

How do you measure bridge clearance on boats? I was thinking straight long piece of wood off the side or back of radar and then run a tape messure to the water? Any other ideas?

nysum72.jpg

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Did some rough calculations last night. (Rounding up, so could be a few inches high) We got 11ft bridge clearance and the boat sits at 10.83ft with the radar, low on gas, and no load. :io:

I have no fucking idea how some of these boats got in the harbor that look much better then this one. If the lake keeps rising might have to look for another harbor next year.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
i figured [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] would first send a letter asking to raise the bridge.

Send a letter to the city of Chicago asking to raise a bridge under LSD. :rofl: I will get right on that.

Shitty part is that if this continues to rise next year this harbor will be not used by anything with a radar arch.

11ft clearance fuck. What does the 12 bridge have?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info