I think we are going to need a bigger boat #local #rivermonsters

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Sarley: Huge muskie caught on Fox River near Algonquin Dam on Tuesday | Northwest Herald

l87cm4ni4vctsm8fe1bb3ki71diz5eg

Sometimes you just get the urge to go fishing, you know? Carpentersville’s Nick Wechet woke up on Tuesday morning and his fiancée said to him, “Come on. Let’s go fishing.”

It wasn’t the promise of glorious weather, to be sure. It was cold out with a forecast of clouds, windy weather and colder temps. Weather aside, the engaged couple headed to the banks of the Fox River.

You don’t need a super-duper muskie boat to catch a trophy fish. Sometimes the shore fishermen do as well as the boaters. Wechet proved that fact.

The 23-year old Wechet, who grew up in Lake in the Hills, and his fiancée, Nicole Malkowski, are engaged to be married in 2017 and enjoy fishing together. Although Nick owns a fishing boat, this trip was to be from the banks of the Fox.

“I know this is going to sound crazy, but this was the first time we had gone out fishing this season, in all honesty,” he said.

They positioned themselves below the dam and, after about 30 casts, at approximately 10 a.m. Wechet got a tremendous hit. He was throwing a Devil Head spoon on 80-pound braided line when a big muskie decided to have a meal. It hit the spoon close to shore in fairly shallow water. It felt the pressure and began to run.

“It didn’t take to bring the fish in," Nick said. "I had no net but I was able to grab the fish from the water when I worked it close to the shore line.”

Pictures were quickly taken. Unfortunately, Wechet had no measuring instruments, neither tape nor scale, but he estimated the fish at 50 inches. It was the biggest fish that Nick Wechet had ever caught.

The fish was quickly released back into the water to be caught again another day. The thought of keeping the fish to become a trophy for Wechet’s wall was never considered.

“After I let it go, I sent pictures to some friends and they told me I was crazy for letting it go," he said. "I didn’t really know what to do but I figured it would be to have respect for the fish and to let it go. I had to respect the fish.”

Wechet is an avid fisherman and has been one since he was 5 years old in Lake in the Hills, where he lived for most of his life. He has always been a fan of fishing for catfish on the river. He just started fishing for muskies in the last year or so.

This was below the Algonquin dam, but still amazing big fish like this are around on the Chain/Fox River. :rofl:

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
is the illinois state record muskie still out of the chain/fox river [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION] or do you know?

i know a lot of people muskie fish the chain... crazy that these dinosaur creep fish are out there cruisin' around.

Record Muskie is listed out of Shabbona down in the far southwest burbs...this fish probably is a record, or close to that record of 37 lbs

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Is it just me? Look at his left hand the one under the fish. Isn't that a really huge finger? Just by using my curser as a guide, it looks to be twice as long as the zipper on his pants, (just a reference point). Could be just me never believing anything i see posted anymore...lol

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
The other things that make it look fake is how easily he is holding such a big muskie . His arms are extended as far out as he can . Also the way his right hand us positioned , squeezing the fish gills . And also how his sleeve cuff compared to where his hand is .

Looks like he's holding a smaller fish , with a bigger muskie photoshopped over it .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info