Chain Of Lakes 2016 Marina/Harbor search for a cruiser

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
sooo lets talk marinas on the chain. Seriously considering buying KJ's boat.

looking into bald knob, chain o lakes Marina, and rustic harbor. Prices are from $1400-2000
all three have water and electric at the slips. bald knob does not have showers at their facility as best I can tell where the other two do which is kind of important. If I get the boat I plan to stay overnight most of the time and would like somewhere better than the handheld sprayer in the head to wash up.

I don't know much about the locations of any of these as far as the kind of neighborhood and lake conditions around them. any input?

trying to put together a realistic estimate how much money the whole boat thing is going to cost me. totally different ballgame than Chicago

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
places to investigate that may or may not have what you're lookin' fo.

5-star/patrick

Boat Slip Rental Fox Lake IL Marina

pricey at $2650 for 27-29', but real nice, REAL close to RT 12, and one of the more southern marina's on the chain, good location on the water, walking distance to freddies & moretti's...

Spacious slips are 16’ wide for large cruisers and 12’ wide for all other size boats
Instant access to Pistakee Lake, with the marina located directly off US Route 12 in Fox Lake, IL
Five Star Crew Member T-shirt, hat, boat decal, and key-floats
Completely gated / 24-hour security system
Paved parking
Free holding tank pump outs
Our signature all-inclusive pricing includes shore power, Wi-FI and city water to all piers
Picnic tables provided
SecuraKey™ card access provided for facilities
Lighthouse power stations with amber dock light
Private luxury air-conditioned bathrooms / showers
Fixed pier system features built-in boat protection and 36″ walkways
Memorial Day, Fourth Of July, and Labor Day marina parties
Morreties™ fine dining located at the north end of the property
Famous Freddie’s Roadhouse™ located within walking distance
Launch included with slip rental. Haul out included with winter storage
Canopy and dock box rental available at additional cost
1/2 rate Standby Boat Rentals – Rate is for booking in person on that day (Standby) We can’t reserve the boat at this rate over the phone or in advance. Special rate applies only if boat is not scheduled to go out for the day

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
great lakes yacht sales/100 club
Great Lakes Yacht Sales, Chris Craft Tampa Bay, Sun Coast Yacht Sales, Chicago, St. Pete, Kenosha, Fox Lake, Tampa, Boats, cypress cay, pontoon

$2490 with water/electric..

this place is on route 12, nowhere really walkable from here though, situated in between pistakee & nippersink lake though so it's quick to get to in car after driving through fox lake, it's real quick to get most places on the chain from as well.

nice place, good grass areas and parking, no launch so it doesn't get "crazy busy"

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
chain o lakes marina

this is where my boat was kept so i have direct experience with them, these people are SUPER nice and friendly, it's family run and owned and they all work there. there is a lot of boats in here, on weekends it would get a lil rowdy for sure, quite a few people stay here over the weekends (id bet it's like this at patrick, ben watts, 100 club as well and others, but i dont have direct experience with them)

good quiet place to dock, extremely protected, easy to get to since it's right off 59 basically after it splits off 12, you're on fox lake and good to go from here, a bit of a no-wake out of the harbor but not bad at all. some of the docks are a lil rough and need work but nothing bad or nuts, not much walking distance from here except a gas station, and a few bars iirc...

Boat slips in a park-like setting
In/Out service
Complete boat repair and maintenance
Full service fuel and pump out service on-site
Bottom painting and detailing
Summerization and winterization
Shrink-wrapping and winter storage
Trailer storage
Clean, private bathrooms and showers (with locks)
FREE WI-FI internet access
Ship store with inflatables, accessories, supplies & maintenance items

i think price for this year was gonna be 2k.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I saw 5 star, looks very nice but not sure i can stomach $2700 when there are options for a lot cheaper. they no doubt have the best amenities of everything I've seen, plus the two places to eat/drink on the property. this really hits all the marks I'm looking for.

Not enticed for Ben watts, for the price it doesn't have much goin for it. I'd compromise for lesser of a water location me save another $500 at this point.

GLYS sounds nice but I'd splurge for 5 star at that price point and get everything.

appreciate the input. anything else that may be more mom and pop kinda place, off the beaten path? not afraid to drive. The chain is already so far away, I'll be up there weekends only, doubt I'll come out ever for just an evening.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
rustic harbor is where my boat is stored currently, there are A LOT of big boats back there, probably most of the chain's bigger boats wind up there, i've heard it's a great time on the weekends as well.

it's family run and owned, the people running it currently are our age or so iirc, but they are awesome guys, really know their stuff and are super friendly and it is a definite mom and pa style place.

-Boat slips for all sizes
-Newly remodeled, clean restrooms with showers
-Fresh water hookup included with all slips
-Well maintained grass area with all slips
-Playground for children
-Well lit at night
-Marine travel lift and storage facilities accommodate up to 40ft+

dont know about wifi...

small hiccups with this place is it's a ways through fox lake, and then back in a neighborhood in johnsburg... and with that it's a ways a way out of the harbor to get to the chain to go boating, probably 15 minutes or so.

i dont think there is anywhere walkable either... small convenience store nearby that sells booze as well may be walkable i think though.

Slips

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
bald knob is SUPER nice if you're cool with that drive into johnsburg, additionally, they probably have the shortest "time out of the harbor" time on the chain... since htey are right on pistakee and there is no-no-wake out of it. the big docks kill most every wave i have ever seen there too.

their dock prices fro the $1700 will be hard to beat, but like you said, you need a shower i think...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
just so i block a bunch from my thought process-

d's marine- no showers as far as i know, but in downtown mchenry, so everything in downtown mchenry is walkable... a bit pricy though, i think it was going to be $2200, and then you are in mchenry on the river, so you have a ways to get to the chain, but if you head south through the locks frequently to algonquin or something you are much closer to there.

kings island- next to freddies- no facilities at all, might not even have electric

cabanas- attached to a restaurant- no electric or facilities afaik and not protected at all

port of blarney- i dont think has electric but i could be mistaken- i dont think they have showers either

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
so many damn choices. I don't need to decide right now, just want the ballpark cost of what to expect.

$360 insurance
$180 chain sticker
$2000ish slip
$??? fuel, not sure how much I'll cruise around aimlessly
$1000 maint/upgrades for the year
$1000 winter storage.

$6k ish for the season. plus however much I don't want to think about on gas getting there and back, obscene amounts of alcohol.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
If you decide on the lower river I would recomend Fox River Marina.

Fox River Marina - Find an Activity | Lake County Forest Preserves

It is the newest and nicest marina on the lower IMO. Nice calm and quiet area. Clean and nice docks.

Otherwise nothing special about anywhere else, it would probably come down to cost. If you want to walk places id suggest Ericson marine. I wouldnt say it is the nicest but you can walk to probably a dozen places in downtown Algonquin. Its also in a calm quiet area.

Ericson Marine - Used Motor Boats For Sale - Algonquin IL Dealer

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
West Harbor (up to 32)

All With Water & Electric $2,430.00 $2,330.00
**Shorepower used for air conditioning is an additional $175.00**

Sequoit Harbor Marina -

sequiot harbor is probably closest to 94 but it is very far north being in antioch

you're basically as far north on the chain as you could go

it'd take a while to get to petite if you take a liking to partying there because you wont make the bridge on the long channel and you'll have to go marie- grass lake- nippersink- fox lake- petite.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info