My Honda 400EX

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Picked up a used 2000 400ex this past summer for a decent deal. Wanted something fun and reliable to do some off road and trail riding with. Also a little bit of a project. Over all for a 16 yr old ATV it was in ok shape and runs good. It was all stock with nerf bars and a twist throttle which I was not to fond of.

2vtxr8j.jpg

First things I did was put a thumb throttle back on. Then cleaned up the plastics by lightly sanding them and going over them with a heat gun. This worked out great, made them almost new again. Next I threw a HMF pipe and UNI air filter on. Then rejetted the carb which woke it up.

nowq4i.jpg

1z2dpvo.jpg

20qffid.jpg

2eai6tk.jpg

The frame was looking a bit rough. There was some rust, paint missing, and some poor touch up work done from the PO. So I decided to tear it down this winter and clean it all up.

Now this is an inexpensive ATV. Not looking for show quality here. Just wanted to make it look nice and stop any further rust ect..... Once torn down I cleaned up all the rust and sanded down the frame, sub-frame, A-arms, and other parts. Hit it all with some new primer and paint. The paint color is pretty close to the factory color for this year.

11s1m6s.jpg

dpaao9.jpg

349f67n.jpg

v4yxza.jpg

dzfiut.jpg

2wrgayb.jpg

I ended up getting some new nerf bars as the ones on the quad were rusted together and I had to cut the main connecting pipe to get them off. Put a new front bumper on. Wanted a little more out of it so I opened up the air box with an EHS Racing lid and rejetted the carb once again. Also adjusted the valves since it was torn down. The stock chain and sprockets were getting close to replacement time. Decided to go down 1 tooth in the front and replaced both sprockets and the chain.

Basically put her all back together and she looks great. Took her for a spin the other day and is running like a champ.

izns4i.jpg

2q2r7md.jpg

b7i45i.jpg

So far since I have had the quad I have taken it out to Rocky Glen, Atkinson Motorsport Park, The Bad Lands, and Eagles place for shenanigans. Planning on exploring a few more places this upcoming summer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info