Sledheads - max track length for trail riding?

What length track is best for trail w/a little off-trail riding?

• 121 is best, 121 is fastest

Votes: 1 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 144 (anything bigger is stupid)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Shorter the better for on trail but most new sleds today get great handling with the 136 and 144 tracks since they incline toward the back on the track. I wouldn't go bigger than that imo. Also you will want to make sure it has a wide ski stance. Mountain sleds with long tracks and narrow skis will be poor on trails in comparison to a trail sled but they are great for floatation off trail and sidehilling.

The other benefit to a bit of a longer track is that it spreads over the bumps more making a smoother ride.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Example of what you want from a longer track skid for trail riding. Notice how the rails incline toward the back of the skid.

Nytro+XTX+suspension.jpg

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Shorter the better for on trail but most new sleds today get great handling with the 136 and 144 tracks since they incline toward the back on the track. I wouldn't go bigger than that imo. Also you will want to make sure it has a wide ski stance. Mountain sleds with long tracks and narrow skis will be poor on trails in comparison to a trail sled but they are great for floatation off trail and sidehilling.

The other benefit to a bit of a longer track is that it spreads over the bumps more making a smoother ride.

Example of what you want from a longer track skid for trail riding. Notice how the rails incline toward the back of the skid.

Nytro+XTX+suspension.jpg

Quality advise! Thanks sir!

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I can't speak for other brands but I *think* Yamaha is the only one with the new oddball track lengths 129/137 for the standard track and crossover. VS the older 121/136.

If we were looking between 129 and 137 (because anything longer is dumb for the Midwest) you would need to ride both. But I do honestly think you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if the suspension setup was the same.

Bottom line. Until you ride both. Buy whatever is the better deal.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
137 is cool because it typically spans the bumps on a bumpy trail... and rides smoother...

i'd probably shoot for 129... because the 121 sleds are fucking fast because it's so much less weight to throw around...

i wouldn't ever get longer than 137 around here if you planned on ditchbanging here and hitting wisco trails... planned on being dedicated to playing in the UP sure then. but nahhhh

Thread Info