New rider and Bike

regalzzz

Regalzzz
Sep 15, 2008
Wheaton
Real Name
Matt
Just bought a 2001 Suzuki GS 500 for a steal.

I've ridden before but nothing over 250cc.
Getting my class M within the next few weeks.

Before I start riding this daily I wanted maintenance oil, air filter, and grease up chain.
Plan on buying a helmet also
Any recommendation on where the hot spots are for gear and parts in Chicago?
Or what else that should need attention?

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Congratulations!
For oil you have your option of going to a dealer and spending $50 on 5quarts of motorcycle oil or you can do Rotella T 15w-40 diesel oil. I have been running the rotella in my bike for 5 years and so have my friends with race bikes, with no issues and it's only $18 for 5 quarts. It does have the clutch additives so you are safe.

As far as gear and parts, the cheapest place is online. But if you like to just go in a store and purchase something, there is DGY in downers Grove, Cycle Gear in Schaumburg and Tinley Park and also a new place opened up in Roselle called Top Gear Powersports. They have bike nights every Tuesday as well.

Before you hop on I would always do a pre ride safety check. Check the tires for proper inflation, check for dry rot, check turn signals, headlight and brake light. Takes all of 2 minutes. Well worth it.

Oh and while you have the tank off doing an air filter you might as well do the plugs

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
great looking bike! :bigthumb: love the "street fighter" look.
i know it's not local, but denniskirk.com ships the same day and you get your stuff within a day or two. they've got pretty good deals on a ton of helmets/gear, oil/air filters, brakes, etc for your bike. grab some pj1 blue label chain lube from them too, i've found it works great and doesnt make a mess.

regalzzz

Regalzzz
Sep 15, 2008
Wheaton
Real Name
Matt
Thanks guys!
It's a blast while it was together.
currently it Is in 1000 organized pieces.

Painted the exhaust with super high temp paint.
Inspecting and maintenance everything just to have a piece of mind going down the road.
Thank you guys for the referrals I'll check them out.
Only place I've been is DGY In downers grove.
Any helmet recommendations?

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
Thanks guys!

Inspecting and maintenance everything just to have a piece of mind going down the road.

Anything snell and dot approved.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Thanks guys!

Depends on how much you want to spend.
Arais are really nice, comfortable and lightweight, but they are $500+
Hjc helmets are decent and affordable. They have improved a lot. They are about $120-300.
I have a bilt helmet which is cycle gears brand. Heard they weren't bad and reasonably priced.
Heard icon doesn't hold up that well in crashes but they are pretty trendy.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
I like that bike a lot!

zephyr-red-01.jpg

I got this Bell Zephyr back when I worked at Murrays auto for ~$20. We were closing one of the stores or something like that - I don't exactly remember. But any way it's been a terrific inexpensive helmet. Last I checked you can get them at walmart for around $100 I wanna say. Only thing that bugged me at first was not having a latching buckle but once I got used to it it's no problem at all.

google image search "bell zephyr" haha

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Any helmet is better than no helmet. Buy something that's comfortable on you so you won't dread putting it on

Best advice ever.

As long as it is minimum DOT approved, and it fits you well and is comfortable, theres no need for a super expensive helmet. My current is a HJC, I'd buy another, and theyre typically well under $200. I'd stay away from Icon helmets. Theyre built cheap

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info