best local place for gears

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I have always received good customer service and quality work from Jerry and Corey Clayton at Clayton Racing in Elburn, IL (630-365-6737).

Jerry has performed the rear differential work to my cars, which he is meticulous with the measurements/fit n finish. I have not experienced gear whine, leaking differential, or other issues.

Dave

imbuggin

Addict
Mar 15, 2007
Thats what I'm talking about... $250-300

$600 is just a rip off. I'd try them myself before I'd pay that. :cool:

correct. The problem is that it isn't "a mustang" the job could be exactly the same, but once they see a higher dollar car they try to stick me. The problem is I can't ask my buddy who has a panoz what it cost him:D. I have to use all you guys to find out what stuff should cost.

Thanks again all

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
The Panoz has a T-Bird IRS w/stiffer bushings and is more of a PITA to work on than a the 99-04 Cobra IRS I'm told.

$600 parts and labor may sound high, but I would bet that if you got a lowball price for install they would back-off as soon as they saw the job.

imbuggin

Addict
Mar 15, 2007
The Panoz has a T-Bird IRS w/stiffer bushings and is more of a PITA to work on than a the 99-04 Cobra IRS I'm told.

$600 parts and labor may sound high, but I would bet that if you got a lowball price for install they would back-off as soon as they saw the job.

thanks for the info. The one firm quote at $600 has looked at the car and done work on it. Maybe you are correct and that is why the quote was high?

also petsnake where did you find that info?

Redman

Bad a$$ 2V
May 10, 2005
$200-$300 for a gear install only applies to solid rear axle mustangs where you don't have to yank the whole differential case from the car to install a set of gears.

Cobras require much more work than gt's to get the case out, do the gear swap, and re install.

Also the panoz has extra crossmembers and bracing in the back, as well as a horizontally opposed, pushrod-and-rocker activated coil-over shock setup which will make pulling the spindles to get the axles out, a big pain.

It's not "Just Like A Cobra" back there.

Probably an extra 2-3 hours total of labor involved in getting the rear differentail out and back into the car.

imbuggin

Addict
Mar 15, 2007
I remember that!

most of them are irish (hence the clover as a symbol). It is a red white and blue clover to represent the US.

Anyhow, yeah I have to get most of my info from Joey Mcbride the head mechanic. Him and his assistant joey know everything! The did just change much of the suspention in the last 2 years also fyi.

When you were at the factory was Don Panoz restoring all those MG's at the time? When I was there this summer he had a bunch of cool ones.

I also had Johan of JRD tuning do some work for me. He has done some SICK rides!

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
most of them are irish (hence the clover as a symbol). It is a red white and blue clover to represent the US.

Anyhow, yeah I have to get most of my info from Joey Mcbride the head mechanic. Him and his assistant joey know everything! The did just change much of the suspention in the last 2 years also fyi.

When you were at the factory was Don Panoz restoring all those MG's at the time? When I was there this summer he had a bunch of cool ones.

I also had Johan of JRD tuning do some work for me. He has done some SICK rides!

Yea, i was there. I still have the pics from it. Dan is an awesome guy!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info