Anyone ever get rotors zinc washed?

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
I just purchased a new set of rear Brembo rotors and would like to get them zinc washed so the hub portion doesn't rust and they'll look nice with my street wheels. Has anyone around here had this done?

A web search found about a dozen local plating companys, but I don't want to send these to someone that hasn't done it before or has a two month turn around time.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
PETSNKE said:
I just purchased a new set of rear Brembo rotors and would like to get them zinc washed so the hub portion doesn't rust and they'll look nice with my street wheels. Has anyone around here had this done?

A web search found about a dozen local plating companys, but I don't want to send these to someone that hasn't done it before or has a two month turn around time.

I got a set of brembo's that were zinc washed. I had them on for my very first track event @ Gingerman. You may remember:

PETSNKE said:

Anyways, the zinc peeled off on me that weekend. I think it would work on a street car, but it will not work on a track car.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
That's funny you can still bring up those old posts from 3 years ago, most boards archive that old stuff. I forgot to mention back then the guy still had his temporary plates on his car :lmao:
At least you can blame getting exposed to this addiction on your wife for telling you about that event, I have no excuse.

Mystic Terminator said:
I got a set of brembo's that were zinc washed. I had them on for my very first track event @ Gingerman. You may remember:

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/newreply.php3?do=newreply&p=13129

Anyways, the zinc peeled off on me that weekend. I think it would work on a street car, but it will not work on a track car.

I had a set of front rotors (which get much hotter w/o brake cooling at the time), that didn't peel. They did get those spider web cracks and I switch them out once I noticed the cracks getting close to the edge. Now that I think of it, the guy that sold them to me said they were cadium plated. I just am used to seeing the term "zinc washed" on all that slotted/cross drilled junk you see on ebay.

These rear rotors will be used for both street & track because I'm even too lazy to switch rear pads at the track. I still have the 10 year old stock rear rotors on the car now. After 34k miles and 25 track days, they still have a little left to them. I think the reason they lasted so long was because they were well seasoned with 20k street miles before the car ever saw a road course.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
Fast99Snake said:
25 track days and that many miles on a set of rotors
holy crap dude i think it may be time to get a new set

No shit that's why I bought a set. I just want to keep them looking purty.

I've never used anything more aggressive than a Hawk HP+ on the rears, but run blues with dedicated rotors for the track up front. I average about 8 track days for a set of front rotors.

jfranci3

Regular
May 13, 2005
Pete- Just gtet some high temp paint from the store. Mark the swept area on the rotor. Take a frozen pizza cardboard circle, and cut the middle out it so you can lay over the swept portion. Then with the remaining middle, cut it again so you can cover the mounting face. Spray the rotor, getting just a bit of paint over the swpet line. The pads will clean off that bit of paint w/o a problem and you won't have any rust.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info