Eaton blower from 03-04 cobra onto a 02 GT

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Its a good deal but you need alot more like people above mention not to mention the time its going to take ot put this thing on vs a complete new kit with ever nut and bolt and detailed instructions.

A Paxton or Vortech would be the way to go on your car over this stock stock Eaton. I looked into this swap as has thousands of other NA Mod owners have and the time and cost just isnt worth it for the HP you will gain.

If money is the concern and you can only afford to do pc by pc then I would go this route and grab whats needed when you can.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
01GTvert said:
Does KB sell just the lower manifold for a 2V? I thought they didnt offer any tuner kits.

Kenne Bell does not sell their blower manifolds separate.

Jim, there will be some difficulties that would have to be overcome with a project like this. First and foremost would be how the manifold will bolt to the 2 valve heads. There would have to be some sort of an adapter plates made to bolt onto the heads and allow the blower manifold bolt to that. The problem that the adapter plate method will likely cause is blower/hood clearance issues. Then of course you have to address the blower snout length issue. Instead of swapping to a whole new front drive setup you could possibly have the snout machined to be shorter and line up with the normal 2v accessories. Another option you could do is run the 03 Cobra lower balancer and pulley, which I think would have a really good chance of fitting with the 2v front engine cover, and then fabricate a custom tensioner/idler setup to run to the outer pulley. I could fab that custom tensioner/idler setup no problem. I am sure there will be other more minor issues but those are going to be project killers if not addressed correctly. At a glance everything else would be small potato's that can be worked with.

BTW, you plan on getting a GT or is this inquiry for a friend?

Rob

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Shit, i never even noticed or read the entire thread title where it said for a GT.I just assumed it was for a 4v n/a motor/ 2v GT I would say screw that and just get a Vortech from Kurgan and be done with it. 6 hours and your up and running :biggthump I say 6 hours cuz thats all it took me to do mine, but I did have to drop my gas tank a few days later to fix the float issue so 7 hours:)

EDITED...
I think I seen a page and specs on Kurgans lap top with a Vortech blown GT running someone in the range of 385 -420 RWHP with basic bolt ons. I dont remeber what it was forsure but it was impressive for a lightly modded 2VGT.

You should have whoever it is that wants a blower to seek advice from Kurgan 1st and buy a unit through him since he is a authorized Vortech dealer. He saved me some cash :biggthumpAnd by doing the install myself saved a shitload of cash (900-1300) that I was qwoted by some shops I found here and there.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
99 Stangbanger said:
Shit, i never even noticed or read the entire thread title where it said for a GT.I just assumed it was for a 4v n/a motor/ 2v GT I would say screw that and just get a Vortech from Kurgan and be done with it. :)

While Vortech is good it is still run of the mill. A project like this would be unique and if Jim, or whomever Jim is inquiring for, is hooked up good with a machinist and/or a waterjet cutter then he would be able to probably save money in the end. If he doesn't save he will likely break even or close to it. Close enough where it would come down to preference between a roots style blower and a centri. Sometimes the easy way isn't the most rewarding way. It all depends on how custom of a project a person desires.

BTW, Bob Kurgan isn't the only person on this site that is capable of giving great tech advice on blowers as well as many other things. :biggthump

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
rocket5979 said:
While Vortech is good it is still run of the mill. A project like this would be unique and if Jim, or whomever Jim is inquiring for, is hooked up good with a machinist and/or a waterjet cutter then he would be able to probably save money in the end. If he doesn't save he will likely break even or close to it. Close enough where it would come down to preference between a roots style blower and a centri. Sometimes the easy way isn't the most rewarding way. It all depends on how custom of a project a person desires.

BTW, Bob Kurgan isn't the only person on this site that is capable of giving great tech advice on blowers as well as many other things. :biggthump

Yea anything can be done with time, patients, money and the will to see it through (most fall short). If all that fab work to slap on a Roots or a Cent isnt a issue, then why not just go a step further and get a Turbo FTW:dunno:

As far as the Bob Kurgan thing goes, He has more knowledge then most of us put together imo. Anyone can sit here on a computer and talk TECH CRAP all day but the difference between him and the norm is that Bob actually knows what he is doing and talking about. You dont become a racing champion & ledgend over night and you dont do it without knowing what your doing and or talking about. Just pointing out the obvious here not saying others dont know how to help this guy here. Dont see alot of help on this topic cuz its been a topic started on every site known to Ford fans.

Yes, I aggree that the easy way is not always the best way. However, most follow steps of the proven way over the harder way to save on cost and time not to mention less stress.

Kurgan provides a good source of quality knowledge and being a site sponser with more contacts then a phone book is one way someone can get things answered & done in a timely manner at the best price imo.

Machine work alone will cost a small fourtune not to metion the set up and design time unless you know someone!

Oh yea, and when you get good service (like I did with Kurgan) you tell 1000 people, when you get bad service you tell 2000.

Kurgan FTW :biggthump

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
99 Stangbanger said:
Yea anything can be done with time, patients, money and the will to see it through (most fall short). If all that fab work to slap on a Roots or a Cent isnt a issue, then why not just go a step further and get a Turbo FTW:dunno:

As far as the Bob Kurgan thing goes, He has more knowledge then most of us put together imo. Anyone can sit here on a computer and talk TECH CRAP all day but the difference between him and the norm is that Bob actually knows what he is doing and talking about. You dont become a racing champion & ledgend over night and you dont do it without knowing what your doing and or talking about. Just pointing out the obvious here not saying others dont know how to help this guy here. Dont see alot of help on this topic cuz its been a topic started on every site known to Ford fans.

Yes, I aggree that the easy way is not always the best way. However, most follow steps of the proven way over the harder way to save on cost and time not to mention less stress.

Kurgan provides a good source of quality knowledge and being a site sponser with more contacts then a phone book is one way someone can get things answered & done in a timely manner at the best price imo.

Machine work alone will cost a small fourtune not to metion the set up and design time unless you know someone!

Oh yea, and when you get good service (like I did with Kurgan) you tell 1000 people, when you get bad service you tell 2000.

Kurgan FTW :biggthump

If this is a car that Jim may be getting and modding then he will have my experience to pull from which is quite broad, especially when it comes to custom one-off supercharger and turbo projects. I do custom design and metal fab work all the time for different custom parts. I also own my own performance business as well as being an SCT custom tuner too. I also have good contacts with a CNC machinist who owes me bigtime for some very detailed tech advice I had given him a while back. A project like this will be a fun one if it happens; too bad I am planning the Lincoln LS custom STS turbo project and will be doing that here soon. My guess is that Jim was asking for one of his other friends.

Though the majority of people on this site could not even install their own headers you would be surprised by some of us in here who have done some extremely complex builds that would make a custom blower project like this one to be childs play. :biggthump Don't doubt your fellow members just because they aren't a vendor here yet. Bob is a good guy and I am sure he is quite knowledgeable in many things but there is more than one resource of knowledge on this and many other sites.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Bullitt-1469- said:
Not to mention if you get a intake manifold to work you have to fab up a bridge pulley system and a place to put the alternator. Even if you good and fabrication the price and time wouldn't out weight just buying a KB kit for 5k

What you say is probably more a matter of opinion than anything else. Some projects are tackled not just because a person wants max power for the cheapest price. There is a fella that is a member on this site that installed a Cobra Eaton supercharger onto his V6 Mustang if I remember correctly. It all matters about personal preference and ability. To some people a project like this would be well worth it, to others it would totally not. If it were my car and I wanted to fab a custom power adder on there then I would do a turbo, but that is just me.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
99 Stangbanger said:
I dont want to beat this thread with my lack of experience but rather just keep it on track.

I wish you all the best of luck and hope you make it work as planned. Sounds like you have the knowledge and resources to make it happen :biggthump

It isn't my project. All I was saying is that if it was my project that it would be doable and still be able to remain somewhat cost effective. Doing a project like this is like what kind of exhaust note a person prefers. It all comes down to different strokes for different folks.

Jim, who's car is this going on? You didn't go out and buy a GT did you?

slow4.6

TCG Elite Member
Mar 20, 2006
i tried to make this work before, it would just take to much time and money.to have adapter plates machined.and a front cover and all the pulleys and tenshioners. you would just be better of buying a kb 2v kit, or your best bet would be to find a used saleen blower setup, you can find them for about $2,000.

if your gonna spend the money just put heads and cams on the car. you will not be disappointed. you could make about 300 to the wheels on a setup like that. thats good enough to make a mid 12 pass if not low 12 with other bolt on parts

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info