Need Help!!! bad exhaust leak (pics)

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
THe check engine light is on b/c bank 2 is running too lean cuz of a bad exhaust leak between the manifold and the X pipe on the driver's side. The last person to work on it shoved a flat gasket inbetween the 2 pieces which was all kinds of fucked up and coned out when i pulled it out. It's not supposed to need a gasket, but because of the way the studs are designed i can't thread the nut all the way down, so it leaks. I don't even know how this thing is supposed to seal based on the goofy ass design. Any suggestions? Am i just gonna have to take the studs out and put some in that are fully threaded? I tried taking them out and they wouldn't budge.

fuckincar003.jpg

fuckincar001.jpg

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
on my ol 95 gt i have longtubes that were a bit warped and the xpipe would not line up at all. i got about 3 different types of jacks to either jack up the motor, header or xipe and used a goop from the autostore that is like a cement. it is made for exhausts. some guy in the shop said he swore by that stuff and i tried everything so i use it and it stopped all the leaks. it wont cover up a gap from the top pic but if the cone matches up to the ball joint pretty decently and still leaks, id recommend trying some out. i went through all types of different gaskets and everything and nothing worked.....only the cement for me.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
hazmat404 said:
on my ol 95 gt i have longtubes that were a bit warped and the xpipe would not line up at all. i got about 3 different types of jacks to either jack up the motor, header or xipe and used a goop from the autostore that is like a cement. it is made for exhausts. some guy in the shop said he swore by that stuff and i tried everything so i use it and it stopped all the leaks. it wont cover up a gap from the top pic but if the cone matches up to the ball joint pretty decently and still leaks, id recommend trying some out. i went through all types of different gaskets and everything and nothing worked.....only the cement for me.

Interesting. The 2nd pic shows what it's like when tightened all the way down. I might want to try that cement. I was gonna take out the studs and just put a bolt with a nut and washer so i could tighten it all the way down, but they won't budge. I have no fuckin clue why the studs wouldnt b threaded all the way down, if they were i could get it to seal just fine. Not even sure how ford got this shit to seal in the first place. Idiots. I'm gonna go to the parts store and pick some of that stuff up. THanks for the help

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
hazmat404 said:

my 94 is like this, the x-pipe and catback fit against eachother without overlaping so it leaks. i'll have to find this cement. who make this, permatex?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info