IS a Strut tower brace worth it?!

TwoTonedRoush

Oct 6, 2006
Has any one bought one of these things and actually think its worth it?!!? The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to buy a JLT intake and one won't fit on the car with that intake, but they also make the same intake but in carbon fiber which enables you to fit most strut tower braces. Jumping from the steel CAI to the carbon fiber one is pricey plus buying the brace. Let me know thanks.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
it felt like it tightened up the front end of the car a little bit
no radical change in the feel of the car,
I have a k and n fipk for sale in the for sale section along with the MM strut tower brace, they fit well with each other.
the k and n intake is only second to the jlt, but there isnt more than 1 or 2 horsepower difference between the two

Dewalt03cobra

Dewalt03Cobra
Dec 3, 2004
Jpatte said:
I can't speak for a coupe, but you need one if you have a vert. The convertible shake has reduced in half after I install the bar.

+1

I also haven't rode in a coupe to see how they are, but my vert. changed completely with the brace.

I currently have:

Eibach Pro lowering springs :)
Front stut tower brace :biggthump
Rear strut tower brace :dunno: :(
4 point role bar :)
Kenny Brown sub frames, and jacking rails w/ the matrix brace :)
10 way adjustable rear shock :biggthump

And if I had to pick the one mod that made the biggest differance stiffening up the car it would be the front MM strut tower brace.

Dewalt03cobra

Dewalt03Cobra
Dec 3, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
if you dont have coil-overs, then there are no spring loads in the strut tower...

Incorrect, Spring load transfers through the entire front frame and unibody stucture. It's just that the primary load of the spring on the structure varies in location, giving very differant ride characteristics and loading. But in the end the entire tower and frame structure contributes to the overall load handling ability and rigidity of the front end ( which is really what we were talking about in the post ) no matter were the primary spring load is.

Forgot to mention:

And in either setup there is always loading from the Strut. Which is continually trying to limit Suspension Travel. Which also causes loads.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
wrong. spring loads on a car without coilovers are borne entirely by the k-member.

all the struts do is dampen the oscillation of the spring. thats all, nothing more.

Dewalt03cobra said:
Incorrect, Spring load transfers through the entire front frame and unibody stucture. It's just that the primary load of the spring on the structure varies in location, giving very differant ride characteristics and loading. But in the end the entire tower and frame structure contributes to the overall load handling ability and rigidity of the front end ( which is really what we were talking about in the post ) no matter were the primary spring load is.

Forgot to mention:

And in either setup there is always loading from the Strut. Which is continually trying to limit Suspension Travel. Which also causes loads.

KrznSVT

Feb 9, 2006
Please help me understand why this would help. I was told it made no difference that is why they removed them in 98? Why would there be any difference between a vert and a coupe? The only difference is the roof and I dont think this would help support that at all. Not to be a jerk just trying to understand. I just bought a 98 vert with high miles and now debating if I should get one or not.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
the struts induce higher loads than the spring from my understanding, but I'm not 100 percent on that
vince posted the long debate from corner carvers which makes for an interesting read if you haven't before
Basically in theory the stb actually keeps the strut towers from moving apart from each other in cornering, maintaining alignment which is determined by the movement of the struts on a macpherson car
the other arguement is that it also helps distribute loads from bumps. This is debatable because the strut towers are one of the stronger points on the unibody
I honestly don't know if it made a difference, I'm still rocking stock suspension and I could barely tell a difference when I put on my MM full length subframe connectors, it just felt a little better over bumps imo, I though turn in was slightly better with the stb, but that could just be my mind playing with me because if I spent money the car MUST be better right?
It couldn't really hurt imo, and the verts need all the damn bracing they can get

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
KrznSVT said:
Please help me understand why this would help. I was told it made no difference that is why they removed them in 98? Why would there be any difference between a vert and a coupe? The only difference is the roof and I dont think this would help support that at all. Not to be a jerk just trying to understand. I just bought a 98 vert with high miles and now debating if I should get one or not.
from my understanding ford did it for cost cutting?

CobraCommander

Rice & Beans
Mar 27, 2005
Strut braces are for chassis stiffening to reduce bodyflex under hard cornering... If you dont drive to use it, you probably will not notice a difference...

However, I have learned that front and rear tower braces do give an overall stiffer feeling and reduce the Mustang-creaky noises (lol)...

When accompanied by full-length subframes, a Cobra will handle very nicely if you intend to throw it around like you mean it... Its a nice dressup item, but eh... dont be concerned with it unless you really like cornering...

Another fact about strut braces have to do with front-fender colisions... If someone nails your front fender, the brace will transfer the force to the other side of the car as well and possibly total it out...

Racerx66

BiG MeMBeR
Apr 10, 2004
KrznSVT said:

That roof makes a hell of a difference when it comes to stiffening the overall chassis. Go for a ride in a vert and a coupe, the difference in stiffness is very noticeable.

It's bad enough these cars have a unibody, now take away the roof and you really get chassis flex.

I think anytime you "tie up" through chassis bracing, it can only help.

KrznSVT

Feb 9, 2006
Racerx66 said:
That roof makes a hell of a difference when it comes to stiffening the overall chassis. Go for a ride in a vert and a coupe, the difference in stiffness is very noticeable.

It's bad enough these cars have a unibody, now take away the roof and you really get chassis flex.

I think anytime you "tie up" through chassis bracing, it can only help.

I understand the difference between a vert and a coupe I own them both, My coupe handels way better. So I understand that the vert will not be as tight because of the no top. But please explain why the STB will help not having a top, on a vert.

Racerx66

BiG MeMBeR
Apr 10, 2004
I'm certainly no expert, but considering the upper strut mounts are some of the weakest points on your vehicle, adding a brace between them is a great way to solidify your suspension.

You said it yourself, your coupe handles better. I would attribute that to the chassis having another brace (in this case your roof). With that said, on a
'vert, a STB is just another way to brace the chassis. (my 2c, of course :) )

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info