anti-seize/torque on wheels

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
You should always use a dab of anti-seize on your wheel studs. Not only will it help get a true and even torque on the studs, they will be much easier to remove, and will help keep the threads in good condition. As long as they are properly torqued, they will not come loose accidentally.

Mustang68

Jul 30, 2006
Aron said:
You should always use a dab of anti-seize on your wheel studs. Not only will it help get a true and even torque on the studs, they will be much easier to remove, and will help keep the threads in good condition. As long as they are properly torqued, they will not come loose accidentally.

agreed... i always use it on mine as well... yet to ever have a nut come off.. or ever get lose even when i did it by hand.. now i just zip em up with my impact that has a variable torque setting on the back.. most the shops i worked in had it mandatory to use the anti-seize on the threads when ever we did anything with the tires....

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
chevyboy69 said:
antiseize should not be used on wheel studs at all antisieze on the studs makes it easier for lugs to back off

a small ammount can be used on the hubs

I have been turning wrenches on my cars for over 15 years, and have always used a small dab of anti-seize with no problems. In fact, all my friends that work on their own cars, including auto techs, use anti-seize.

Like I said, as long as the lugs are torqued down properly, they will not come loose unless there's a problem, and the anti-seize helps get an accurate torque rating.

Mustang68

Jul 30, 2006
Aron said:
I have been turning wrenches on my cars for over 15 years, and have always used a small dab of anti-seize with no problems. In fact, all my friends that work on their own cars, including auto techs, use anti-seize.

Like I said, as long as the lugs are torqued down properly, they will not come loose unless there's a problem, and the anti-seize helps get an accurate torque rating.

agreed... even when ive worked on older cars that had rusted nuts and rusted studs ive used it.. never have had problems with them backing off.. and usually once the studs and nuts started rusting even with the anti-seize i was still fighting to get the nuts off the next time i went to take the tires off on my brothers corsica.. screamed like banchies with ever turn when i did it by hand...

slow83

hulk smash!
Nov 5, 2006
Aron said:

if you read any text book or listen to any manufacturer recomedations they say not to put antiseize on the studs at all because it is not a safe practice yes it makes it easier for the lugs to come off but is not a recomended practice i am an auto tech and i do not put antiseize on wheel studs neither do any of the techs at the shop i work at

Mustang68

Jul 30, 2006
chevyboy69 said:
if you read any text book or listen to any manufacturer recomedations they say not to put antiseize on the studs at all because it is not a safe practice yes it makes it easier for the lugs to come off but is not a recomended practice i am an auto tech and i do not put antiseize on wheel studs neither do any of the techs at the shop i work at

ya know all though my automotive training.. (that includes all them books i had to read to pass the tests) i never once read anything in there where it said "not" to put anti-seize there... nor have i seen any manufacturer say not to either.. and as i stated earlier... most the shops i worked in had it mandatory to use the anti-seize on the threads when ever we did anything with the tires.... that includes the dealership i worked for..

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
throw the locking lugs in the garbage. they only inconvenience you, not thieves.

the torque spec (105 lb/ft) for the lug nuts is a dry specification.

the never-sieze goes on the mounting face of the wheel and on the rotor so you can get the wheel and rotor apart when you have to.

ShelbyGuy said:
throw the locking lugs in the garbage. they only inconvenience you, not thieves.

the torque spec (105 lb/ft) for the lug nuts is a dry specification.

the never-sieze goes on the mounting face of the wheel and on the rotor so you can get the wheel and rotor apart when you have to.

Sorry can't do that! I park outside, and in my neighborhood i wouldn't trust my chrome rims to not have locks on them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info