Subframe ?'s

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
I'm looking to have MM Full Length Sub Frames welded on my cobra. Does the car have to be on a drive on lift with the suspension loaded or can it be done on a 4 point lift with the suspension unloaded??

Also Im ordering the bare metal subframes and want to coat them with something to prevent rust after they are welded on. What should I use to do this? Just like normal black spray paint or something special?

thanks for the input

Mike

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
i had mine done on a 4 point lift. shouldnt make that much of a difference. the guys that did it have done tons of them like that. most shops i contacted to have it done said they dont use drive up lifts. not many shops have them.

i bought mine uncoated as well. easier for them to weld. any type of rust inhibiting paint is fine.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
When i had mine done Jeff crawled under and tacked them on the floor, then finished while on a lift. It can fuck it up if u do it on a lift i have heard. Before they were put on i taped off near where the welds would be and painted them, and then after u might want to get under there, tape some shit off, and finish painting where they welded it.

blownstang

Regular
Aug 21, 2006
NW Chicago
Speed Inc. did mine on a 4 point lift. Now everytime I launch the car, or accelerate coming out of a right turn, there is a banging noise. Sort of like wheel hop, but it's not. Car never did it before the subframes. When I was leaving the shop after the install I heard it right away. The next time I was there I took one of the guys for a ride and he said it does not sound like something subframes would cause.

If the shop does not have a drive on lift, have them load the chasis on jack stands, tack weld the subframes, and then finish them up on a 4 point lift. That's how ModularPowerhouse out of Georgia does theirs.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
The suspension must be loaded when welding on subframes. This is the only way to make sure they are holding the chassis in it's normal riding position. If the car is on a 2 post lift, you will get chassis twist, and that's the position that the subframes are going to hold the chassis in.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I would recommend getting the painted ones, not bare metal. The hidden areas are already coated for you then.
Cleaning the paint off prior to welding is not a big deal.
After they are welded, just minor touch up is required to protect the subs.

Get them installed with the car's suspension loaded. It can either be on a drive on lift or jackstands placed near the wheels to simulate a loaded condition for the suspension.

BTW, we can do it for you.

Contact either Lyle or myself for a price and time frame if you're interested.

Dan

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
94' cobra 351 said:
SOMEBODY WITH SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, did you notice a difference in handling/traction on launching? is it a big improvement? slight? give me some feedback here!!

Thanks. :)

Ryan

i noticed a difference in handling right away. the car felt alot stiffer when turning and when going over bumps.

i had them welded on a 4pt lift. hope everything should be ok :dunno:

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
thanks for the input everyone, i thought that the suspension had to be loaded for the proper amount of chassi flex in normal driving conditions. I'll make sure to get the painted ones and have them at least tacked on while the suspension is loaded! Just trying to get ready for MSC!! hehe

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
TaintedSnake01 said:
thanks for the input everyone, i thought that the suspension had to be loaded for the proper amount of chassi flex in normal driving conditions. I'll make sure to get the painted ones and have them at least tacked on while the suspension is loaded! Just trying to get ready for MSC!! hehe

14 second cars don't need subframe connectors Mike :p

Dewalt03cobra

Dewalt03Cobra
Dec 3, 2004
I put all four tires up on two cement blocks at each corner making sure the suspension was fully loaded by compressing the springs then setting the car down on the cement blocks. Then releasing the springs and letting the car rise to its normal ride height. Then I welded in Kenny Brown subframes, crossbraces and jacking rails myself.

I don't know if all that made any differance but I sure didn't hurt. The car is much stiffer, and I haven't heard a single sqeak come from them.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
94' cobra 351 said:
SOMEBODY WITH SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, did you notice a difference in handling/traction on launching? is it a big improvement? slight? give me some feedback here!!

Thanks. :)

Ryan

I noticed a big difference overall with mine. The car felt a lot more "tighter" and it just improved everything. Then again, I have a T/A.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
TaintedSnake01 said:
Very funny Bowflex! Take the spray off and grab a lane with me this summer ;) we will see who the slower car is then ;) haha j/k bro. Cant wait to get the car out of the garage and go cruising with you again very soon.

Get a lane bitch :p jk I know dude im gettin excited as hell, i just cleaned the hell out of mine and its sittin in the garage, parked in the middle like a King. My moms car gets to sit out for tonight lol. I should have it out tomorrow night as long as it rains real good tonight. We will all be cruisin again in no time.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Dana said:
I would recommend getting the painted ones, not bare metal. The hidden areas are already coated for you then.
Cleaning the paint off prior to welding is not a big deal.
After they are welded, just minor touch up is required to protect the subs.

Get them installed with the car's suspension loaded. It can either be on a drive on lift or jackstands placed near the wheels to simulate a loaded condition for the suspension.

BTW, we can do it for you.

Contact either Lyle or myself for a price and time frame if you're interested.

Dan

Would you be interested in welding mine on my Z in a couple months after I get my engine done? I have the SLP "double diamond" style.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Aron said:
Would you be interested in welding mine on my Z in a couple months after I get my engine done? I have the SLP "double diamond" style.

Sure.

After the car is finished, stop by and we'll give you a price if you want.

I'll PM you the standard price we charge for MM Subs on a Cobra and maybe you can guestimate your cost.

Later,
Dan

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
Dana said:
Sure.

After the car is finished, stop by and we'll give you a price if you want.

I'll PM you the standard price we charge for MM Subs on a Cobra and maybe you can guestimate your cost.

Later,
Dan

Dan can you shoot me a price on install of my MM full lengths?? I can give lyle a call too, either way they need to get done and I trust you guys! Thanks

Mike

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info