which clutch

UWISHU1

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2004
Hanover Park
OK it seems like my SPEC 2 clutch with the light weight option is NOT doing it's job on the top end. I know a few of you guys are make some serious HP and TQ. So I'm curious in looking for a GOOD and AFFORDABLE clutch. I guess I need a clutch that will hold 600rwhp and at least 500rwtq in a 3600lb car running a slick (next year) :D
your thoughts, help, and suggestions are appreciated.

02mingreyconv

Regular
Jan 31, 2005
UWISHU1 said:
OK it seems like my SPEC 2 clutch with the light weight option is NOT doing it's job on the top end. I know a few of you guys are make some serious HP and TQ. So I'm curious in looking for a GOOD and AFFORDABLE clutch. I guess I need a clutch that will hold 600rwhp and at least 500rwtq in a 3600lb car running a slick (next year) :D

Angel, I don't think you can get GOOD and AFFORDABLE. If you want the good stuff then you will have to be prepared to shell out the dough for it.

I am running the DFX with my KB. It hols fine at my power level (about 450 tq).

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
im sure angel appreciates all the suggestions given here, but i think he is looking for more "factual" experiences other then what you may have heard. A new clutch, for this amount of power, is not going to be cheap and im sure he wants to do it only 1 more time.

If anyone has any real world experience on a clutch that is smooth on the street, yet can hold up to 500rwhp+, please make a suggestion..

thanks

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
10th03cobra said:
I run a DFX and it chatters a bit on the street but holds the power like a Mo Fo!!! I got like 2k on it with no problems and it holds my KB Cobra pretty well.

i think the DFX's are a hot or cold.... you are a prime example of someone who has had good luck with one.. i have a cobra customer with a kb2.2 and some other mods that has gone 10.30s with a DFX, but every other pass down the track, it slips..

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
i think the DFX's are a hot or cold.... you are a prime example of someone who has had good luck with one.. i have a cobra customer with a kb2.2 and some other mods that has gone 10.30s with a DFX, but every other pass down the track, it slips..

I have gone a best of 11.20's and hot lapping it with no problems. I think I ran 8 non-stop back to back runs at MSC this year with no issues. My 1st to 2nd shift packs a very strong punch and never slips to date.

Hopefully it will stay this way.

Bullitt-1469-

Regular
Jun 11, 2005
im sure angel appreciates all the suggestions given here, but i think he is looking for more "factual" experiences other then what you may have heard. A new clutch, for this amount of power, is not going to be cheap and im sure he wants to do it only 1 more time.

If anyone has any real world experience on a clutch that is smooth on the street, yet can hold up to 500rwhp+, please make a suggestion..

thanks
Thats great hi hp isnt cheap so pick something and try it for urself, thats a stupid comment since the reasons for failure have way too many varibles, and to a figure out what clutch works well, for what a 600rwhp car that runs 11s has differnt load on it then a 600rwhp car running 9s so maybe so should really narrow down what you want to know...

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
Cobra_DJ99 said:
my power level is at low to mid 300's right now and if it were up to you guys would you go with a duel friction, dfx, spec2 or spec3? im also looking for a new clutch. btw my car is a daily driver and am willing to sacrifice SOME drivability

i have around the same power and i went with the DFX i personally wouldnt go with a spec clutch alot of people i know change them out...cant say why other than they said they didnt like it so i guess its a too each there own

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Bullitt-1469- said:
Thats great hi hp isnt cheap so pick something and try it for urself, thats a stupid comment since the reasons for failure have way too many varibles, and to a figure out what clutch works well, for what a 600rwhp car that runs 11s has differnt load on it then a 600rwhp car running 9s so maybe so should really narrow down what you want to know...

im sorry, whats a stupid comment?

That angel is asking for some real world experience? When you go to buy a new car, do you just wing it or do you ask for feedback from actual owners? I, myself, try to get some good feedback before making a large purchase.. Im sorry you dont agree, but if you are not adding anything positive and useful to this thread, please dont post.

thanks
bob

UWISHU1

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2004
Hanover Park
I've looked into McLeod twin disc set up and they are about $1000 :eek:

Then I've heard a couple of you guys here mention you were running a DFX setup.

So I was wondering what you high HP/TQ (500+) Cobra's here were running.

After I spend some time going over my timeslips trying to figure out why my turd wasn't trapping more in the 1/4 I sat down with the Great Bob and have narrowed it down to a slipping clutch.
Cuz how is it possible that I trap 99mph in the 1/8 then slow to 119mph in the 1/4 when it should be in the 125+ speed.
I had intially thought it was my belt slipping cuz I glance down once and noticed my tach gauge bouncing back and forth between 5K and 7K.

If GNXS or WICKED could chime in that would be cool
Thanks guys

Bullitt-1469-

Regular
Jun 11, 2005
What im saying is finding a setup that works for you car is not going to be exactly the same as anyone elses, driving style has alot to do with it ive seen people burn out 600tq rated clutchs in 500 miles. I tried 6 different clutch setups in my gsx's to get it right, its going to cost some dough, trial and error is the only way, but i guess you can get a good opinion to start with

Bullitt-1469-

Regular
Jun 11, 2005
UWISHU1 said:
If your looking for some REAL experiance with a wide varity of setups go to modularfords, no offence to anyone but theres not alot of people that build there own motors, cars, fuel system ect, theres alot more proven results there

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
angel.

you know that spec2 is good for about 500lb tq in a 3200lbs car, right?? I could always detune the car so it doesnt slip :)

and just think, you wanted MORE HP... LOL..

I can tell you 1 thing for sure, with as much as you drive the car, i would even CONSIDER a spec 3 or 3+.. i have dynoed a lot of cars and I HATE pulling cars on the dyno with those clutches.. they chatter so bad and have no "in between" feeling.. They are either ON or OFF..

UWISHU1

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2004
Hanover Park
angel.

you know that spec2 is good for about 500lb tq in a 3200lbs car, right?? I could always detune the car so it doesnt slip :)

and just think, you wanted MORE HP... LOL..

I can tell you 1 thing for sure, with as much as you drive the car, i would even CONSIDER a spec 3 or 3+.. i have dynoed a lot of cars and I HATE pulling cars on the dyno with those clutches.. they chatter so bad and have no "in between" feeling.. They are either ON or OFF..

DETUNE :eek:

I was ready for a smaller pulley shooting for 20psi :headbang:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I have a DFX with an aluminum flywheel.
I beat the crap out of it at MSC last month and it held up quite well.

1.5x 60ft times and 10 inch slicks.

It doesn't chatter and drivability is fine most of the time.
I honestly believe that the reason for it not chattering is that I did allow for a break-in period, contrary to what some recommend. It was only about 200 miles, but it gave all the pieces time to get to know each other.
Additionally, proper adjustment will go a long way in preventing chatter and excessive wear.
But, these clutches are not designed to slip, so don't kid yourself, they can be grabby.
You can also learn to drive around the chatter with some practice.

I would recommend it for high HP cars.

The only REAL solution for these cars is a dual disk clutch, but I really don't think anyone has gotten it all together yet.

Dana

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
UWISHU1 said:
If GNXS or WICKED could chime in that would be cool
Thanks guys

Sorry I didn't see this sooner...

Both Larry and I run a DFX setup... only difference is that I went with a steel flywheel and have over 100 hp less than he does.

Mine does chatter sometimes, but only when I don't give it enough rpms.

So far it seems to be holding up pretty well... I have about 4k miles on it and 25 passes, never had any slip. Been 60 footing in the 1.5s on ET streets lately. It is a bit ON and OFF, but you get used to it.

I had a centerforce dual puck setup before this and I destroyed it in 2k miles and 15 passes. :mad:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info