exhaust smoke

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
a head gasket going bad would cause your engine to overheat, not blow smoke out the pipes. Now, bad valve seals, a intake manifold leaking coolant internally, or just the cats getting cristened could cause smoke. The air outside is getting colder and denser, causing cars to have the winter look already.

sonic02gt

Kona Blue shelby
Sep 18, 2005
cyac5l8trfcar said:
a head gasket going bad would cause your engine to overheat, not blow smoke out the pipes. Now, bad valve seals, a intake manifold leaking coolant internally, or just the cats getting cristened could cause smoke. The air outside is getting colder and denser, causing cars to have the winter look already.
seems like you really know your stuff thanks man i think its better now i had a mrt hi flow h pipe put on should the smoke smell ? i think it was like you said just christening the cats :biggthump

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
The car may be running real rich. Also, didn't the 99-02 Mustang GTs have a plastic / garbage intake? This may be the culprit...

Unless there is a real noticable about of smoke, I would not be to concerned. But then again, I have come to accept that Dodge/Ford/GMs have rattles, crickets, little ticking, squeaky pulleys, exhaust smells and some smoke.

Dave

sonic02gt

Kona Blue shelby
Sep 18, 2005
i recharged the intake then broke one of the ends on the mass air. I installed a 2000 mass air. My year 2002 has an extra wire air tempuature sensor. I dont know if my mass air is adding too much fuel to compsiesate or something or maybe my tuner is too rich ? i smelled it today exhaust smells funny

sonic02gt

Kona Blue shelby
Sep 18, 2005
Blood on Blood said:
Check out the physical intake on the motor itself, not the CAI. The physical intake is plastic. See if it is cracked and leaking anti-freeze. Is there any antifreeze smell?
nope no smell at all i didnt know i was suppose to run preminum fuel only i have been running regular fuel im going to get a fuel cleaner and not use 87 again i think it be running rich :headbang:

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
ShelbyGuy said:
a bad head gasket makes tons of white smoke, usually out just one tailpipe.

black smoke == fuel
blue smoke == oil
white smoke == antifreeze

typically cylinder pressure forces air into the cooling system, not coolant into the cylinder.

Check the oil and see if you have a milkshake. i.e. is your oil a white/yellow color? that indicates intermix with the oil and coolant and can be a good starting point for what to do next.

Redman

Bad a$$ 2V
May 10, 2005
sonic02gt said:
i recharged the intake then broke one of the ends on the mass air. I installed a 2000 mass air. My year 2002 has an extra wire air tempuature sensor. I dont know if my mass air is adding too much fuel to compsiesate or something or maybe my tuner is too rich ? i smelled it today exhaust smells funny

That extra wire is your air intake temperature sensor. It got incorporated into the maf in 02. You need to take care of that asap. Your motor is just guessing the air intake temp so it is adding fuel and pulling timing to keep things safe.

If you need a new sensor pm me. $88.00 for brand new and I can get my hands on a used one for you for $20

Also the 02 meter is calibrated for 21lb injectors(pink) and the 00 is calibrated to the 19 lb injectors(orangeish).

I was still typing this when you posted your previous response. Glad it's all worked out.

sonic02gt

Kona Blue shelby
Sep 18, 2005
Redman said:
That extra wire is your air intake temperature sensor. It got incorporated into the maf in 02. You need to take care of that asap. Your motor is just guessing the air intake temp so it is adding fuel and pulling timing to keep things safe.

If you need a new sensor pm me. $88.00 for brand new and I can get my hands on a used one for you for $20

Also the 02 meter is calibrated for 21lb injectors(pink) and the 00 is calibrated to the 19 lb injectors(orangeish).

I was still typing this when you posted your previous response. Glad it's all worked out.
wow thats some helpful info i love this site theres bound too be a guy that knows about your mustang :headbang: i put back on a 2002 mass air it set me back 250 with a 75 dollar core is my air temp sensor ok now ill pm you buddy :biggthump

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info