Building a motor??? Need input

pipeliner

Regular
Jun 10, 2005
I am going to sell my cobra and am going a differnt direction. Alls I need is a new motor. I have some rules thou.

Must be a production Ford block. No world/dart blocks ect
I can not exceed 6.0l (shouldnt be a problem) and car must weigh 2500 pounds.

I need the lightest motor with the most power. I can use any block from a mustang or capri.

I also need to make 4-500 horses and have a torque curve thats flat.
Im also going to stay with a carb

If anyone has any insight or might know of any "specail production blocks" it would be great.

pipeliner

Regular
Jun 10, 2005
whistlen93 said:
that is one hell of a diet for a fox body what classes? thats a ton of hp/weight

The car wont actually make it to 2500. It would be nice but not possible even if I had a notch. I still have to run a full interior. The only thing allowed is to remove the rear seat and install racing seats.

Im hoping to hit about 2900 pounds. Im at 3100 in Street prepared trim. I already can get 275s all around and am currently talking to John at CCW to get 315s on the front.

REN#4106

TCG Elite Member
Nov 8, 2005
The R-Block would be an option....It is a production Ford Motorsport block.....BUT the R302 block is a siamesed bore......so I would be concerned of cooling if this is a road race car.......Ford Motorsport is coming out with the BOSS 302 block that is also 4bolt main as the R302 and is also Siamesed bore block but it has drilled coolant crossover holes and would cool motor better...........but you can also try and find a old A4 block that was non-siamese bore and also had 4bolt mains........hope this helps some

how much power you looking to make????

pipeliner

Regular
Jun 10, 2005
REN#4106 said:
The R-Block would be an option....It is a production Ford Motorsport block.....BUT the R302 block is a siamesed bore......so I would be concerned of cooling if this is a road race car.......Ford Motorsport is coming out with the BOSS 302 block that is also 4bolt main as the R302 and is also Siamesed bore block but it has drilled coolant crossover holes and would cool motor better...........but you can also try and find a old A4 block that was non-siamese bore and also had 4bolt mains........hope this helps some

how much power you looking to make????

Good info. Im looking between 400-500 NA on Racing gas

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
I made about 470 with edelbrock heads (60cc) and victor jr. manifold and an TRW roller cam with 266 intake duration and 272 exhaust and 10.5:1 TRW pistons. I could run it on pump gas. If I was building that motor for road racing I would really reduce the rotating mass of the engine by using lightweight rods and having the crank zero balanced with a zero balanced flywheel. Light weight pistons with a small skirt etc. This allows your engine to rev faster and and slow down faster which is key in road racing. Also I would really control the oil using restricters and getting a windage tray for the crank. With roller rockers you really dont need as much oil up top as you would with stamped rockers. Also an oil cooler if your going to run the siamese block. The 302 is a really cheap motor to build unlike the 4.6DOHC have fun.

pipeliner

Regular
Jun 10, 2005
REN#4106 said:
will it be used for road racing I assume??? Cooling is key in that situation...

at that level of power and being N/A you could get away with stock block depending on your funds....

Yes but it will also be in SCCA SM . SO 60 second runs on and off the throttle. Colling shouldnt be to big of a problem. I already planed for a oil cooler, bigger rad, and a nice water pump.

pipeliner

Regular
Jun 10, 2005
Snowman said:
I made about 470 with edelbrock heads (60cc) and victor jr. manifold and an TRW roller cam with 266 intake duration and 272 exhaust and 10.5:1 TRW pistons. I could run it on pump gas. If I was building that motor for road racing I would really reduce the rotating mass of the engine by using lightweight rods and having the crank zero balanced with a zero balanced flywheel. Light weight pistons with a small skirt etc. This allows your engine to rev faster and and slow down faster which is key in road racing. Also I would really control the oil using restricters and getting a windage tray for the crank. With roller rockers you really dont need as much oil up top as you would with stamped rockers. Also an oil cooler if your going to run the siamese block. The 302 is a really cheap motor to build unlike the 4.6DOHC have fun.

How was the low end grunt with that setup? Like I said it needs to be just as stong at 1500 RPMS then it is at 7000

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
6.0 Liters is ~366 CuIn.

This gives you room for either a 302 based 347 stroker or Better Yet go with a Slightly Bored 351, it will usually live longer than a 347 all things being equal.

Maybe Use a Gen 1 Lightning Motor (5.8 L GT 40) and throw some AFR 185's on it with a Cam. Want Torque? You're Gonna need to weld Plates in the Torqueboxes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info