Brake question on IRS swap

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
I have a question for y'all and hopefully someone can answer this.
i've been looking at my irs sitting in my garage and i put the stock solid rotors from my gt on it and was looking at the caliper,
im not gonna get the irs on the car until tommorow afternoon
it doesnt look like my stock calipers are going to fit around the rotors cuz of the way the bracket is,
will i need to swap brakes with joe or will we be able to keep our own brakes.
either way is fine i guess even tho i'd love to have the vented brakes
joe doesnt even really need the vented brakes cuz the solid rotors are lighter and are actually better for dragging(joe u silly dragger :joke: )
so anyways his mechanic said his brakes fit fine on my solid, which i thought he wud've had to buy some bracket or adapter to make fit, do i have to buy one of these(i dont know if joe bought one or not :dunno: )
please post up if u have any knowledge regarding this as i am planning on getting the car finished up tommorow nite once i get the irs bolted in and get my driveshaft back from joe's mechanic.

LSX7

ridng dirty
Oct 9, 2005
how does it make sense that solid ones weigh less or did i just read that wrong well his shit works so yours should too..... and ummmm ok no read it again how are solid ones lighter???? and vented are better thats why he wants to keep them???? oh man this is too funny you two are crazy wooooo :alcoholic

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
You will need to switch rotors with Joe. Cobra and GT rear calipers are the same. The issue is the difference in the brake mounts (which you can't swap). The diameter of the Cobra rotors is an inch (I think) larger than the GT rotors.

Also, you might want to swap brake pads, too. The Cobra rotors are thicker than the GT rotors so the pads are different (Cobra pads are thinner than GT pads). This sounds confusing but it isn't. I wish I could draw a picture.

B

Boost12

Why would I have to switch brake parts.. My brakes fit fine on the solid axle. And im not giving up my cobra brakes in the back. Its bad enoufgh that I gave my IRS setup wich is worth twice as much as a solid axle for no charge we simply traded. My brakes work fine on the solid so why would I give up my vented rotors for GT stuff :dunno:

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Boost12 said:
Why would I have to switch brake parts.. My brakes fit fine on the solid axle. And im not giving up my cobra brakes in the back. Its bad enoufgh that I gave my IRS setup wich is worth twice as much as a solid axle for no charge we simply traded. My brakes work fine on the solid so why would I give up my vented rotors for GT stuff :dunno:

I'm not talking about the brakes. They are fine (the calipers are the same on both cars). It's the rotors that won't work. Are you positive they fit? Like your Cobra rotors are on his solid axle and the brakes are operational? If that is the case then I am mistaken and will go bury my head in the sand. But I am pretty sure the only way to run Cobra rotors on an 8.8 is to switch the brake brackets to the 03/04 Mach 1 or 96-98 Cobra brake brackets. I think they are around a $100 and require pulling the axles to install them.

B

Boost12

Wharf Rat said:
I'm not talking about the brakes. They are fine (the calipers are the same on both cars). It's the rotors that won't work. Are you positive they fit? Like your Cobra rotors are on his solid axle and the brakes are operational? If that is the case then I am mistaken and will go bury my head in the sand. But I am pretty sure the only way to run Cobra rotors on an 8.8 is to switch the brake brackets to the 03/04 Mach 1 or 96-98 Cobra brake brackets. I think they are around a $100 and require pulling the axles to install them.
Yea were olmost 100% sure that my brakes work fine without swapping rotors because I talked to Hans today and he checked a bunch shit and said they should be fine... Could be wrong but olmost 100% sure :biggthump

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Wharf Rat was correct except the GT brakes have 10 inch rotors and the Cobra's are 11.75 inch.

I have had both on the back of my car and in your case, you would be just as well off switching the axles AND brakes completely.

There is really not any noticible difference in the stopping ability between the 2 setups.

Otherwise you are going to have to buy the larger Cobra caliper brackets to make the 11.75 inch rotors work on the GT. And new set of rotors too because the 10inch rotors won't operate correctly on the Cobra.

Dan

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
green99_svt said:
the calipers are not the same either. the cobra vented rotors are twice as thick as the gt non vented. that means that the cobra caliper needs to be wider to accoodate the pads and thicker rotor. i beleive the pistons are bigger for the cobra too

I have my original cobra calipers that I am using on GT brackets with GT rotors and GT pads. The GT pads are way thicker than cobra pads.

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
green99_svt said:
you my just be extending the piston further. it is possible to bolt cerctain rims to gt rear brakes and not on a cobra rear brake. i checked with my buddy in ford parts they carry different part numbers

The reason the GT rims don't always work is because of the diameter (not width) of the cobra ROTOR.

This isn't that hard. Cobra IRS = Cobra rotors & Cobra pads. Stock GT 8.8 = GT rotors & GT pads. There is no reason to piss with the calipers, lines, or cables (other than correct placement).

Actually, I had the Cobra pads on GT rotors for about 2,000 miles with no problems. I don't know for sure, but I doubt you could use new GT pads with the Cobra rotors. :dunno:

green99_svt

Regular
Oct 10, 2005
Wharf Rat said:
The reason the GT rims don't always work is because of the diameter (not width) of the cobra ROTOR.

This isn't that hard. Cobra IRS = Cobra rotors & Cobra pads. Stock GT 8.8 = GT rotors & GT pads. There is no reason to piss with the calipers, lines, or cables (other than correct placement).

Actually, I had the Cobra pads on GT rotors for about 2,000 miles with no problems. I don't know for sure, but I doubt you could use new GT pads with the Cobra rotors. :dunno:

i bet you could get a cobra caliper over a gt rotor without much trouble. but get to far down on the pads and they will fall out from the extra gap in the saddle. a gt caliper will not slip over a cobra rotor without some rubbing. this is because the cut in the saddle is not wide enough to accomodate the wider rotor. the cut in the saddle for the rotor to pass on a gt is about an inch and more like and inch and a quarter or so on the cobra's not doubting that it cant be done i would just hate to see a pad fall out from between the saddle and rotor as the gap is too great with that setup

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info